Author Topic: What drives away new players?  (Read 23577 times)

Threehundredpersians

• PGP
Re: What drives away new players?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 02:10:14 PM »
Well, I AM a newbie so I can tell you what I thought when I played my first round today. The physics were so retarded I thought I was in some messed up low gravity server and went to another one.

I found gameplay itself to be relatively easy. Get an automatic and strafe at inhuman speeds. Things like this and the jumping 400 feet into the air might be good for a custom server, but most people want the main game to be realistic and then branch off from there.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 03:06:47 PM »
I only discovered the game while waiting for another game to install so i rummaged around in my drive and found it. Then I saw you could change settings and it went uphill from there. What would be nice is a tutorial map and a menu option for it.
+10^1000

Please vote for target_help in the feature vote thread.
i'm gonna do it.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 03:40:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure slow  map downloads hurts alot of new players. I find that as the biggest turn off. That, next to the sounds.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 07:41:47 PM »
I think the number one reason, hands down, people don't even bother to play one game is the graphics. Why play something so ancient looking when there's things like TF2 and Crysis on the market?
Odd that you mention TF2.  That game took a very non-realistic approach with graphics, and many people have used it as an example of how it isn't the graphics that are important; it's the gameplay.

Sounds generate mixed responses.  Some people think they're the greatest thing (when I introduced Paintball2 to one of the large LAN parties around here, most of the people were laughing and having a good time with the crazy sounds).  Other people find them annoying.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 07:52:15 PM »
Thinking back, I think my major turn offs were:
-the default settings(solved by xbain's suggestion of a first time run-settings menu)
-the in game server browser:
--no way to sort the servers by name, # of players, etc
--no way to filter out passworded servers
--no way to filter out full servers
-no real online help as to how to play, warsow at least has a few videos on how to move around
-in my first newbie clan, I was constantly trash talked by a well known, repsected player, name beginning with y. I almost quit right then and never came back(funny to see him later on the forums as an advocate against newbie bashing.. haha :P).

There are probably more turn offs, but those are what spring to mind immediately. The in game server browser needs a huge revamp because, unlike what some people think, newbies don't know about serverbrowser.exe or All Seeing Eye :P

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 08:24:13 PM »
...Haze

Enough of your personal attacks, think about it for a few days.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 09:28:21 PM by KnacK »

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 11:22:41 PM »
TF2 may not be realistic, but in all respects, it's far from ugly. Wolfenstein looks more realistic than TF2, but it's not TF2 that's uglier.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 11:29:22 PM »
TF2 may not be realistic, but in all respects, it's far from ugly. Wolfenstein looks more realistic than TF2, but it's not TF2 that's uglier.

Wolfenstein 3D?  Awesome game.  :D

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 11:55:04 PM »
-in my first newbie clan, I was constantly trash talked by a well known, repsected player, name beginning with y. I almost quit right then and never came back(funny to see him later on the forums as an advocate against newbie bashing.. haha :P).

Durango put me up to it :P

Edit:  and where am I getting respect? :P  My apologies for any hard feelings.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 12:24:59 AM »
Wolfenstein 3D?  Awesome game.  :D

Yep. :D

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 12:50:31 AM »
Yep. :D

+1 :D

on topic:
I consider the graphics and sounds as the main turnoff, from what I have heard from friends that I showed this game. Trashtalk on pubs is really a minor thing in my opinion, which would also be difficult to get rid of.
I agree that the default settings should be better, maybe auto-dected? I guess if HR textures were shipped and activated with the installer, and only "well looking" maps were included in the installer as well, that would improve the first impression a lot.  As for sounds, they have been discussed for years, and nothing has ever changed (except for LEEEEEROOOY JENNNNKINNNNSS!!!, which I love but some others don't). So maybe that should be a priority for the next build as well.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 01:49:23 AM »
For sounds, you could always put up a link to the sound pack i have created. Advertise it as: No more annoying sounds, only the game essentials!

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 01:59:07 AM »
Can those sounds be previewed somewhere?

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2007, 06:05:40 AM »
In my opinion, the largest turn-offs for 1-time players are the graphics, in terms of maps. The models and other objects are alright, the marker models could be more interesting/attractive, but overall im not fussed.

I just know all the people I've introduced to it (apart from Reed, Sanch and WonTon) didn't like it due to the poor quality visuals. I think this is the problem of the map makers, which is why Reed and I try and step it up in that department. The engine - while limited - is capable of making good looking environments, especially with the reflective water (even though its a nightmare to use in conjunction with a detailed map). New initiatives by y00tz and others to push the envelope on map design and visuals should help to bridge the gap between other popular good looking Q2 mods, so while it's the number 1 problem for me, I don't think it deserves as much attention from the development team as the sounds, menu's/interface, etc...

The graphical style of DP is semi-serious, so the sounds are incongruous with that - a lot of new players often want realism and expect it from seeing screenshots, but then are presented with players whizzing round airtime with a barrage of simpsons soundclips, etc... TF2 might have a simple style by modern graphical standards, but it's art direction is absolutely fantastic, DP's is more confused I think.

I'm not saying I want a more serious game or anything, I like it the way it is, but the different aspects of the games presentation is out of sync and I feel it lowers the level of perceived quality for new players.

- Dagless

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 07:00:25 AM »
I agree with the Doctor.

If the default map pack that came with the program download included maps like rooftop, warehouse, and coi ( those 3 for example only) I think it might grab more player's attention.

Along those same lines, maybe have a default set of servers that are prepopulated in the server list from those that have been around for awhile and are stable.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 07:21:34 AM »
Durango put me up to it :P

I could see that happening :D

Edit:  and where am I getting respect? :P  My apologies for any hard feelings.

Maybe respect is too strong of a word :\... jk :), it's all good.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 09:27:56 AM »
I add "make a new default maplist". As i've stated before, the maplist needs to be re-done because it doesn't represent the current popular maplist.
OTB, QeHs and GT have good maplists nowadays but all new servers begin with a crappy serverlist so they have no chance in getting filled.

peeej

• PGP
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 10:02:55 AM »
I'm a newbie. I haven't even played yet. How new is that. I am not a real enthusiastic gamer. I am normally glad to turn off the computer after work.
I downloaded the game a couple of weeks ago when I was interested in getting a few good quality free games. I registered then. When it was finished downloading I didn't have any more time to do anything with it. Today I came across the download and installed it but cannot remember my password and couldn't find how t reset it myself. I have emailed Jitspoe a yahoo but I don't know if it a valid email address. I guess I am at the first turn off point.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 10:06:34 AM »
Nice to see you peeej, but you have a forum section: Help and Support.

This is the wrong thread to write your problems.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 10:11:41 AM »
Nice to see you peeej, but you have a forum section: Help and Support.

This is the wrong thread to write your problems.

He's describing his first turn off.  He has in fact already handled his situation.  This is the kind of thing we're looking to encourage in this thread.  It's not like he came in here and wrote "OMG I MADE MY ACCOUNT 2 WEEKS AGO AND FORGOT MY PASSWORD NO WONDER PEOPLE DON'T PLAY THIS GAME I CAN'T EVEN RESET MY OWN PASSWORD?!?! WHO'S IDEA WAS THAT?!?", now did he?