Author Topic: GO VOTE NOW!!! Mod of the Year 2007  (Read 11320 times)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: GO VOTE NOW!!! Mod of the Year 2007
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 01:39:46 AM »
Beyond Zorch's comment (which was 4/5 of my post... and thus my main point)

Hehe, sorry.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 02:01:50 AM »
Hehe, sorry.

I didn't mean to antagonize you, if it came off that way.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 04:16:55 PM »
You're correct, DP is not a jump mod.  However, you need to be a good jumper to compete in DP. 

Perhaps that is why you and sk89q aren't good.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »
You're correct, DP is not a jump mod.  However, you need to be a good jumper to compete in DP. 

Perhaps that is why you and sk89q aren't good.

I suck because I don't play that often.  :P

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 05:32:06 PM »
With that attitude, have fun driving the game into the ground ;)

Anyway, I don't get good at any games; I only strive to be sufficiently decent for my own personal enjoyment. Jumping has nothing to do with it—I happen to like jumping, especially in Paintball. However, to actually get good at a game, it takes dedication, but I only warrant enough play time until I get bored—not very much. In addition, for me there is no fun in be able to "pwn" another person in the world just because I can snap my mouse and press my keys a split second faster than the other person, so I don't bother with that either. Now, I'm not trying to say that I am good at all, but you have never seen me play to begin with, so clearly you're pulling excrement out of your lopsided end receptacle.

That aside, I'm pretty sure you're only insulting us because you're feeling affronted from the criticisms (not insults) that you mistook to be aimed at you. Get off your high perch; most gamers are hardly interested in playing a jump game. Even if someone were, Paintball 2 is hardly the game to get if you're really interested in jumping; far better games suited to that purpose are freely available. If you take a step back and take a look, you'll realize that at the moment, Paintball has very little going for it. The graphics are ugly, the textures are mediocre (though not ugly) at best, the engine is ancient, even the reflective water doesn't fit in the game, the sounds tend to get annoying, playing pubs is asking to be insulted, there is virtually no way to find out how to play "pro," and there are people like you who cannot even take a small piece of commentary for its value. I didn't criticize the jumping aspect because I was biased and trying to cause grief for anyone; I was trying to provide my objective views on the matter, unlike you. Framing the game entirely in the light of jumping is just asking for a death sentence.

That's my 2c.

P.S. I am pretty sure most people don't care a crap about competing. They're just playing to have fun. They have better things to do or better games to play too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 07:50:55 PM by sk89q »

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 08:44:56 PM »
The graphics are ugly, the textures are mediocre (though not ugly) at best...

sk89q, I hold your opinions higher than most, so I've got to ask for clarification, you say the graphics are ugly, yet the textures are mediocre.  I personally feel the textures are the low part of the graphics, whereas in my thinking, the graphics consist of models, textures (model textures, brush textures, and skyboxes), and lighting effects.   Clearly, we do not have per-pixel lighting, bloom, etc.  So lighting is pretty low, and the textures are clearly 10 years old.  However the new player models are pretty good, the gun models aren't too outdated.  They could easily be re-skinned and last another year or two (I'm relunctant to post screenies since it encourages modified content).  Could you elaborate with your definition of graphics?  :)

Sorry for typos, no Javascript on this machine.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 09:49:05 PM »
Oh no. The models are completely fine—in fact, I think they look really good (albeit the player animation is not great, but the model itself is good). It's really the textures I think, as I think it's the textures that really make or break a game. Bloom, special effects, nice round models, and all that jazz are good, but it could never replace textures. A game cannot stand on its own aesthetically with just effects and bad textures. However, it can stand on its own with good textures and no effects. When I said graphics, I meant textures. If we look at the "good-looking" maps we have, you'll see we are in a dire situation. Zen, as most of us have agreed on, looks better than most of our other maps, but if you look closely, it's far from beautiful. The textures and colors of the map do not really blend together well. It looks like whatever the closest texture was was used, and indeed this was probably true.

Your CTP goes in the right direction in solving our texture deficiency, but it feels flat and too pastel colored. I can't really firmly define what's so good or bad about it. I don't know; every time I see a map with just CTP textures or apply some to my map, I just feel like something is missing. Maybe it's because it's too pastel-like, or maybe not.

The textures in Paintball are not great, but they're not bad. It's still a lot better than a lot of free games. Really though, I think the best textures Paintball has are mostly suited towards grassy outdoor maps.

Detailed dynamic lighting would be nice, but I figure that's far too much for jitspoe.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 09:56:07 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, I comepletely agree with you., especially the CTP comments.

The CTP is pastel, to be honest, I never noticed how dull eveything looked until I saw some screenshots on a work computer where the brightness was as 80, and contrast 90.  (I cringed and turned them down to the 70 and 55 I respectively use)  If you, or anyone else for that matter, has a specific color tweak they'd like to see to a texture, dig up one of the CTP threads and let me know.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2007, 09:57:21 PM »
Ahh shoot, you replied before I could edit my post. My post, although it makes several points, seems to have no coherent train of thought. I wrote before I fully thought through what I was going to say.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 01:37:54 AM »
First of all, I have seen you play. (And yes, you're not very good.)

Second of all we were joking when we talked about the jump videos earlier, so stop writing 200 word essays focusing around that point alright?  I obviously didn't state that we should "frame the game around jumping."

And what is this garbage about me stepping back and taking a look?  As if we all didn't know that DP doesn't have a whole lot going for it at the moment.  However, DP has been growing more and more, so we'll see what happens in the future.

Anyways, perhaps you should think about what you write next time.  That's my 2c.

HadeZ

• PGP
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 03:13:39 AM »
First of all, I have seen you play. (And yes, you're not very good.)

Second of all we were joking when we talked about the jump videos earlier, so stop writing 200 word essays focusing around that point alright?  I obviously didn't state that we should "frame the game around jumping."

And what is this garbage about me stepping back and taking a look?  As if we all didn't know that DP doesn't have a whole lot going for it at the moment.  However, DP has been growing more and more, so we'll see what happens in the future.

Anyways, perhaps you should think about what you write next time.  That's my 2c.
Every time you talk you scream,  I'M A TOOL BOX and at you.
Anyways I voted and hope everyone else will to

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 08:40:49 AM »
the "scoreboard" page on the mod of the year award site is pretty worthless.  is there anywhere on there that i can check the total votes a mod has prior to december 20th?  i'd like to see how we're doing

Kaos

• VM-68
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 08:44:39 AM »
dont know how many votes we got but our ranking is
Rank
477 of 6,792

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »
The rank is connected to votes?  All  the games ranked higher than ours were updated more recent, where as those lowers were last updated earlier than ours. 

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 12:27:54 PM »

And stop throwing insults like a baby ;D You didn't need to say that either -- did you forget you can say things by your actions?

Perhaps you need to learn how to show a joke when it is one, or thinking before you talk and throw insults. That's my 4c now.

But anyway, let's drop this childish argument and forget about it. Truce? :D

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 01:08:33 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:03:05 AM by P!nk »

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 04:23:07 PM »
Yes you are right 2007 is going and we must look forward and we got and lost many things and one thing which is going to be disappear from our gathering is a topic of paintings so please vote this too and for information about paintings go here   oil paintings reproductions

:D

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 02:48:23 AM »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 02:48:53 AM »
Knack is about to turn your back into a red painting with his sharpened nails.

And I'm starting to like something I never thought I would... TF2. :O
Why in the hell would you NOT like TF2. Gimmie your SteamID.

EDIT: Okay, how in the world did that happen. Short term memory loss? I am ashamed. :<

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 06:36:48 AM »
:o made the top 100?

VOTE AGAIN!!!