Author Topic: What's with all the Kingpin maps?  (Read 2306 times)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
What's with all the Kingpin maps?
« on: December 09, 2007, 11:44:39 PM »
There are a lot of Kingpin maps in the various Paintball map archives. :| Most of them are uncoverted, but 3 happen to have been converted (by cujo).

They look nice... i.e.:
http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/map/pb_sickre/

Kingpin has nice textures, and they're downloadable too (see mirrors). Copyright aside... *cough*

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:07:34 AM by sk89q »

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: What's with all the Kingpin maps?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 12:20:47 AM »
There was some guy who came through a couple of years (EDIT: Just a couple months, apparently) ago, who worked on maps for paintball that had something to do with kingpin. His maps looked great, but didn't fit paintball's style, or gameplay. I thought he just made 2-3 maps and left, though.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 12:49:32 AM »
There are only 3 (to my knowledge) converted Kingpin maps; however, there are a lot of unconverted ones in various archives.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 01:56:59 AM »
is kingpin maps in the game DUke Nukem

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 06:34:30 AM »
There was some guy who came through a couple of years (EDIT: Just a couple months, apparently) ago, who worked on maps for paintball that had something to do with kingpin. His maps looked great, but didn't fit paintball's style, or gameplay. I thought he just made 2-3 maps and left, though.

That french dude? I dont think he finished any of his maps.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:25:04 AM »
I don't remember the French, but I distinctly remember playing one of his gray sewerish small two-level CTF maps, and an egyptian DM that was basically just a loop with a path through the middle.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 11:31:58 AM »
Surely those textures are commercial, no?

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 11:54:59 AM »
oh yeah! I really know this map... This was one of the first maps i ever played. And i enjoy this map. I want to see more like this on the pubs. Thanks that u remind me this map. I will put it on my server rotation.

I have all these textures ;)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:27:06 PM »
The textures are indeed very commercial.

The biggest problem with these maps, in my opinion, is that it is too much 'close combat.' One shot kills are not really accepting of these kind of maps. However, aesthetically, I find nothing wrong with playing paintball in a decrepit city of the roaring 30s. :B I will admit though, the textures are kind of dark, but they're stylish in their own way.

Not sure whether I like KP's textures or the CTP textures more. y00tz's CTP textures are very pastel-lish and lacking a lot of colorful "oomph"...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 10:16:58 PM »
For some reason most games of that era had this weird idea that they'd make these really dark textures then brighten them in-game.  Paintball2 is designed to run with "normal-brightness" textures, which makes the kingpin maps not work out very well.  That and they're commercial and can't be legally distributed, I don't think.