Author Topic: New Map - The Great Divide  (Read 8213 times)

cusoman

• Autococker
Re: New Map - Noname
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 10:56:20 PM »
Well, I love fire because its one of the engine features that really makes DP:PB2 look extraordinary and extends the engine far beyond its Q2 origins, and also, I like fire because it was only about a week ago that I learned how to put it in maps, and then put it in my map. :P  Also i do agree with getting a feel for a map, but when i first loaded up your map, I really did not know what to do so I went noclip and viewed your map from above.  When I enter a new map I would like it to be complicatedly straightforward in that its original but obvious in what to do.  I do not know exactly what makes a map obvious in what to do, but I know that lights do seem to help in a new map when you really do not know where to go.  Anyway, adding fire would definitely give your map another edge, and could provide the necessary lighting. Please consider these thoughts.
-Cusoman

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 06:35:49 AM »
just had a quick gander at it, my first impressions:

- you have a fair few misaligned brushes. The ice ramp at the blue side at the top. The outer wall in the water on the blue side. etc... if you need screenshots let me know.
- r_speeds with reflective water are very high, ~4000 at one point.
- what are the shards of wood about in the water?
- not being able to jump over the weird loopy things on the wooden platforms is annoying, you just bang your head on the skybox.
- the banks of the water areas are unrealistic, there isn't even a lip on the land - the water and grass line up exactly which looks unrealistic and weird. Try and put some of the muddy bank texture in, and angle them? Also, I had some trouble climbing out of the water nearest the bases, looking towards the base. <- we had this on Zen, no idea what caused it and it doesn't happen always.
- seeing as some people found it hard to navigate, you could do worse than use the arrow sign texture on the walls (which are pretty bare) to indicate directions to the bases, perhaps.

- Dagless

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 07:40:08 AM »
Screenies would be nice

What loopy things?

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 07:56:20 AM »

The last image is the loopy thing.

- Dagless

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 08:57:39 AM »
I assume you are talking to me about the shards of wood in the water idea?  Well, in my head, because there are many wooded things above the watery parts, in some areas he could make a decayed and partially burnt piece of the catwalk, with a little fire on it, and in the water below it would have a piece or pieces of broken off wood with there tips flaming.  This looks spectacular in my mind, and would give his map more definition and less "cookie-cutter" shape.

@Silly --- Still rooting for torches or fires, or a giant fire in the mid FTW!! And if you have time you could put little sticks with marshmallows on it over the fire. w00t for originality!
-Cusoman

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 11:13:16 AM »
Naw, i dont like the fire. It looks to cushy in my map.

Rick, how is that a loopy thing? :P And you cant jump on it. you can crouch on it, but why would you want to jump on them?

I think im gonna raise the sky

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »
Cusoman, I was talking about the actual shards of wood in the water in beta 2.

Silly, its the same texture as the platform so it just looks like loops running along the side. I don't have any clue what they are meant to be. You'd want to jump on them to get speed off the angled surface or mix up firefights along the length of the platform, etc... plus banging your head on the skybox in the normal course of a map is pretty unprofessional!

- Dagless M.D

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 01:25:22 PM »
Well, the reason they are there is so that

1. You can hide when there is a Fire fight
2. So you can hide when someone is running across the platform
3. So you can hide when your shooting down

There are more reasons that a player could use it for. I do agree with you, i will raise the sky. I think the shards of wood add to the map, but i think fire is just not necessary. I will also change the texture to another type of wood. The lighter, more orange type of wood.

As for the textures, they will be fixed and aligned. For instruction on where to go in the map... Play the map. I will add arrows, but anything else, IMO is not needed. If you play the map, look around. The whole purpose of choosing a map in a match is because you know the map by heart, you know where to line and camp.

Anymore things i need to fix?

Thanks for the suggestions

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 01:42:25 PM »
Sounds like you have a solid master plan then.  Can't wait to play beta 3 with the new small things fixed and added.  If you raise the sky you may want to add a launch pad or cannonish thing in the middle that launches you to the other base.  Could really wreak havoc in a match or giant pub battle.  If you do add something to the middle, it definitely should be original. Otherwise, keep up the good work.
-Cusoman

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 01:49:46 PM »
Im thinking that this map takes awhile from go to spawn a to spawn b, so im going to make some jumps that if made, will lead to the shortcuts. If anyone does not agree with me, please voice your opinon

Actually, skip that idea.

I just did some timing, and it actually does not take that long. I was at school when i typed that, so i did not know.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:54:57 PM by Silly »

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »
Beta 3 is done.

Cuso, i used fire :)

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »
w000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1   Fire!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  And with that out of the way, I suggest lowering the sky everywhere else back to its normal position because no u can see odd fragments of depth-less walls.  You should raise the sky above the catwalk a good deal so that you can jump of the looping things.
The only other thing you may consider is lining the walls of the mid with your newfound love for fire. Otherwise, great map so far.  Definitely coming together nicely.
-Cusoman

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
Yeah, i think i will consider putting fire around the mid.

Also, why does it matter to see a little bit of wall? So picky! :P

And lastly, i dont really see a point of being able to jump over the bunkers. Only purpose i had for them was to crouch under them. And you can go onto them, just crouch above them.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 02:07:35 PM »
Well, your choice about the loopy things and sky, but I know I attempt to jump off everything and anything, and your loopy things stop me, but again, its your choice.  Also fire around the mid sounds really nice. :)
-Cusoman

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2007, 09:06:11 AM »
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 12:55:25 PM by Silly »

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Map - The Great Divide
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 09:21:23 PM »
Personally, I don't think it's the most pretty map in the world (I don't like how some things like the little upside down U shaped things up high are put together), but I do think it is fun to move around and probably fun to play. I think if you threw some polish on it, it could be a really fun map to play :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2007, 01:30:07 AM »
Demo attached.  Map uploaded to beta server.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 04:31:05 PM »
Well, your choice about the loopy things and sky, but I know I attempt to jump off everything and anything, and your loopy things stop me, but again, its your choice.  Also fire around the mid sounds really nice. :)
-Cusoman

i think SOMEONE (hint cuso) has a fetish for fire.  :P

EDIT: silly a few things..
1. forget about making cusomans fire fetish come true. it looks really bad in your map. espicially being that it looks like a piece of wood is burning equalling in 5 different spots. just really werid so i say take it out.
2. make the sky even higher.. its unrealistic to be hitting your head on "sky"

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 08:42:28 PM »
Umm. Its also unrealistic to be going 120 mph when you go off a jump.

I realise you guys want to make a more realistic game, but these little details do not need to be addressed. Also, if you dont want to hit your head, then dont climb onto the little huts.

Yes, i do agree that the fire looks bad.

Thanks for your input rimini, but i slightly disagree :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2008, 07:59:01 PM »
Hitting your head isn't so much a realism detail as it is an annoyance.  Hitting invisible barriers is rarely fun :P  Also, paintballs will disappear when they hit it.