Author Topic: Running REALLY fast  (Read 3308 times)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
Running REALLY fast
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:34:48 AM »
I was wondering how people run so fast on matches. This isn't a cheat is it? coz it looks like people are just holding down a button.
To the mods: If it is a cheat then delete the topic if you want

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: Running REALLY fast
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:38:31 AM »
It's called strafing. You just need to learn how to do it.

Use this link to help you with it.
http://digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/reference/strategy

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:14:58 PM »
Strafe jumping, actually.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:03:24 PM »

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 01:18:33 PM »
On the first beat of the first 4/4 measure, you put your right foot forward. One the next one-count, you put your left foot out. Then you pause for an entire measure. Finally, you do the "bunny hop/strafe jump", which conisists of a forward hop, another hop, and another hop for a total of three, on the one, two, and three beats.

Repeat.

The advanced eR33t strafe technique is a sixteen beat choreography. In the first 12 beats make 6 shim sham steps - left, left, right, right, left, right.

In the next three beats make three jumps (that means both feet to both feet) and pause on the last beat.

Or, if you're one of those who prefers to have a chant it would go:
left-and-left-and
right-and-right-and
left-and-right-and
jump-jump-jump-pause

Good luck, and may god have mercy on your soul.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »
how do you control which foot you're putting out? or do you just use the a and d keys

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 03:12:55 PM »
Just use the a and d keys.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 07:10:32 AM »
while running i presume?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 08:13:14 AM »
Yes of course silly ;D

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 08:15:04 AM »
Does anyone actually use half beat strafe techniques in DP? Seems everyone uses single and double beat strafe.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »
Does anyone actually use half beat strafe techniques in DP? Seems everyone uses single and double beat strafe.

Nah, that was just one of Blitz's musings.  You just hold forward, alternate between holding left and right strafe and make sure that you press jump as you're about to hit the ground.  It helps to slowly move your mouse like 15-20 degrees in the direction that you're strafing to get a little bit more speed from the circle jump technique.

The `spedometer` command is really bad because it calculates an arbitrary MPH reading, and it also uses your hopper count, so it doesn't make it very effective while playing.  I've been playing Warsow for a little over a year and have just started getting into Q3 CPMA.  I find it very beneficial to see an accurate units per second reading on the side of my HUD as I'm moving, both when I'm practicing and often when I'm playing.  It really helps when trying to tweak movement, pick the fastest routes, etc.

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 09:31:09 PM »
oh I use half beat from time to time. Helps when u want to aim in one direction while jumping.

Are u describing half-beat. Because I go left/up, then right and repeat or vice versa with mouse 45 degrees or where I want to shoot at. If u go up/left then up/right it's slower. I find it slightly faster then single or double beat strafing though it's all is suppose to be the same.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 09:56:13 PM »
I meant like moving your mouse left/right a little bit in the direction you're strafing.  You're going to try to jump just as you hit the ground each time to get the best speed possible.  This is easier to learn on flat maps, and a little harder on terrain-ish maps where since you have to account for the different heights/angles of the ground.