Author Topic: Voice of community  (Read 18174 times)

P!nk

• Autococker
Re: Voice of community
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »
If you're talking specifically to me and not just mods in general, I'm flattered.

Someone, please, drain his ego, it's suffocating us all. :(

I've taken a step back from all of this in the last day, and in retrospect, I think that I'm really to blame for starting all of this. 

I really don't think that's true.

edit: with all of this talk about who is to blame for what, this song seems so fitting.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »
Please leave all local bans up to the server admins so that they can manage their own server as they see fit.

This is the stance we (DarkP Server Admins) are taking at the moment; we are the victims and it is really up to us and the committee to decide the necessary action to take. Our personal strategy is to leave this up to the committee to decide what they will do, after this, if we feel it necessary, we will start taking our own measures against the offenders who maliciously attacked OUR server. We are more than willing to help the committee by providing information or logs from our server.

Personally, although i feel everyone has the right to state their opinion, i think the committee should only take into account the arguments put forward by the server owners. If there was any abusive behaviour between forum members then this is a separate subject, and should be treated as such. If people wish to make complaints then email a committee member, but don't drag this through the public forum, it will only serve to hamper your complaint, and legitimate points can be lost in flaming and subjective drivel.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2007, 02:07:07 PM »
I say let the server admins decide what they want to make the punishments... and let them make them based solely off what they want to do...

Leave the committee out of it.

Let the server admins ban brock sk89 and sonny accordingly...

I dont even see why this issue needs the committee... dont global ban them... let Lekky XBain Reed T3RR0R15T Picasso and Sonny pick the ban times for the people who crashed THEIR servers...

anyone else feel the same way?

hellHOUNDz

• Stingray
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2007, 02:10:27 PM »
Yah Man, I feel the same way brother.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2007, 02:24:56 PM »
You answered your own question there. Some people are easier to forgive than others because they have chosen to be good and helpful.

so do you believe this to be the right way to moderate a forum? any real Mod would have banned him, regardless if he is an "outstanding" member or not. if you are going to ban one person for a mild attack on someone else. ban them all. don't choose favorites.

If you're advocating mods crack down on those who even midly insult others, and deliver retroactive bans for those comments, you yourself would probably be banned for years by this point.

as a matter of fact i am surprised i haven't been banned for things i have said in the past. but we are not talking about me here. still to the point. thanx.

If you're talking specifically to me and not just mods in general, I'm flattered.

oh please. you and i both know you are not a Mod, so you should have known that sentence was not directed towards you. maybe next time i should specify.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2007, 02:35:38 PM »
nah my bad... I'm just frustrated today lol and needed to vent anger... so i took it out on forums.. lol sorry erad

It's fine, Don't worry about it.

But anyways, I am overwhelmed at how just sick and depressing this thread has become. Y2J I'm on your side but just let it go man, Knack isn't gonna give sk89q his ban he deserves and that isn't gonna change. Just stop complaining about it until this happens again. ::)
I think everyone needs to chill and just drop it.

Lock this thread
-erad

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2007, 03:04:32 PM »
Sorry, it's just that you quoted me your post, and didn't really make any reference to anyone else before the mod comment. :3

I do think those that have contributed to the community should be more easily forgiven than those that haven't. They shouldn't get a free pass, but from what I know of the post, it wasn't vulgar, and wasn't even that bad. If he'd been being insulting and generally destructive in the past, it would probably be enough to ban him. But he's been nothing but helpful and constructive, so I think it's forgivable.

And yes, this thread needs to be locked, and all discussion of this topic needs to be stopped until the committee makes a decision or we get some magic new piece of information. Both sides have made their points about three times each, and no progress is being made either way.

HadeZ

• PGP
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2007, 03:12:20 PM »
I smoked two whole cigarettes while reading bains entire post there.  I had to clap out the syllables and sound out the words.  Sometimes I even clapped 4 times the words were so big.  I am exhausted =(

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »
I find it interesting that people think that I banned Sonny from the servers. I banned him from the forums, then unbanned him shortly after.
I only have 1 voice in 10 as to who gets a global ban.

Bain: Yes I probably should not have said that.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2007, 12:03:03 PM »
OK, I was away for two days because of my job and knew that this situation will go this way again. I still hope that this thread will be kept open for reasons stated in my first post, it is why I reopened this issue again.

One thing I wanna point out. Some of the people here are asking for time level ban according to the number of servers they crashed. Well, Sonny didn't get some scale for his ban, he got 32 days immediately. So, going by the max first offense ban time, everyone should be treated equally, put aside who they are and what they do. If Knack , y00tz or Jits crashed other people servers I would ask the same thing.

Think about it, and don't flame, I'm waiting for committee to resolve this issue, to say here the result so we can all discuss it further.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2007, 12:36:52 PM »
Who really cares about crashing servers... It's not like they hacked into the database and stole passwords or something.  Or actually used a hack.  Or even caused any long-term damage. 

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2007, 12:47:10 PM »
All of the server admins who had their servers crashed?

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2007, 12:58:52 PM »
So now that they had their servers crashed, they had these outcomes:

Negative:  Their server was down for several seconds, to a couple hours, depending on how long they took to restart.  Maybe lost a few pub players.

Positive:  Now they know how to deal with the "menace"

Am I missing anything?  Because what I see there isn't really ban worthy at all.  I guess it's kind of like the "banning for multiple accounts" thing too.  basically people just want to ban each other.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2007, 01:13:37 PM »
You are right Queenie, only last week my mate got stabbed.

Negative: No lasting damage done, few days in the hospital, maybe lost a bit of blood.

Positive: He now knows not to walk in that area in the dark by himself.

I guess its kind of like getting your phone stolen. basically people just want to put each other in prison.

(Yes thats a dumb post, but I made it for a reason.)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »
Queenie, as far as I'm concerned you are on thin ice as you're one of those intelligent players who decided to repeatedly 'test' the exploit on lots of servers including mine. If the commitee doesn't dole out adequate punishment to all involved in my eyes, then everyone even suspected of it are going to be permanently banned from my servers. I nor any of the other server admins pay our money for people like you to casually attack our servers, regardless of how long they were down.

The only person who may have mitigated their actions in some small way is sk89q I believe, however I still think a ban of some description is in order.

I don't really care what you think about how minor your actions were, people like bain and snipen put a LOT of money into hosting servers for ingrates like you, and you just take the piss out of their charity.

- Dagless

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2007, 02:10:06 PM »
Who cares about your servers.  Does it really look like I'm going to be playing on some newbie pub german server?

Enough.  It's posts like these that make a mess out of the forums
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 01:33:33 AM by jitspoe »

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2007, 08:08:47 PM »
One thing I wanna point out. Some of the people here are asking for time level ban according to the number of servers they crashed. Well, Sonny didn't get some scale for his ban, he got 32 days immediately. So, going by the max first offense ban time, everyone should be treated equally, put aside who they are and what they do. If Knack , y00tz or Jits crashed other people servers I would ask the same thing.

exactly what i have been saying. good man.

Who really cares about crashing servers... It's not like they hacked into the database and stole passwords or something.  Or actually used a hack.  Or even caused any long-term damage. 

you never know what could have happened. like i said before, by crashing the server, somehow the config or something else could have gotten messed up. that could have wasted plenty of the admins time to fix. excrement happens, and i wouldn't have been surprised if something along those lines did happen by crashing a server.

You are right Queenie, only last week my mate got stabbed.

Negative: No lasting damage done, few days in the hospital, maybe lost a bit of blood.

Positive: He now knows not to walk in that area in the dark by himself.

I guess its kind of like getting your phone stolen. basically people just want to put each other in prison.

(Yes thats a dumb post, but I made it for a reason.)

i still don't get why some of you insist on bringing real life incidents in for comparison. what does an online server have anything to do with a person being stabbed?

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2007, 11:55:33 PM »
Brock, you are wrong, no one was jerk to you.

As did y00tz said.

Please keep it civil. Much harm can be done for locking again this kind of topic Y2J made and Viciouz, than no harm can be done to act like grown up human beings. Keep it open minded, that goes for all.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2007, 01:43:03 AM »
What was it that sk89q said that everybody is making such a huge deal about, anyway?

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2007, 05:37:58 AM »
It's more what he have done.

He insulted Y2J, that is a fact.

He crashed the servers, that is a fact (so have many others).

I'm actually waiting for committee to resolve this, it may have been blown out of proportion as some suggested, but this will be a really good test for them. Since they represent the community as a whole, and there are two diferent opinions on the subject, I'm very interested on how will they resolve this issue.