Author Topic: clan [UpF]  (Read 4678 times)

simple@

• PGP
clan [UpF]
« on: December 20, 2007, 05:29:05 AM »
hiya guys i am just starting up a clan and wanting some one to help lead the clan i have already asked At mays(waiting 4 message) but meanwhile i am having problems finding a dep leader i am looking for a well experienced player pm me if you want the job

Thanks simple

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: clan [UpF]
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:57:17 AM »
atmays is already busy leading the -uR- clan (pretty well it seems), so I don't think he'll be able to help much in that regard.

As cool as it is to have your own clan with a name that you picked out, it's usually better to start off in an established clan that uses IRC.  But depending on your skill/experience level, this may be rather difficult since the leaders of these clans usually expect all recruits to already be at a particular skill level.  I know that you want to just start a clan and have some really good players decide to join so that you can start winning some matches or make a good name for your clan on pub servers, but almost every decent player has their sights set on a better, more established clan.

I noticed that you've created a number of clans by yourself that have gone without members, and you've been a member of a couple clans that at one point in time had an IRC channel, but judging from the Former Member list, it looks like they were invite spamming players to try to increase their member count.  If you actually want to go ahead and lead a clan, you have to make a serious commitment to the clan.

I've been a clan leader for about 8 years and have started about 5 new clans in that time.  I've never created a clan by myself alone.  Each and every time, I've had at least 3-4 other players commit to joining my clan before it's even created.  It's much easier to recruit other members if you can establish a reliable group of 4-5 people first.

Since you brought up atmays, let's use him as an example.  atmays started playing with the average skill level of any new player.  I believe he had a couple of friends from his school who all started playing around the same time, so naturally they decided to form a noncompetitive clan so that they could wear a tag and use a cool funname.  Then they decided to run a server with some server settings that made it more appealing for new players to play (short respawn times with easy to understand maps).  Not only did they have this server, but they actually played in it which attracted other players (no one likes joining an empty server) to play there as well.  Through this server they were able to recruit a bunch of players who were all at roughly the same skill level as they were.  As atmays and his friends gained more and more experienced, they also had a growing clan of players with a variety of different skill levels.

When atmays decided to create -uR-, a more competitive clan he had the opportunity to handpick the better handful of players from his existing clan and with this core group of players and friends he was able to start focusing on getting better to win matches.  Now they're a pretty successful "new-generation" clan.

It's really hard to recruit players backwards (from their existing good clan to a new clan), so you're really going to have to take the time to get to know a bunch of people who are a little bit better than you (don't start hanging out in #team_cc and expect in 6months that their best players will want to join your clan because you think you're friends with them [even if they are]).  My best advise in all of this would be to get into an established team (even just InT/WsL if you meet their requirements) that already has decent leadership and start to get to know people in and around your skill level in the competitive community.  Hopefully the right time comes along when you can create your own team and start with a group of people you get along with, as opposed to starting one all by yourself.