Author Topic: Is full-time Paintball 2 development feasible?  (Read 13586 times)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: Is full-time Paintball 2 development feasible?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »
Google ads would be a great start.

The 'unlockable content' idea would work for maybe a month.  You would need to constantly be releasing new content, unless you have to subscribe to a monthly membership.  I don't know of any FPS games where you have to pay a monthly fee to play.  That could potentially kill the current player base.

In-game ads are probably your best route.  Getting them in maps is pretty much out of the question because no one would be forcing Mr no-name to put ads in his map.   You would have to put the ads on the scoreboard or put them on the "Loading" screen, and maybe add that screen to when you connect to a server (instead of the console).  Like that black space right below the console when you are connecting.  Make use of it.

Actually, if you got a new map format going, and only released the editor to a select few people, then the in-game ads might be a bit more feasible.  But then you'll have like 20 maps tops for the first few months.  And the mappers would be putting their own free time into making you money.  Not sure if they would go for that.

I also think it might help a little (not much, but still) if you had a "donate" link somewhere.

Anyway, I'll be glad to help if need be.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 02:10:41 PM »
I'm not a big fan of site ads in general - thus the reason I suggested unobtrusive in-game ads.  I suppose one of the perks could be to disable the forum ads.  I pay for the forum/dplogin server myself, so I can do whatever I want with it, but I also think gamespy allows for google ads.

The way in-game ads would have to currently work is by having the ad server provide coordinates for ad placements in existing maps.  I could probably come up with an algorithm that finds a nice, flat wall to put ads on, then on the maps it doesn't work too well on, manually place them.

simple@

• PGP
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 02:21:31 PM »
i think the advertisement situation is a great idea if possiable you could advertise like clan creation websites or somthink.......anyway i hope you work this out:)

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 02:49:14 PM »
The way in-game ads would have to currently work is by having the ad server provide coordinates for ad placements in existing maps.

Wouldn't you have to ask the mapper for permission to do this? I think what Zorch said still holds true and mappers might be a little annoyed that you're making money off of their work, although personally i wouldn't be particularly concerned, only if it altered the look or style of the map considerably.

From the suggestions i still feel that the scoreboard is the best way to display in-game adverts, perhaps a 'scores sponsored by:' and a banner, but i think the scoreboard would need modifying, particularly the size. You could also set the scoreboard to appear during the 5 seconds between rounds, which could mean it is shown for around 5-10 minutes (depending on how many rounds) per map (including at the beginning and end). The ad would appear for about 8 hours per day on one server, and would also get exposed to many more people in game than it would on the forum, which means you can charge more for it.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 03:11:14 PM »
The map is never "violated" from my point of view. DP2 never changes the map in any way, it simply renders it differently.

Its like making a picture with photoshop, then opening it in paint.

Edit: actually, here's a better example: opening a web page with different browsers.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 03:23:02 PM »
I say put the ads on the scoreboard and maybe go with Google ads also I'd be willing to help in anyway I can just let me know.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 03:24:05 PM »
The map is never "violated" from my point of view. DP2 never changes the map in any way, it simply renders it differently.

Its like making a picture with photoshop, then opening it in paint.

Edit: actually, here's a better example: opening a web page with different browsers.

For me this is like putting a '50% off at GAP' voucher between the glass frame of the Mona Lisa, your not technically changing the picture, but its not quite the same to look at.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 03:29:27 PM »
Difference is, the mona lisa could only be looked at there.
If you wanted, you could load the map in any of the many quake 2 based engines out there, ad free.

Im not trying to create any problems here or anything, I'm just pointing out that the authors of the maps couldnt really do anything to stop jitspoe from doing that, other than licencing their work or something, I guess.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 03:55:37 PM »
Hehe, I know, i was being sarcastic :P

Thinking on, and doing a bit of brainstorming, would it be possible to get paintball brands into the game?

We know that the engine limits the design of each gun, but is it possible to modify the appearance of hoppers, guns, and barrels etc to cater for specific manufacturers? This way people could pay to unlock all the different makes (although they'd all essentially be the same) and customise their player. Perhaps the global login system could then link to a global profile of the player, which states which make of each gun they use.

Of course you could customise the jerseys, but what about the gender, the skin colour, even the hair colour?

You could even have a rendered model in the game menus where people could create a 'character' by selecting different appearance features and equipment.

You could have preset jersey designed (like football (soccer) shirts), striped, chequered, cross hatch etc. where players/clans could select different colours. So they'd have four different kits to cater for the colours in the game, and each kit would have one preset dominant colour (red, blue, purple or yellow) and a colour (from a preselected list, not including any of the other 3 colours as to avoid mistaking teams) the players could decide on themselves. Then player numbers and names on the back.

Obviously the problem here is the limitation caused by the content checks to make sure there are no illegally modified skins.

Just throwing some ideas out there to get you thinking. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 05:37:44 PM by Reed »

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 09:39:19 PM »
would it be possible to get paintball brands into the game?

This way people could pay to unlock all the different makes (although they'd all essentially be the same) and customise their player.

You could even have a rendered model in the game menus where people could create a 'character' by selecting different appearance features and equipment.

You could have preset jersey designed (like football (soccer) shirts), striped, chequered, cross hatch etc. where players/clans could select different colours.

You'd basically be turning the game into Greg Hastings Tournament Paintball. :D

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 10:50:40 PM »
Jits I have the perfect idea. Move in with mommy and daddy and have them pay all your bills including internet. ;D

marth

• Stingray
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 02:52:00 AM »
Of course you could customise the jerseys, but what about the gender, the skin colour, even the hair colour?

You could have preset jersey designed (like football (soccer) shirts), striped, chequered, cross hatch etc. where players/clans could select different colours. So they'd have four different kits to cater for the colours in the game, and each kit would have one preset dominant colour (red, blue, purple or yellow) and a colour (from a preselected list, not including any of the other 3 colours as to avoid mistaking teams) the players could decide on themselves. Then player numbers and names on the back.

Obviously the problem here is the limitation caused by the content checks to make sure there are no illegally modified skins.

Just throwing some ideas out there to get you thinking. 
not to mention that they wouldnt even need modified skin at a certain point, if someone could make a person wear completely(or even somewhat) black, why would they need a skin? they'd pretty much be cheating legally :/

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 06:40:11 AM »
not to mention that they wouldnt even need modified skin at a certain point, if someone could make a person wear completely(or even somewhat) black, why would they need a skin? they'd pretty much be cheating legally :/

Thats why I said predmoninatnly one colour, the black could just be trim and would give no real advantage.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2016, 07:42:17 PM »
What you need is built in irc and web browser. Real time ads on maps. Func_adspace_#

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 10:41:34 AM »
wulf how dare you. 2007? really?