Author Topic: Feature: Ragdoll death animation / Decent physics engine  (Read 21806 times)

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Ragdoll death animation / Decent physics engine
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »
A separate rigidbody physics system that could be used to implement ragdoll deaths. :3

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 12:37:53 PM »
what would this mean for r_speeds?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »
Nothing.
Rendering |= physics

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 03:20:05 PM »
|= != !=

Get it right. C-style for the win.

wafflez205

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 04:09:32 PM »
YA GO RAGDOL PHYSICS! its hilarious! like on bf2 when you get shot when you're climbing a ladder and fall bouncing of the rungs

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 04:17:16 PM »
YA GO RAGDOL PHYSICS! its hilarious! like on bf2 when you get shot when you're climbing a ladder and fall bouncing of the rungs
I don't think we will be able to get that detailed of a physics engine.  The physics engine alone will strain some of the lower level systems that run the game currently .  The engine you described has the possibility of killing some peoples computers.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 06:45:24 PM »
I say entirely clientside and optional, to keep it from locking out those with lower-end computers. Why not be able to handle simple (small)  physics props as well in a map?

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 06:50:47 PM »
Oops, didn't the client side part.  If it is client side, then why not go all out and have a menu to control different parts of the engine like in Crysis and some of the newer age games. 

SWSoggyWaffles

• Stingray
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 10:46:35 AM »
If there will be even a primitive physics engine with PB, it should at least allow for  better physics with props than there is now, like if you make a barrel physical now, it never tips over or rolls or anything. Or even physics with the models of the guns and ammo, so that when you add them in BSP, they don't have to be frozen objects you phase through.There should be more physics with things like that so they don't have their angles constraint. At least that would make for more fun maps.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »
Presumably implementing a physics engine in DP would cause a massive overhaul in how ball flight works and how players move around maps.

Assuming that is the case, you can say goodbye to gameplay on any of the airtimes, propaints, shazam33, etc... because even a tweaked physics implementation wouldn't be able to mimic the physics style we have now. Personally, I couldn't care less but I'm sure all the fanatics who can't get enough of Ice and Ramps would soon regret their voting this in, even if they are in love with the idea of seeing their friends suffer a grand mal seizure when they get hit by a paintball.

- Dr Rick

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 07:39:08 PM »
The current physics would (and should) not be changed. What would be added would be another engine to specifically deal with the player's corpses as they died and how they bounce around and whatnot. I'm not proposing any changes, just an addition.

EDIT: And can we please merge this and the 'Prop physics' thread, or at least lock one of the two? These discussions are running parallel.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 08:29:23 AM »
They're two completely different requests.  You're the one who started talking about ragdolls in the props thread.  If you want to talk about ragdolls, do it here.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »
Oh, I was under the impression the other request was just for a physics engine. Never mind, then. My bad.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2008, 09:29:48 AM »
I know this would mess with GPL, but....

http://www.havok.com/content/view/582/53/

:D:D:D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
I know this would mess with GPL, but....

http://www.havok.com/content/view/582/53/

:D:D:D

Yeah, I heard about that, but like you said, I don't think it would be possible to make it play nice with the GPL license.  Plus it would be a pain to get it integrated with the BSP system.

FacePainter

• PGP
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 04:18:51 AM »
like warrock :D lol

ashkenaz

• VM-68
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 08:03:47 AM »
physics engine: ode, bullet, newton, opal (hate it), and if you use 3dsmax, reactor...

I'm not sure what you expect me to implement here - basically the only things that move are players and paintballs, and changing the behavior of either typically causes big upsets.

you wouldn't change the movement, you would be able make things like crates that fall over when you fly into them, and peoples bodies flailing around, past your head, right at you. its a GAME not real paintball, have you noticed you can jump 50 feet and live, not only that you can jump at 50 mph, ragdoll physics would be a sweet perk especially if the speed the bodies were moving at were overpowered. i remember last time i brought this up in irc, i was shot down and mutilated (so im very scared now).

P.S. maybe another feature where you can turn off ragdolls and go to animation  that should make some people happier. ;D

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »
maybe another feature where you can turn off ragdolls and go to animation
I say entirely clientside and optional

physics engine: ode, bullet, newton, opal (hate it), and if you use 3dsmax, reactor...
The current physics would not be changed.

ashkenaz

• VM-68
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »
i don't read -.-      i think only props and ragdolls should be affected by the engines, that way jumpers could do their thing plus have cool ragdolls and barrels, the ball flight should not be affected either, keep the old gameplay feel with new perks, nothing else should change...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 02:00:51 PM »
That's the idea, at this point.