Author Topic: Feature: New map format  (Read 27721 times)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Feature: New map format
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »
why not have multiple map formats supported?  ??? or would that go along with this...
It depends if we can convince Jitspoe to break backwards compatibility.  :)

i dont see how supporting multiple map formats would break backward-compatibility.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 08:36:53 PM »
i dont see how supporting multiple map formats would break backward-compatibility.

Sorry I worded that poorly.  I want to just move to a new map format and break compatibility.

ashkenaz

• VM-68
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 07:43:57 AM »
ahhh backwards compatibility, like waiting for your younger siblings to grow up before you do... if people want to play whats hip they will upgrade, if they cant handle it, they will downgrade, nothing bad about that!

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 08:07:27 AM »
If we get rid of backwards compatibility, the fresh start for the maps would be good.  5000+ maps and only a hand full are played.  There are countless maps that have great game-play and look great but don't get any server play time.  Even if people will recreate the old maps, with harsher map release requirements, the recreations will need to look and play great before they are able to be played.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 09:24:54 AM »
My only concern is that,

A) People won't want to upgrade because they can't play their favorite map.

or

B) There will be a big rush to create new maps and we'll be in the same situaiton we are now, with a bunch of quickly and poorly constructed maps.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »
Maybe add the new format and slowly phase the old one out over 2 or 3 builds.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 10:21:23 AM »
ViciouZ, I like your idea.  It addresses the biggest concern, poorly made maps.  By slowly easing into a new format, it will give time to the good mappers to do their magic.

Check out my idea and leave some feedback too.  My idea directly relates to the new map format.
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=13369.0

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 08:06:31 AM »
Old maps MUST be playable with any new map format introduction. This is a MUST, I don't even see why its being discussed. (Unless I have hte wrong end of the stick here)

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 08:52:42 AM »
I think you misunderstand.  ViciouZ as do many others, see that if in fact, the map format gets rid of the old map support, it can't be a sudden change.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »
Old maps MUST be playable with any new map format introduction.
Nah, I'm redy for some new maps. I'm sick of:
clan1: what's your map?
clan2: blitz

or

clan3: what's your map?
clan4: ub_cliff

We really need some new maps!

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2008, 11:50:20 AM »
I was just throwing it out there - personally I don't want to totally switch, I doubt people would have enough perseverance to remake maps like summer and perfugio - DT certainly won't.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 01:00:44 PM »
have a program to convert .map files into the new format? As long as you have the .map file still, DT...
Oh yeah, he was banned! lol.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »
have a program to convert .map files into the new format? As long as you have the .map file still, DT...
Oh yeah, he was banned! lol.
Bad idea.  You can get almost any .map from the OTB ftp server.  Not a good idea due to the fact that people will just rip off someone else's work plus the simple fact that the program would be difficult to write.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 01:26:39 AM »
You can get almost any .map from the OTB ftp server.

ooh, crap. Forgot about that one lol!.

I was just throwing it out there - personally I don't want to totally switch, I doubt people would have enough perseverance to remake maps like summer and perfugio - DT certainly won't.
So they make new maps?! That is one of the major reasons for doing this.

hackedplayer

• PGP
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2011, 09:59:20 PM »
there is one problem..... WHERE THE HECK IS THE Q3 MAP EDITOR I SEARCHED UP THE INTERNET AND IT GAVE ME USELESS RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
besides if you want to move the game up one generation, think of those who have slow pc that only can support q2 instead of q3. I know there is very few people with these computers but just show empathy towards them. they might miss out those cooool maps. for example. I wanted MW2 so badly because it is fun (no offence to digital paintball 2) but my computer...low hardware specs I might as well play it them suddenly BOOOM my pc overheats and explodes. so think about them jitspoe... STAY Q2

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2011, 05:28:43 AM »
So you're saying that we shouldn't change the game for the better, just so you and those with crappy computers can play? May as well tell Jitspoe to stop developing it now then... Or did I misunderstand?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, 03:41:11 PM »
It might be a pipe dream, but I would like to have a map LOD system that would allow people with lower end computers to turn the details down and maintain playability on some of the older systems.  Collision could be a bit wonky, though.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2011, 04:21:14 PM »
Yeah. Personally I'd like the game to not use 100% CPU so I could play it on my laptop without making it get too hot.

NJIN

• VM-68
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
having hundreds of maps is part of why this games is so great

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
50 really good made maps would increase the quality of the game a lot. In my opinion the hundreds of unfinished maps and bugmaps is one of the worst parts of the game. Also it doesn't really help to attract new players.

However, it has nothing to do with the topic. I'm pretty sure that old maps would be also playable with a new map format.