Author Topic: Feature: Display 'Hints and Tips' somewhere in DP  (Read 18042 times)

FlaMe

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Display 'Hints and Tips' somewhere in DP
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 07:51:11 PM »
i think linking them here or to mirc.com would be the best for noob players.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 07:51:58 PM »
If we were to implement tips, which is a great idea, then it should be both triggered tips and things while loading the map, and things that pop up when you enter a server.  I suggest all people that join the server start in Observer though, so they are not reading tips when they spawn and die.  Also, many times I have to explain to new people how to join a team when they are observer, so when you are observer, there should be an ongoing message saying "Hit Escape to get the in game menu, and select Join Team to play!" or something to that effect.
-Cusoman

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »
as well as a way to disable them but leave them on as a default as there are more noobs than good players. if i got console spammed during matches or pubs id be pretty mad

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 08:35:09 PM »
just have it a client side thing. that way they can disable when they feel ready and confident.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 11:45:09 PM »
Yeah, it would have to be client side, and the tips would display maybe twice then stop, or could be disabled completely in the options.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 01:25:56 AM »
maybe make it customizable? let them choose how they want them to show and how many times they want them to show.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 01:45:41 AM »
If you've figured out how to customize something like that, you probably don't need it.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 06:07:27 AM »
man makes a good point. why post reminders for yourself?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »
Now that there is a client-side stats system in place, it might be possible to do some basic triggered stats (you picked up the flag! take it to your base to score points), but how should they be displayed? The only feasible way at the moment would be an image overlay as far as I can see.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 01:29:34 PM »
* KnacK envisions an audible Tints and Tips...

"OK n00b Viciouz, you got the flag, now go cap it before your team mates gang rape you!"
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:28:23 PM by KnacK »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 02:48:53 PM »
Now that there is a client-side stats system in place, it might be possible to do some basic triggered stats (you picked up the flag! take it to your base to score points), but how should they be displayed? The only feasible way at the moment would be an image overlay as far as I can see.

As long as it is a smaller image out of the way.  I hate it when there is a larger overlay telling you what to do thats in your way (like in TF2, "You are on the Blu team.  You are attacking").

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »
The audio thing is interesting, but without "noob".

lilb990

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
IMO That's too distracting

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
* webhead can do teh voiceovers. ;D

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 05:42:48 PM »
The audio thing is interesting, but without "noob".

Fixed, see my post above. ;D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 10:24:41 AM »
I think some "beginner tips" could be useful, but they would need to be something people can disable.  I was thinking at some point it would be nice to have like arrows that direct new players toward the flag/base.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 10:36:11 AM »
I was thinking at some point it would be nice to have like arrows that direct new players toward the flag/base.
Yea, but the obvious problem with that is that the arrow might not actually point to the best way to get to the base like in backtoback, etc.
Or you could have some kind of 'path' within bsp to allow you to set the fastest way to the base... but that might get abused (lead into a death trap, etc)

Didnt you say something about there only being a certain amount of things that you can put on the HUD? Or would this not be a HUD thing? Is image overlays already on the HUD?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
This would probably have to wait until the bot code was improved and the arrows could use path finding from that.  The arrows would be 3D, not on the HUD.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
I think there should be 2 different kinds of hints.

1. Hints that scroll along the bottom in a nice fancy partially transparent good looking box like, "You have the flag, run and capture it at your base!"

2. A "tutorials" menu where various tutorials load up various common maps, and have a billboard arrow labeled: "Red Base This Way --->"  Also we could have that entity that prints messages to the screen print messages to the new shiny partially transparent hint box saying "Follow the arrows to learn the basic layout of the map!"  "This map has 2 basic routes, lets go exploring!"  All of these entities and billboard models could be placed with .ent files that the tutorials load, but not the regular game.  :)  This seems fairly implementable without a great deal of changes to the current engine.  Maybe support .tent files :) (tutorial ent files. also so you can learn to camp. PUN!)

-Cusoman

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »
This would probably have to wait until the bot code was improved and the arrows could use path finding from that.  The arrows would be 3D, not on the HUD.
Or physically in the map on the floor, maybe? Just a thought. It would require some mapmaking work, and somelazy mappers might not be bothered about noobs getting stuck on their 'amazing' maps