Author Topic: Semi-auto firing...  (Read 10434 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Semi-auto firing...
« on: January 26, 2003, 06:22:41 PM »
This would likely be greatly hated, but what would everyone think of the idea of making it so the semi-autos and pumps would fire one ball per click?

Anrkist

• VM-68
Re: Semi-auto firing...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2003, 07:41:37 PM »
i dont really like the idea of having to hit my mouse button all the time... BUT Ive done it in other games.. it isnt hard to learn or anything but I think it would make the gameplay diffrent and alot of people would have to relearn things.. im not sure thats a good idea... but also the user base right now isnt on a large scale , if your going to do something drastic like that now would be the best time to impliment it in case this game really takes off wouldent want a excrement load of people getting pissed off =]

And.. IF you decide to test this (why not add it and just give server admins the option to use it or not ??) leave the vm68 , traccer and stringray alone.. they are poor enough as is =]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2003, 07:45:06 PM by Anrkist »

Shreds

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 08:27:22 PM »
You supply me a mouse that doesnt make a *click* noise, and i'm fine with it. Other then that, everyone will hate hearing rapid fire clicks all night outside their bedrooms.

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2003, 08:51:05 PM »
I actually think this is a great idea.

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2003, 10:26:26 PM »
Hey, I rape ass with the PGP, I can deal with a pgp-type gun with less delay.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 03:42:30 AM »
I'd like to delay carpal tunnel as long as possible.  :-*
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 03:43:02 AM by Blitz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2003, 07:31:49 AM »
lol, blitz.

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2003, 10:13:19 PM »
it could be worth a try but im hoping that it wont turn out like HLDP did.  I wasn't a big fan of that, cause it was just a click contest.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 11:09:16 AM »
And I'm the one who won the click contest, ask DAVEW.

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2003, 10:35:42 AM »
I dont think it would work well enough.  Me and a few others were talking in the channel last week about this (yes we were talking about paintball in #paintball!) and kinda settled on a middle ground of having a spray meter.  I dunno what to call it.  But basically for every gun, there is a unique rate of spraying, where as you are spraying, your meter goes down.  The lower you rmeter is the "less" you are allowed to spray.  This can either be by increasing the delay time, or slowly making the gun more "semi-automatic" or i dunno how.  If you completely run out of meter, your gun jams for a few seconds.  Then of course as your not shooting, your meter gradulaly goes back up.  Each gun needs to be different however, cuz you cant really spray with a PGP or Stingray for instance, so their meters should go down a lot more slowly and not have as much impact when the meter is low.  This would hopefully balance the game a bit more and reduce the cheap (and admit it.. VERY NOT FUN) tactics where someone just stands there and shoots at the base entrance for 5 minutes in a row.

As an aside, I was playing Stale2 (i think it was called) last night.  And first off, its a TERRIBLE map.  But anyway, the game was reduced to pretty much all spraying.  Which ever team got control of the middle section first, then would just simply spray the insantely small base entrance, while the remaining opponents did the same.  So the game slowed to a crawl and everyone just stood there spraying endlessly.  This is PERFECT example of why something needs to be done about it.  Its not broke, but it needs tweaking.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 10:45:59 AM by RoyalBlood »

Snipen

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2003, 07:52:21 AM »
How about a 3 round burst  instead of full auto... or even an option for full or burst .....the 3 rounds burst would work where instead of a steady strem of paint there would be a burst and then a pause and then a burst again..... the pause should be short not long at all.... this would also help conserve on paint

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2003, 10:57:47 AM »
3 round burst sucks.  The old TCA server did it because of bad server code or something, and it's absolutely awful.

I'm going to start calling Royalblood Jerry Fawlwell.

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2003, 03:12:09 PM »
Then offer a suggestion instead of just shooting down everyone elses ideas as if they are all worthless and then insulting them.

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2003, 03:30:50 PM »
Okay.

I suggest you stop asking for things to be changed.  They are fine the way they are.  

Thanks chief,
mizike

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 10:51:00 PM »
Yeah Mike.. I had forgotten about those TCA servers and I remeber the 3 round burst.. they did suck and no one ever played on them because of it (and they were decent servers to!)

The problem was.. it becomes luck when you hit someone at a 3 round burst... Unless your so anal you time your shots properly.. but this is a game and we want to have fun =]

Anyways my first reply still stands.. I think people wouldent want to click thier mouse all the darn time.. so this would get rid of pray and spray , and people would eventualy learn to only fire when you need to.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2003, 10:52:38 PM »
I would like to add I never have or never will use the word 'diddly' - thats jit.. not letting me say D*A-M/N

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2003, 11:12:46 AM »
Here's the solution to all of RoyalBlood's problems:

Just take out the hoppers, stick with the 40 round, and give each player a belt with 5 40round pods.  Then just make a 6-8second reload time.
-OR-
Remove all the co2 canisters and only use 2oz and 12g canisters instead.  That way you either have 4s or 10s of constant spray.

As for the jumping problem, have it so the paint in your pods start to break after you jump so much.  Each jump takes out ~10 balls.  Then even if you do run past everyone, you have no paint to kill them.

OH!!  You need a command to try to steal pods from your teammates, and you can make it cprint to whoever it was stolen from "SOMEONE JUST SWAPPED ONE OF YOUR PODS!!"

oddjob

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2003, 12:07:35 PM »
Thats pretty funny xbain. I think its a good idea.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2003, 12:35:16 PM »
I would like to add I never have or never will use the word 'diddly' - thats jit.. not letting me say D*A-M/N

but... you just used it there...

Ok, I think I'll keep the guns the same.  People would probably make scripts for constant fire or something anyway, putting newbies at even more of a disadvantage.

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2003, 02:56:10 PM »
Those are some intersting ideas Xbain.