Author Topic: Ouch :(  (Read 2890 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Ouch :(
« on: January 10, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »
Ouch, I was talking to some kids standing on my street corner (truants from the local middle school) and after I called their principal and had them picked up, I turned around and fell in a darn 4 foot hole where a storm drain was broken during a string of tornadoes we had, should I sue? Haha.  I not only racked my self and probably bruised my hip bone, but my knees got twisted and I landed on my left hand (bad news for a lefty)... I'm just curious now why this wasn't fixed within 72 hours of when I first reported it.   Nice job, city manitenence.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Ouch :(
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:40:30 AM »
You want a serious answer?

First you should contact your shift supervisor whoever that might be and report the incident, then see a doctor and get the injuries, no matter how small, documented.

I say this just in case something did happen that is not noticable at this time.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:44:02 AM »
Talk about karma.  Next time let the middle school kids smoke in peace.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:22:10 AM »
Took photos, have a doctor appointment, and got three witnesses to write up the fall.  The trench is hidden, surrounded by leaves and part of the drain before it got destroyed.  The crew fixed it, told me there was NOT a work order in,  and the supervisor said by the looks of the weld marks, it had happened twice before.   Only thing I'm concerned with is my wrist... the hip sure it hurts but I can walk... I need my wrist for work (don't even bother with the wrist jokes... I've got a girl). 

Xbain, when these kids were doing stuff last week, I let it slide, but today when they broke a bottle behind the tire of my Rubicon... hell no.

After reading about the ludicrous Katrina suits, I'd be a hypocrite to do anything... "Waaa we sue the government for billions quadrillions, then cry about wars that cost a fraction of that, and wonder why we have to raise taxes to have a third-rate school" </y00tz'sQuasiModerateThinking>

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:00:43 AM »
Mike,

THe only thing you need to worry about is making sure that you are taken care of.  A lawsuite would only come in to paly if your insurance didn't feel it needed to cover an injury or if you actually had to take time off of work and didn't have any short or long termi disability insurance.

The next thing to worry about is to make sure that the issue is corrected the correct way and doesn't happen again.  There are people out there looking for just such an opportunity to take advantage of this situation and try to sue the pants off of a government entity.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:16:44 AM »
Well I don't technically have health insurance *gasp* that's all I'm concerned about :P

But darn my wrist hurts

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »
If you do sue...   sue for the right compensation. Sue to cover any time off from work, hospital bills and for them to have the drain fixed and marked for safety. Doing this will guarantee a win in the law suit.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:31:19 AM »
If you do sue...   sue for the right compensation. Sue to cover any time off from work, hospital bills and for them to have the drain fixed and marked for safety. Doing this will guarantee a win in the law suit.

Exactly,
Thanks Jay

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:39:41 AM »
I think you could get by with just 1 quadrillion.  No need to go overboard.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:49:57 AM »
I think you should have avoided the hole, being you already knew it was there when you reported it.
Really? If you called and reported it, would you not give the matter further inspection to check if your call was attended to?
Or are you one of those people that call the police and city about so many things you can't keep track?

Suck it up...your fault.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 10:53:12 AM »
I think you could get by with just 1 quadrillion.  No need to go overboard.

With my luck, I'd win a settlement for the sore wrist, sign the check with my left hand, then immediately be prosecuted for fraud.

I think you should have avoided the hole

No argument here :P

Or are you one of those people that call the police and city about so many things you can't keep track?

lol, you really have me figured out?  Aside from a Yiddish accent so thick the police would think it a prank, I've never had a reason to call authorities on any matter, with one exception.   Are you saying I shouldn't call and report a four foot deep hole, about 18 inches around, covered in crud? Ahh, the poor pishers.

Really? If you called and reported it, would you not give the matter further inspection to check if your call was attended to?

Who has the tiiiiiiiiiime

Suck it up...your fault.

So do what I'm doing?

Oy, I'm just looking to get advice.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
here's advice for ya..... start playing dp more. :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 11:23:22 AM »
here's advice for ya..... start playing dp more. :P
12-16 hour work days recently, today is slow.  Although, I get internet hooked up today after 7 days delaying, but darn my wrist hurts.

Magical-Tree

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »
Thats Karma man.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »
That does seem kinda screwy.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 03:19:22 PM »
Talk about karma.  Next time let the middle school kids smoke in peace.

+1

Only thing I'm concerned with is my wrist... the hip sure it hurts but I can walk... I need my wrist for work (don't even bother with the wrist jokes... I've got a girl). 

girl or not, you need to rub one out from time to time.

I think you should have avoided the hole, being you already knew it was there when you reported it.

Suck it up...your fault.

+5

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 01:07:02 AM »
Fractured wrist, bruised hip bone.  And apparently I had a concussion when my head hit the ground.  Neck and back  which still hurt the worse, had good x-rays.  My knees stopped hurting, and I'm actually feeling pretty good right now, albeit I'm on tramadol.

The city attorney called today (When I reported the hole, I mentioned I fell in it, and she told me she had to notify the attorney regardless of what I  say I'll do), but this is interesting, apparently the city doesn't have insurance but is self-insured through an account (ironically at my family's bank) that is set aside for injuries and vehicle damage caused by public property.  Anyway, at his advice I settled for 1 day of missed work so I could go to the doctor and get an x-ray, and my medical bills to be covered, all I really needed. 

I simply can't afford the x-rays and painkillers AND time off from work at the moment, with college, the Jeep and house payments, and the trying to save for that little marriage thing...

On the plus side, most of the swelling has gone down :)

Funny thing is my neighbor, whom rounded up witness and took pictures, is a lawyer who kept telling me I had a case, heh, guess she didn't realize I don't care too much for ripping off the city.

I did go back to work today and mostly jotted notes in a meeting, I guess I'm semi-ambidextrous.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 02:56:36 AM »
You've got no backbone y00tz.  Any decent man would have gone to court.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 03:35:44 AM »
i would have sued the excrement out of them. you could have gotten the money for your wedding and probably had enough money left over to get rid of a couple monthly bills.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 04:00:57 AM »
You've got no backbone y00tz.

The x-ray proved otherwise, and it's fine :P

What would going to court prove?  That I can sue a city?