Author Topic: (Optional?) In-Game Ads to Support Development Costs  (Read 43965 times)

UDead

• Autococker
Re: (Optional?) In-Game Ads to Support Development Costs
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2009, 10:47:49 AM »
I would rather have any type of ad part of the game like we have been saying, have it at the end of the map. -1 for ads in the map, +1 for ads on the score board during and or after the map is over.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
This has already been said. Lets think of new constructive ideas.

And, so what you're saying is that the Paintball2 community mappers won't want to have advertisements in their map, so they don't want to help fund better stuff? And you can't say that mappers won't want ads on their maps, when you haven't either
- tried it
- thought it through.

If you'd be happy to go through every map on the OTB servers and make a custom .ent with some ads for every single one, be our guest.

Also, here's a picture I keep forgetting to post.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2009, 03:53:07 PM »
What's more important:

1. Ingame ads
2. catching cheaters
3. increasing the player population.

In game ads deserve ZERO development time.  Too many other items that need to be implemented or fixed.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2009, 04:48:16 PM »
Increasing player population deserves all the development time. The cheat detection seems good, most people are getting caught and demo's are getting reported on suspision so that's not as important.

In game ads would just be annoying.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2009, 05:11:37 PM »
What's more important:

1. Ingame ads
2. catching cheaters
3. increasing the player population.

In game ads deserve ZERO development time.  Too many other items that need to be implemented or fixed.

You forgot this: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10076

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »
Increasing player population deserves all the development time.
what about retaining the players we already have, and increasing their loyalty? that oughta deserve some dev time too. cuz there's always the possibility of word-of-mouth advertising to bring new players in, IF the current players deem the game worthy of telling friends about.

not saying that ads would do that necessarily, but rather i was just disputing your point.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2009, 05:54:48 PM »
This has already been said. Lets think of new constructive ideas.

And, so what you're saying is that the Paintball2 community mappers won't want to have advertisements in their map, so they don't want to help fund better stuff? And you can't say that mappers won't want ads on their maps, when you haven't either
- tried it
- thought it through.

I did say a lot of mappers won't want ads on their maps, but have I said they don't want to help? Don't put words into my mouth.
From a mapper's point of view, you spend a lot of time working on these maps, and sometimes you don't want anything else in it.
If we were sure these ads would help Jits, then I would gladly put them into my maps. But you see, this is still an IDEA, so telling me I haven't tried putting ads in my maps doesn't make any sense.

And I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this, but meh, I'll say it again just in case.
You could do what I said earlier with the ads around the scoreboard, but let only registered users to disable the ads.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2009, 02:36:36 AM »
I don't think that it would really be a problem with the mappers themselves. The problem I see is that there is only a select few maps that are actually 'finished' in the sense of being great gameplay wise, great looking and no 'bugs'. What sort of sponsor would want their name on an 'unfinished' map that never gets played and looks like crap?

Some of you won't agree with me, but meh.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2009, 05:08:21 AM »
I don't think that it would really be a problem with the mappers themselves. The problem I see is that there is only a select few maps that are actually 'finished' in the sense of being great gameplay wise, great looking and no 'bugs'. What sort of sponsor would want their name on an 'unfinished' map that never gets played and looks like crap?

Some of you won't agree with me, but meh.

Great point.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2009, 07:51:34 AM »
Udead, music, Kyuuchi and other marketing mags - this game can't have any marketing stuff implemented because of 2 main things:

1. Population - You can put any number you want to say you have 100k + players playing the game, company who would be interested would wanna like to know how many of them are active, at which time etc. Since we don't use GLS in that way this cannot be backed up with actual data. So fail you go.

2. Population age - every company has it own population target group. Since noone can provide them with actual data, fail is here once again. + children aren't their target in most cases. And yes, most of the players active here are still children. Because you cannot state that people on forums are majority of active scene players. Active scene happens in pubs. Go there only once and you'll see average age of players.

Just drop this, this is unfortunatelly useless. Tell me, if you were a company owner, would you like to invest your precious marketing budget into a little know, obsolete game engine game with questionable audience? Or you would go for a free PR where you can reach far more crowd (FB, Twitter & similar) and invest your money elswhere on traditional marketing methods?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »
Udead, music, Kyuuchi and other marketing mags - this game can't have any marketing stuff implemented because of 2 main things:

1. Population - You can put any number you want to say you have 100k + players playing the game, company who would be interested would wanna like to know how many of them are active, at which time etc. Since we don't use GLS in that way this cannot be backed up with actual data. So fail you go.

2. Population age - every company has it own population target group. Since noone can provide them with actual data, fail is here once again. + children aren't their target in most cases. And yes, most of the players active here are still children. Because you cannot state that people on forums are majority of active scene players. Active scene happens in pubs. Go there only once and you'll see average age of players.

Just drop this, this is unfortunatelly useless. Tell me, if you were a company owner, would you like to invest your precious marketing budget into a little know, obsolete game engine game with questionable audience? Or you would go for a free PR where you can reach far more crowd (FB, Twitter & similar) and invest your money elswhere on traditional marketing methods?

perfect!

+1

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »
I agree with you 100% Edgecrusher and Knack, I think the reason why this was wanted was the fact that we have nothing else to do and trying to come up with things that we think are good ideas at the moment and the fact the not that many ideas have been implied lately and that’s not no ones fault.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:01:52 AM by UDead »

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »
not that many ideas have been implied lately and that’s not no ones fault.

Agreed!

LOL AT GRAMMAR!

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2009, 03:54:59 PM »

wow, very well thought out, edge.

I agree with you 100% Knack

it was Edgecrusher that made the thoughtful post, not Knack. That's not to say Knack isn't thoughtful or whatever, tho.. :)

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »
I think the reason why this was wanted was the fact that we have nothing else to do

Hardly so. Indeed, on the usability front alone there are quite a few necessary improvements

I was for ads, but then I read Edgecrusher's post. And then my enthusiasm for those ads plummeted. Quake live does pay itself from ads, but again, compare sheer size of an audience and it gets more clear. And even there it's a major issue.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »
Just drop this, this is unfortunatelly useless.

No problem. Only replied in the first place because I wanted to help.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2009, 09:10:34 PM »
Rafalluz if you read my whole post instead of taking that part out of context and turning it around you will understand what I was saying.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2009, 07:18:26 AM »
No. I see enough of ideas (including recent ones) on forums and a good bit in feature vote standing there for a long time (hell, even like this one), some get turned down, some get more enthusiastic reception, still it's topic for another discussion - and on top of it - beaten to death one.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2011, 03:37:55 AM »
please if your going to do this..make it a menu only....adding advertisement to the actual map would take away from mappers made.  i honestly wouldn't wanna see a picture of smilin' bob on pbcup.bsp......but...a picture on the score tab....would be just fine.

They can turn ads on and off like on Youtube.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2011, 03:39:52 AM »
I think there should be liscensed merchendise for DPB 2 also. That would help. Escpecially if someone could find it at a normal retailer.