Author Topic: (Optional?) In-Game Ads to Support Development Costs  (Read 43972 times)

UDead

• Autococker
Re: (Optional?) In-Game Ads to Support Development Costs
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2009, 05:05:16 AM »
Wouldn’t the people who run the server have to have the ads and for people who have barley enough memory to even run the server that it would slow it done even more?

MissingNo.

• VM-68
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2009, 09:10:47 PM »
I'd hate to open up the scoreboard and see an AD for a different game other than the one im playing.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »
I'd hate to open up the scoreboard and see an AD for a different game other than the one im playing.
Wouldn't you mind seeing the Ads if it meant quicker and larger updates to get this game moving forward?...

MissingNo.

• VM-68
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2009, 12:34:31 PM »
Wouldn't you mind seeing the Ads if it meant quicker and larger updates to get this game moving forward?...

Guess not.

chris123

• VM-68
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
i want to see them in HD

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »
Wtf, HD would kill a slow server in seconds.

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2009, 10:20:37 PM »
i want to see them in HD

That really is a silly idea... why should the ads be in HD? who's going to go up to them and have a really close look at it?

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2009, 07:07:33 AM »
Most people wont really look at the ads unless they make the pop out at you when you look at your scoreboard, because most people when they go to look at there score or other they are there to look at just that, no some ad so really it would just get over looked.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
Most people wont really look at the ads unless they make the pop out at you when you look at your scoreboard, because most people when they go to look at there score or other they are there to look at just that, no some ad so really it would just get over looked.

Yep, Thats same as watching tv do you sit and watch the commercials? NO but the tv program still gets paid for it, and if we do it and totally block it out jitspoe gets paid, and he needs something in return for keeping this game alive and updates for over all these years,

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
well the way things are going here i dont think it is going to have any effect anytime soon so i guess im done here.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2009, 01:16:38 AM »
Not starting a new topic, but here's a little branch coming from this idea. Instead of having advertisements for everyone, only have ads for non-registered users. For example, all the people with "newbie" as their names, or the ones with those faces. Then, as soon as they login under the GLS on Paintball, the ads go away.

Another idea - someone already said, i think, is too actually have the Advertisement Logo's fixed into maps, although, this would probably mean rebuilding total maps. Which could be a big problem.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2009, 01:50:43 AM »
do you think that showing ads only to non-registered users would be enough to warrant having the ads at all?
because our ~120,000 registered users wouldn't be monetized in that situation.
seems kinda backward from normal ... usually the registered users are the ones that make a financial difference to the developer.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2009, 06:17:58 PM »
Another thing is how much he gains from this.Time vs. money, and the fact that if he gains just enough, he'd have to deal with taxes and the added time figuring all that extra junk out, which wouldn't be worth the 'just enough' amount he would earn.

MissingNo.

• VM-68
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2009, 06:55:44 PM »
Not starting a new topic, but here's a little branch coming from this idea. Instead of having advertisements for everyone, only have ads for non-registered users. For example, all the people with "newbie" as their names, or the ones with those faces. Then, as soon as they login under the GLS on Paintball, the ads go away.

Another idea - someone already said, i think, is too actually have the Advertisement Logo's fixed into maps, although, this would probably mean rebuilding total maps. Which could be a big problem.

1st idea = THUMBS UP
2nd idea = THUMBS DOWN

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »
I don't know if this fits along the same lines for this thread, but would there be any way to get any sponsors for this game perhaps?

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2009, 11:42:56 AM »
2nd idea = THUMBS DOWN

Care to elaborate? It could be done with .ent files i think (func_wall?). So it wouldn't require whole rebuilds of maps.

MissingNo.

• VM-68
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2009, 02:28:58 PM »
Care to elaborate? It could be done with .ent files i think (func_wall?). So it wouldn't require whole rebuilds of maps.

I don't think map developers would want ads on their maps.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2009, 03:05:39 PM »
And why wouldn't they? If I was a mapper, I wouldn't mind at all...

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
And why wouldn't they? If I was a mapper, I wouldn't mind at all...

IF. You're not. And everyone's different.
Sure, you'd get a few mappers willing to allow the ads into their maps, but really, most wouldn't.
The best time to be able to see the ads would be during round/game resets. The best place to put them would be around the scoreboard. A lot of people check on the score as they're playing, I'm sure they will be seen.
You could have the ads around the scoreboard as the server is switching and loading maps, during that brief moment when everyone is staring at the scoreboard. We just end up spamming "GG!" anyway, might as well make use out of it.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2009, 07:05:57 AM »
IF. You're not. And everyone's different.
Sure, you'd get a few mappers willing to allow the ads into their maps, but really, most wouldn't.
The best time to be able to see the ads would be during round/game resets. The best place to put them would be around the scoreboard. A lot of people check on the score as they're playing, I'm sure they will be seen.
You could have the ads around the scoreboard as the server is switching and loading maps, during that brief moment when everyone is staring at the scoreboard. We just end up spamming "GG!" anyway, might as well make use out of it.

This has already been said. Lets think of new constructive ideas.

And, so what you're saying is that the Paintball2 community mappers won't want to have advertisements in their map, so they don't want to help fund better stuff? And you can't say that mappers won't want ads on their maps, when you haven't either
- tried it
- thought it through.