Author Topic: How much work would be involved to...  (Read 2671 times)

Garrett

• Autococker
How much work would be involved to...
« on: January 13, 2008, 02:10:28 PM »
Add model collision detection and to tweak the game engine so that DP will be able to have tree models added in to a map with out the game crashing?

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: How much work would be involved to...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 02:12:12 PM »
Vote for a new map format, and solid models will surely be implemented/feasible.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 02:14:36 PM »
Vote for a new map format, and solid models will surely be implemented/feasible.
Ook this is why I asked.  I wanted to make sure I would request something that would be a lot of work or somethng that has all ready been requested.  Are both things I asked about included in the New Map Format feature vote?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 02:17:49 PM »
I suppose, why (did) the crash (happen) when you had a tree? I've made several tree models (work in-game) with no problem... I'm guessing your adding a tree with too many polygons, and the engine hates that.  If you're using MD2, try using SKM, otherwise make your trees more efficient.

*edited for grammar, content, and y00tzisms.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:13:09 PM by y00tz »

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 02:20:35 PM »
I suppose, why does the crash when you had a tree? I've made several tree models with no problem... I'm guessing your adding a tree with too many polygons, and the engine hates that.  If you're using MD2, try using SKM, otherwise make your trees more effecient.
I'll try that.  Will the new map format be able to support more complex (more polygons) models?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 08:11:27 PM »
Possibly, it'll all be up to discussion if/when it gets enough votes, so I'm sure others as well as ourselves will picket for better foliage support, as well as levels of detail, or LOD as it is better known.  LOD will require we make (I assume we make them at least..) varying degrees of models that will be rendered when the user is farther away.  A "billboard" (think like just a jpeg) from far away is believable, where as up close you'd need a detailed model.  Also, I edited my previous post because it read terribly. 

-y0011010tz

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »
I understood what you meant.  For right now, lets get this new map format implemented and see what it brings us and I will work on my tree models.  Thanks for the help and advice.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »
didnt i read that with a new map format, that we would lose all current maps we have. and that they would have to all be remade in the new format

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 12:03:19 AM »
didnt i read that with a new map format, that we would lose all current maps we have. and that they would have to all be remade in the new format

That's the conundrum we're in.  I doubt we'd be able to port the old maps, yet at the same time, surely the new maps would be great (at least in potential).  Look at what is played in pub nowadays.. Blitz, Shazam, Propaint 1... these wouldn't be hard to re-map.  Whatever the decision is on a new map format a compromise would surely be the only way to lessen the potential schism.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 12:11:55 AM »
Would it be possible to have the old maps stay in the same format and then the new maps in a new format. So I guess it would be like dual map formats.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 12:14:35 AM »
Well anything is possible, feasible, hmm... I never considered that.  So .bsp would have different loading instructions than say, .bspx or whatever.  Interesting...

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:19:21 AM »
That was my hope that the maps were backwards compatible.  I guess we will just have to wait and see

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »
thats why i voted against it because some people (DT) have spent countless hours on there maps and to make them, or somebody else have to remake them or have some one try to remake them, it wouldnt be right. i think one of the main pluses to DP is that there is so many maps that you can choose from, good or bad, you got choice.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 07:54:07 PM »
I believe that Jitspoe is going to make the game engine be able to support both the old maps and the new maps

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 11:38:52 PM »
I believe that Jitspoe is going to make the game engine be able to support both the old maps and the new maps

Jitspoe is pro-backward compatibility, he'd definitely keep support for q2 maps, what I meant above was I never imagined including support for two different maps, but rather like a bsp plus or "deluxe" version as he  recently put it.