Author Topic: NEW MAP: TLC2  (Read 5251 times)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
NEW MAP: TLC2
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:56:41 PM »
TLC 2 is nothing like TLC. Its a DM map based on a empty city.

I will also be making this into a Siege.

http://zilla-clan.net/upload/181775
(Newest version 12:54 am EST) With lighting fixed and no mcdonalds

Put the textures in your C:\Paintball2\pball\textures folder

DO NOT PUT THEM IN C:\Paintball2\pball\textures\pball (which i bet a lot of people will do)

SS's

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:56:56 AM by Clipz »

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: NEW MAP: TLC2
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 11:22:06 PM »
I like the concept (and I love city maps), but some of the textures get really repetitive (or maybe it is the lighting, because some the screenshots make the map look like it is unlit). The map could also use some clutter, some texture alignment, and thinner objects (the doors are really thick).

Upload the map to http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/ !

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:22:49 PM »
Very nice, the textures look good and I can't wait to test the larger amounts of players on it for game play.

I give 9.5 Starz out of 10 Starz.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »
- flickering light is neat
- really like the broken chairs
- doors feel too tall
- all rungs need rotating
- textures need to be in a folder putting them in "/textures/" adds to clutter
- custom textures are very low res, especially water, which also tiles badly.
- everything feels bulky
- you use the same brick in most of the outdoor area,
- the subway (?) has a ceiling the same material as the walls
- stairs are the same texture as the floor, even facing the same way

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:38:43 PM »
I put this map  on the leezerz.com dm server. But I think you will fix at first some thinks in this map. I will rename it to tlc2dm_b1.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:44:32 PM »
No this is final. I dont see any problems with it sorry.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 11:47:16 PM »

You tell 'em

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »

I don't think so.  I'll have some screenies up in ~20 minutes.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 12:43:35 AM »
Ok, I have allot for you.  First, the lighting needs work.  Looks like your ambient light is too high.  This makes the unlit areas (outdoors) look horrible.

This roof needs a texture other than solid black.  And you might want to have a different texture for that smoke pipe, but that's not too important.

I like this idea, but your floor is way too thick.  You also might want to use a different texture (maybe planks?) and have the hole in the floor line up with the planks (so it doesn't look like a cleanly cut hole).

This door is a bit too big, both horizontally and vertically.  You should make it so the player can just make it under the top of the door at the peak of a jump.

I really like the broken chairs in this room, but you need to watch your texture alignment.

Here is that solid black texture again.  I would avoid using it.  It looks like there is no roof.

The textures need to be rotated.

Here is a perfect example of the lighting issue.  It looks unlit, and the texture doesn't look good on those stairs.  Change the lighting, and chances are, the stairs will look better.

The shadow is off by a little bit.  You need to move the light entity to the center of the light brush (not vertically though).

This looks like you just slapped that together in 5 minutes.  Get fancy with it.  Make it look really nice.

Make this hole line up with the bricks.  Just like the floor above, only on a wall.  This looks too clean cut.

A bunch on this one.  Are these supposed to be train tracks?  If so, why do they end at ladders at both ends?  These are also really thick tracks.  They need to be maybe an quarter the thickness.  The ladders need to be narrower and need the textures rotated (this applies to all of you ladders).  Also, that wall texture does not look really good tiled.  Different lighting will help, but I'm not sure if that would be enough.

Again with the black texture.

This just looks a little odd.  Especially the one support.  You need more of a variety of bricks/concrete in the out door areas.

This is some really thick glass.  Looks like at least 2x the thickness of bullet proof glass.

Lastly, the horrific black texture yet again.  This one looks like the lights are floating and there is no roof.  Blends in almost perfectly with the sky.

Over all, I like the general design and creativity of the map.  However, the out door area is very empty so you need to clutter that up a bit.  That along with a few small tweaks, and this map could look and play really good.

Oh, and don't put the textures in "pball\textures" put them in a folder called "pball\textures\tlc2dm" or something similar.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 12:55:59 AM »
Zorch hath spoken.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 01:06:51 AM »
I don't think Clipz cares, as noted by the lack of _b1.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 01:25:29 AM »
I don't think Clipz cares, as noted by the lack of _b1.

Eh, figured I'd put that out there anyway.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 08:00:27 AM »
Yeah I've had so many problems with this map I'm sick of it. If you would like to finish it go ahead.

Eh.. alright ill at least change the black and the lighting.

Edit: The lighting problem is not to much i just forgot to use the BSP to final compile

Also in your 6th SS i was having problems no matter what i did the wood up top would not change. I even changed the texture so i can't change it.

Here we go: http://zilla-clan.net/upload/181775

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:57:18 AM by Clipz »

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 11:23:08 AM »

lol, its like a cz-mapper :P

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 11:35:01 AM »
nice attempt, I don't think its really that playable or polished but it's got some nice ideas.

I think the lighting is screwed up on your latest download, because it was pretty godawful for me. Also, don't put your textures in the root texture folder, put them in a custom one so to keep it tidy.

- texture-wise, its very repetitive and boring.
- practically all of your custom textures are very low resolution and suffer from loads of jpeg artifacts.
- Im not sure of the legality of using the mcdonalds logo in your map, I think it's probably illegal.
- the tunnels that make up a lot of the map are extremely boring and unimaginitive.
- the scale is well off.
- the broken chairs room is cool, but all the fragments and junk make it hard to move.
- there are a lot of dead ends and pointless corridors, even for DM.
- the 'broken' floor and window effects are nice ideas, but they don't look very convincing or attractive in this map.

also, i agree with everything Zorch and y00tz said. Sorry to be quite down on the map, you've obviously spent a lot of time on it and put some good ideas in, but next time try and bring your ideas together much tighter and polish them so they really look and play great.

On another note, I really like the idea of a subway/train station map. Almost reminds me of the classic Blood.

- Dagless

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »
ok ill delete the sign i didnt know it wasnt legal

*DELETED

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »
Just make a new sign "McDagless" or whatever...

*edited for y00tzisms
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:49:55 PM by y00tz »

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 12:34:21 PM »
hahaha that idea is so stolen for my next map.

- Dagless

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 12:54:35 PM »
k then i wont use it... haha think of a good name for me

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 12:57:08 PM »
Fish 'N Clipz?