Author Topic: Feature Request: Get rid of viewgib  (Read 12115 times)

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: Feature Request: Get rid of viewgib
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 04:04:01 AM »
ball_life 0

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 03:54:57 PM »
how about we get rid of this command and enable voting to remove people from teams for idling, blocking paths, or just plain being noobs.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 03:59:28 PM »
I agree with cola on everything but the n00bs, n00bs are our future you know. ;)  But seriously, new players shouldn't get voted off, they should just be told basic things like"t" is talk, forward is "w", and whatnot.
-Cusoman

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
The problem with this is that it can't really be moderated. For killing noobs it really is not a good idea put it is necessary for things such as idlers. Now the reason it needs to be moderated is as follows. Today I was playing a server (left unnamed although we know what it is) I killed the admin. Needless to say I got viewgibbed. So I say wtf and he goes "If I killed ya or think I killed ya, I'll gib ya" now if there was some way to moderate it we would not have that problem.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »
So I say wtf and he goes "If I killed ya or think I killed ya, I'll gib ya"
bahaha are you serious? wow thats intercoursed up!
seriously though that someone must have some sort of mental disease idk

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 06:20:07 PM »
it's easy to moderate this command... have the server admin change the op value required for viewgib in commands.txt

other than that, quit playing on servers where the admins are abusive... it's really very simple.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »
then GT servers would be pretty much nonexistent. we all know who kilo was talking about. the moderation is just a waste of time because it's usually the server owners and/or highest admins that abuse this command. just remove it and enable voting.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 03:20:23 PM »
Best command ever :D

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 03:21:09 PM »
Can someone please tell me the pros of viewgib other than make fun of hackers?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 03:41:30 PM »
Can someone please tell me the cons of viewgib other than admin abuse?

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 04:00:44 PM »
In order for a command to be implemented it has to be usefull...
So in order for it not to be 'unimplemented' it has to be usefull...Not the other way around.
Either way, the admin abuse of that command is worst for the game then the 'make fun of hackers' is good.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »
No, everything takes time. Something needs a reason for it to be implemented, but it also needs a reason for it to be unimplemented. Since it already is implemented, now you need a sufficient reason to make jitspoe have to remove it, not the other way around.

Regardless, an abusive administrator can just viewkick you, so removing viewgib would not stop administrator abuse. In addition, besides that, if an administrator really wants to anger you, s/he can just cvar_set debug3 1; forceteam <your ID/name> observer; cvar_set debug3 0; forceteam <your ID/name> auto; you, which just eliminates you too.

Have we all forgotten about the concept boycott perchance?

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 04:35:50 PM »
Kind of hard to boycott a server that always has people on it (the people who just download this game and join a server with people on it and are attached to terrible maps). Join a GT server at any given time I'll guarntee the population is 3/4 full of people who downloaded the game within the last month. The others are GT players.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 04:49:12 PM »
I was thinking someone would bring that up. Regardless, it's either you boycott (and band together to play on a different server) or give up. A server administrator has complete control with the connection between his/her server and your computer. Also, being the server administrator means that you are usually in control of the resources that the server runs on. If someone really wants to screw with you, you are powerless. And like I already brought up, Paintball already has other mechanisms that server admins can abuse.

Although there is one alternative. Filtering the server list is within jitspoe's power.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 05:10:53 PM »
It's not only GT servers actually. The only time Ive been viewgibbed so far was on an OTB server when King-kong or something (cant really remember his name) was having fun doing it to people.

I've given up on this. Now all I wanna know is why is there such command...All the other commands you named are usefull for other than making fun of people....

Re

• VM-68
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 05:15:42 PM »
The command was inherited from the game being based on the Quake 2 engine, I think. I remember the command existed in Quake 2, also.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 06:37:40 PM »
The command was inherited from the game being based on the Quake 2 engine, I think. I remember the command existed in Quake 2, also.
Yes you are correct.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 06:38:35 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:01:07 AM by P!nk »

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »
But when you have hundreds of newbs who know nothing rating the GT servers, the vote of those who do actually get abused does nothing.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 08:24:47 PM »
It's not only GT servers actually. The only time Ive been viewgibbed so far was on an OTB server when King-kong or something (cant really remember his name) was having fun doing it to people.

Once is really nothing. Now if this happens often, then there's a problem.