Author Topic: Thoughts on Cloverfield/Possible SPOILERS/WARNING  (Read 3722 times)

eradicator

• Autococker
Thoughts on Cloverfield/Possible SPOILERS/WARNING
« on: January 20, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »
I saw Cloverfield today and I loved it. I thought the movie was great and the camera wasn't as bad as people are saying it is when it comes to shakyness. It was pretty shaky but it still showed me everything I wanted to see. On yahoo I gave it an A. What are your guys thought on it, if you saw it. I know there is a 95% chance there will be a sequel which should make the first one better and not so boring at the end. WARNING READ AT OWN RISK:

If you read up on it, in the credits at the end the is a noise and when played backwards it is the main guy saying "it's still alive......." Also I think the sequel will be from someone Else's camera or it will have the brother who supposedly "died" and then the Indian girl who gets on the other chopper. And maybe the main guy since he says its still alive at the end.
If you want to know a little more about a possible sequel read this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080119220338AAx6imW

Watching this movie made me think that there might really be something out there. Wether it be from under the sea, or outerspace. This might sound messed up but I think it would be amazing if something like this happened. just to be able to say you saw something. Anyways post your thoughts/commets here.

FlaMe

• Autococker
Re: Thoughts on Cloverfield/Possible SPOILERS/WARNING
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »
nah it was a good movie. just needs a backstory or an explanation... more of a love story than a monster movie at times.

my friend threw up from the camera at the end though. not for the ppl who get motion sickness

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:29:02 PM »
I think my girlfriend said we were going to watch that last night, but as I bought tickets she screwed me in to seeing... Atonement :(

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »
I ... girlfriend ... she screwed me ... :(

Doesn't sound too bad.

*Mature--

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »
I loved it. The ending was a little lacking, but there will definitely be a sequel. Its one of those movies that they'll try  to put out like 10 sequels for, but only 1-2 will be good.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 04:12:08 PM »
I remember last summer, I was watching a movie with my friends.  We saw a trailer for a movie from bad Robot.  It didn't even have a name at that point. It was just 01/18/08.  As soon as we saw the trailer, we knew we had to see the movie.  We saw it the day it came out. 

It was awesome.

Also, the monster came from outer space.  At the VERY end of the movie, when the tape goes back to the small fair and theme park, there is an orb in the top corner that drops into the sea 'unnoticed'.  And one more thing we noticed:  The movie starts at 6:42 and ends at 6:42.  Creepy.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 12:02:01 AM »
I dont understand the 6:42 thing. is that the time it started filming then ended the next day?

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »
It's the time at the VERY start of the film that it started, and also the time that it ended at.  Just the time that was on the camcorder.

sudo

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 04:35:51 PM »
I loved it, it was a freaky movie.  The spider things reminded me of Half-Life at first, but after I got a better look, these things seemed a bit more gruesome.

Speaking of gruesome, I didn't really get sick from the shaky camera, but more from Marlena's death.  Geez.  That bit was scary.  As well as the monster bringing down the helicopter after being bombed by the stealth.

I think that this could make an awesome video game.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 01:00:47 AM »
Just saw the movie, it was pretty intense.  You end up with a lot of questions, and I guess we need to wait for a sequel.  I got motion sick from it pretty bad so if you're like me and don't like shaky cameras then don't see it.

iced

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »
yeah....i felt like i was getting dizzy from the camera shaking

personally i dont like all that movement but the movie was ok i guess

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 07:20:29 AM »
I saw this yesterday and thought it was freaking awesome.  I think it's funny that in general most of the people that play FPS games did not have a major problem with the camera work, but that many other people did.  Guess that goes to show my years of DP playing have not been in vain! :)

When I first saw the preview for this back at Transformers, I thought it was the coolest trailer ever.  I remember getting into the whole viral marketing idea and checking out the sluggo.jp site and other miscellaneous hidden websites all over the web trying to get a glimpse into what the movie was about before everyone else.  When I realized that there weren't any substantial clues about it I got a little disappointed and tried to put the movie out of my mind until it was finally released.  Much to my dismay, when it first came out I always heard that a "friend of a friend" saw it and didn't really like it because the monster was only shown "in very short glimpses" and that there "wasn't much action."  Thus, I was so disappointed at how hyped I had been about this movie that I didn't even see it until a week after it was released.  Boy, were those friends-of-friends wrong... I think I found it to be even better than I had expected back in July because so recently I had my expectations lowered by the nay-saying hypothetical third parties even though so many critics were giving it rave reviews.  Long story short, the movie rocked my socks off and I really hope they make a sequel.

<rant>
For those of you that haven't seen it yet and are reading this post (shame on you, you shouldn't be reading spoilers) or those of you that plan on seeing it again, I _highly_ recommend you see it at a theater that offers DLP (digital light processing -- or maybe it's "projecting" since it's in a theater).  For the last year or so I've been seeing movies almost exclusively in DLP, but when one of my friends organizes the time/theater excurions they don't really pay attention to what format the theater is using and sometimes we end up watching it on regular 'ole projection.  Let me just tell you that the difference is night and day on most movies (e.g., I saw "I Am Legend" once in each format and noticed more of a difference during the trailers than during the movie, so I dunno what was up with that movie).  I equate it with the difference between watching TV and watching HDTV.  It's just that noticable (to me); especially when the movie has extensive action, explosions, and/or CGI.
</rant>

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 11:26:07 AM »
I am Legend is awesome in Imax, btw.  ^_^

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 02:44:30 AM »
I found Cloverfield to be a very disappointing movie for four reasons:

1. Cliche plot.
2. Predictable story.
3. No suspense.
4. Little action. (At least Transformers made up for the plot by having lots of action.)

The only thing I could compliment on is how the movie was done (the two videos being interleaved and the subtle hints [that just lets them make more $$$$ with a sequel]). I suppose the overall story left open questions, but the story of the movie didn't. Regardless, you have to kind of fail to not leave questions when you're using a monster from outer space that you never explain.

Essentially, about anyone could have cooked up that story in an afternoon.

Waggot

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »
Awesome movie. Actually paid another 10 bucks to see it again the next night!! Loved it.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 06:13:31 AM »
The film was very intense at times and that's just the problem, only at times. The beginning let me down, very boring. I liked the love-relationship, was a bit moving. I also liked the atmosphere of the camera view. The film showed pretty well how lost you are in such a situation. Although in the end it was very moving how they died, the film-makers should've shown a short summary how the whole story with the monster ended and not make a sequel to it...

Conclusion: The film was not worth the money for the ticket.