Author Topic: MyLand3  (Read 6064 times)

blaa

• Autococker
MyLand3
« on: January 21, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »
 This map is the smallest Ive made, the filesize atm is ~350kb and its made only of 400 brushes.

The map is pretty fast, I guess. It has 2 ways. The low one is also the main route. The flags are located mid high. The flags are easily grabable from the high route, but the low route has a speed jump, which is pretty easy, and another jump (which actually needs a bit of speed at first aswell), but at this beta1, it is a bit LAME. Ill explain later. After grabbing the flag you have to cap it to ENEMY base.

Both teams are equal, there are 4 spawns, all with spyder, some ammo and chrome barrel. There are 4 cockers in total in this map. I guess I have to change the starting gun to carbine, because the pace of this map MIGHT become pretty high, so spyder would just make everybody mad.

Screenshots:
http://scythe.planet.ee/dp/myland3/sshot014.jpg - There you can see the cap area and on the right the high route. You can also see my tests on "cool" terrain (LOL).

http://scythe.planet.ee/dp/myland3/sshot015.jpg - thats the high route and the almighty autococker!

http://scythe.planet.ee/dp/myland3/sshot016.jpg - thats the sight u might see when u take the low route. On very right you can see the speed jump thingie (cliff or whatever). And on the left theres a little helper to get you on the roof of that cliff building.

http://scythe.planet.ee/dp/myland3/sshot017.jpg - Thats mid high, behind you is the high route, which leads back to base. in front of you are two flags. On the right you can see some "cover" walls.

http://scythe.planet.ee/dp/myland3/sshot018.jpg - Mid low and its river!!!!! Under the high entrance you can see  a model (which isnt textured in my dp[dunno]). You cant go near the model, because the small cap has been clip brushed, omgz!.

And thats about it:
http://scythe.planet.ee/dp/myland3/myland3_b1.bsp

Known errors:
1 brush which isnt suppose to be there!!! (in front of cliff building at 1 side).
Some walls dont line up with the walls next to them.
Some ground triangles dont line up (0.5 units).
The jump from cliff building to mid high is too pointless (I forgot to make enough room for it when I made the cover wall)
No welcome message!

Byz

• 68 Carbine
Re: MyLand3
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »
Another great map by blaa :) I rly like snowy maps :D

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »
Nice 0ne my friend. I will download it later :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 04:47:51 PM »
Recorded a demo of things that could be revised.  You really need to get some lighting in there and fix the water.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:01:42 AM »
MyLand3
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:26:21 PM »

My Bday :D Nice Map

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:23:30 AM »
Recorded a demo of things that could be revised.  You really need to get some lighting in there and fix the water.

Ok, thanks for the demo.

-Fixed the water- the bottom isnt snow anymore, rock texture now. But I cant flat the water, because if I raise 1 side of the water, the other side falls down. Too many faces.
-Rock and sky meeting places - Ill try my best to fix them.
-Ligthing- I wanted the map to have fog. First thing I did was to check for some examples. The map dc2 seemed like a map with fog which could work for me. I used the same settings for the fog like dc2 has. Adding "pbsky1 fogd .5 .5 .6 .0015" to key "sky" made my other sun thingies useless and lost the sun lighting, so i guess i cant add sun lighting. But I see no problem with current way it is.
-The flag cap places- Yeah the brush between rock thingies (which im not gonna change, maybe ill make them smaller) is scaled, is fixed now.
-Floating rock where flag stand- Its only a temporary solution. As I understood Y00tz has already made me a magic turtle which im gonna use as flag stand. It might look unrealistic, but magic turtle wouldnt care, so, I dont either.
-2 normal flags in mid, why not white flag- Because this map is pretty fast (I assume) there might occure situations where 1 team gets a lucky cap and the other team has little or no chances to cap the flag again. But, if there are 2 flags then while 1 team is bringing the flag to enemy base to cap, the other team can grab and cap aswell.

MyLand3
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:26:21 PM »

My Bday :D Nice Map

Lucky you, this map was started in summer, when I tried to make some sort of terrain. Some time early autumn I got an idea to finish my test as a map. A few days ago I started working on this map again (read: made most of it).

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 07:37:31 AM »
In my opinion you should make it CTF mode :)

EDIT: Lol nothing , i feel dumb now.

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 08:38:53 AM »
Another great map by blaa :) I rly like snowy maps :D
No you don't. Looks like a good map.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 06:08:52 PM »
Just make the water flat then adjust the terrain to fit it.  You should always test your map with reflective water enabled.  You've got way too many surfaces there, and half of them don't draw - there are just a couple random sections that have reflections, and it's basically rendering the map 3x's.

A few more things:
The cap doesn't work on the blue side.
Cap points are backward from standard CTF - at least make them colored so players know where to bring the flags.
You really need to do some form of lighting, even if it's the old fashioned sky lighting.  It looks like the map didn't even go through the rad phase (maybe you had a leak?).  Do a final compile.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 05:13:57 AM »
 I did a final compile. It went through all phases. I told you, when I added "pbsky1 fogd .5 .5 .6 .0015" value to key "sky" then the sun lighting dissapeared! Shouldnt the map be black if there are no lights, but it isnt black, so therefore the map is lit.
And why I "really" need some additional lighting? I use dp with default settings and the visibility is not bad.. Isnt it even realistic that way?

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »
What is the point in the pong balls locked off in chamber at the sides of the water?

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 07:10:25 AM »
 Its supposed to be a tree model, for eye candy, but i added a wrong path. Fixed.

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »
Blaa : when beta 2 coming out?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
"sky" "pbsky1 fogd .5 .5 .6 .0015"
"classname" "worldspawn"
"maxteams" "2"
"team1" "red"
"team2" "blue"
"gamemode" "84"
"teamnumber" "1"

You don't have any _sun_angle, etc. set.  The map looks really bad without lighting.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »
 I did have it. After I set the fog setting I noticed there is no sun ligthing anymore. Then I removed the unnecessary settings.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »
You probably had an error during your compile, then.  Could you post the output from arghrad?

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 11:35:33 PM »
 Sure, I'll add sun settings and compile again, with fog setting.

EDIT:
http://scythe.planet.ee/dp/myland3/myland3_b2.bsp
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 12:36:21 AM by blaa »

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 12:37:29 AM »
^up

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »