Author Topic: Joomla or Drupal?  (Read 1197 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Joomla or Drupal?
« on: January 24, 2008, 08:18:03 AM »
I am in the process of recreating our web site so that variousdepartments can update their sections with content.

I am looking at both Joomla and Drupal as CMS candidates.

I don't need anything extravegent, just a menu system on the left, possible pictures on teh right frame, logo on top.

If you have used either could you tell me the pros and cons of what you've used?

Thanks

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Joomla or Drupal?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:37:41 AM »
I have only used Drupal. Joomla (ahd the major PHP CMSes) always looked like a piece of crap to me.

Anyways,

Pros of Drupal:
- Well-coded
- Clean
- Looks good
- Inherently easily customizable because everything is a 'node' that can be further customized (either through PHP or through the CCK extensions)
   - (the original map DB was created with just CCK)
- Because of the learning curve, it appears the extensions are of higher quality

Cons of Drupal:
- Learning curve
- May not have as many modules (or themes, but user-submitted themes are fugly) as other CMSes

Really, the only reason I find that Drupal is a cut above the rest is because of its excellent, clean design and its ability to scale to your needs. Joomla has "clean" URLs like this, for heaven sakes: http://www.example.com/component/option,com_contact/task,view/contact_id,1/Itemid,11/

But for your advice to be more useful, I think you'll need to dwelve more into your needs. Do the pages need to be editable by multiple people? Does it need to credit everyone who edited? Are revisions needed? What about file uploads? etc.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:06:05 PM by sk89q »

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »
Its taken that Drupal is for programmers, and Joomla for users. Drupal is cleaner and has SEO core functionality.

I use Joomla for my site, and the main reason I chose it over others is the quality of themes. I have yet to see a decent drupal theme compared to Joomla themes (exaggerated).

Honestly I doubt it matters which one you pick (although every drupal site i've seen looks like sk89q's site) for such a simple site, pick a name out of a hat.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »
Eeek, I hate using user-created themes. They all look so bad.

But anyway, here's a Drupal site:
http://www.warnerbrosrecords.com

Not that you'd expect it. All Joomla sites look the same too, you could say. Although the entire comment is really irrelevant, because if the site did not look like [insert system], how would you know if it was [insert system]?

The thing with Drupal is that you need to install extensions. On its own, it desires features.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:44:25 AM »
SharePoint, yay!

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 07:10:06 PM »
SharePoint, yay!

Heh, my company is pushing MOSS 2007 this year big time, lots of people want to use this MS software, but don't know how to do so effectively = easy money -.-