Author Topic: Tweak: Modified Content Fix  (Read 3061 times)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Tweak: Modified Content Fix
« on: February 04, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
I know that in another thread we want some stuff taken out of that infamous locked DLL.  How about we put the player models and skins inside the DLL file so they cannot be modified?  This would avoid all of the Modified Content bans.  Also, I do not mean to completely close source the media, just lock the specific media being used into the file.

I hope somebody understands my point.  :P

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Tweak: Modified Content Fix
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:31:25 PM »
Jit could just... stop people from playing online with modified content completely...

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 09:55:04 AM »
I really don't like the existing modified content check.  I would really like to see a server-side sv_pure option to enforce things like skins and models when necessary, but it's not really feasible since we all hate .paks so much and there isn't custom skin support (anymore..).

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 10:45:37 AM »
What if you just take the map checksumming routine and apply it to all files loaded? That way, if skin checksums mismatched, it would be re-downloaded and overwritten, preventing the would-be hacker from ever using it.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »
What if you just take the map checksumming routine and apply it to all files loaded? That way, if skin checksums mismatched, it would be re-downloaded and overwritten, preventing the would-be hacker from ever using it.
I like this idea better.  I actually was going to request something of this nature.  The texture that automatically is used when you don't have a texture downloaded is ugly but the problem with this idea is, some servers don't have the texture that needs to be downloaded so if someone needs to re-download the texture and the server doesn't have it, what happens next?

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 02:34:38 PM »
I think Jit should just stop people with modified content from playing online completely. If it doesn't match, you get kicked. No need to waste our bandwidth, and no need to deal with people who try to play regardless.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 02:37:24 PM »
I think Jit should just stop people with modified content from playing online completely. If it doesn't match, you get kicked. No need to waste our bandwidth, and no need to deal with people who try to play regardless.
True but if someone were to delete all of their textures, would that give a modded content warning because if someone plays in a server with all the textures being displayed as the default, wouldn't that give them a sight advantage?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:13:05 PM »
I like the Checksum idea better than mine.  Sounds like it would work good.  And Garret, if the file doesn't exist it will download it, but if the file exists but the checksums do not match then they will be kicked/banned.  And maybe store that checksum in the DLL so it cant get away with playing on a server that has modified content?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 12:18:02 AM »
The problem with checking against the game servers is that the media is usually outdated or nonexistent.  Storing data files in an executable would be a big pain in the butt to deal with each release, I think, and it kind of defeats the purpose of having data files to begin with.  The executable would become bloated and probably take up a lot more memory.  I think using a pak file would probably be the most logical way to go.  It would prevent basic tinkerings.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »
What if the server downloads the checksum from a global server, then compares them to the client's?

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 04:20:01 PM »
What if the server downloads the checksum from a global server, then compares them to the client's?
I think the checking server would need the .map file to make sure everything is legit then.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 08:33:09 PM »
I think the checking server would need the .map file to make sure everything is legit then.

No it wouldn't.  It would just need the checksum of the correct .bsp file.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 08:50:15 PM »
No it wouldn't.  It would just need the checksum of the correct .bsp file.
I gotta read more literature on this stuff I guess...