Author Topic: The Real Problem...  (Read 14776 times)

loial21

• Autococker
Re: The Real Problem...
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2005, 05:35:06 PM »
you mean where people getting flamed down by the vets? oh thats real fun. :(
Perhaps A topic where only Jitspoe can give feedback. Its his game you might support it by playing and mapping. Thats it. Money does not grow on trees, niether  does his time. Who are you all to piss on everything you dont agree with. Get a life is a subjective term, acting kind to other people's opinions is not. If you aint got nothing nice to say, or cant say it politely....then be quiet :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2005, 07:42:16 PM »
Anyway, sorry for the flame.  I'm not one for disliking people, but if you perpetually hurl insults at me, sooner or later I'm going to quit liking you.

On a serious note, digi drew a parallel to changes in sports.  Now, I'm no sports historian, but I'm fairly certain that there were quite a number of evolutions and changes to the game we Americans now know as football.  There had to have been.  The thing has rules up the wazoo.  They didn't just spontaneously come into existence overnight.  Times change.  People change.  Strategies change.  New things get introduced that the old rules didn't account for.

Now, take the ball flight in paintball2.  How many of you seriously think the old ball flight would work well in the game now?  Things have changed.  Nearly everyone is playing on highspeed internet access, and people strafe jump at velocities that would exceed highway speed limits. Players can now move faster than the old balls used to fly.  The old balls moved so slow that we even had to reduce the gravity.  These days, people could practically run circles around them.  We had to do it that way back then because of velocity restrictions we didn't know how to work around.  Later I fixed that and set the ball velocities to be that of real paintballs.  Some public testing revealed that this opened up a whole new range of strategies.  Instead of having to lob balls over everything and aim at the sky the whole time, you could actually shoot through and under various obstructions, and hit targets where you were aiming!  I and others thought this was a good thing.  I'm sorry for trying to improve the game.  Please forgive me.

Now, if you truly believe the old ball flight was better.  That's fine.  Go set yourself up a server with it.

Oh, and how would you suggest I go about introducing new features in the future, Blitz?

Murdock

• PGP
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2005, 08:48:49 PM »
Now, I'm no sports historian, but I'm fairly certain that there were quite a number of evolutions and changes to the game we Americans now know as football.

As a Pats fan, I'd like to point to the "Tuck Rule." =)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2005, 09:09:08 PM »
Anyway, sorry for the flame.  I'm not one for disliking people, but if you perpetually hurl insults at me, sooner or later I'm going to quit liking you.

On a serious note, digi drew a parallel to changes in sports.  Now, I'm no sports historian, but I'm fairly certain that there were quite a number of evolutions and changes to the game we Americans now know as football.  There had to have been.  The thing has rules up the wazoo.  They didn't just spontaneously come into existence overnight.  Times change.  People change.  Strategies change.  New things get introduced that the old rules didn't account for.

Now, take the ball flight in paintball2.  How many of you seriously think the old ball flight would work well in the game now?  Things have changed.  Nearly everyone is playing on highspeed internet access, and people strafe jump at velocities that would exceed highway speed limits. Players can now move faster than the old balls used to fly.  The old balls moved so slow that we even had to reduce the gravity.  These days, people could practically run circles around them.  We had to do it that way back then because of velocity restrictions we didn't know how to work around.  Later I fixed that and set the ball velocities to be that of real paintballs.  Some public testing revealed that this opened up a whole new range of strategies.  Instead of having to lob balls over everything and aim at the sky the whole time, you could actually shoot through and under various obstructions, and hit targets where you were aiming!  I and others thought this was a good thing.  I'm sorry for trying to improve the game.  Please forgive me.

Now, if you truly believe the old ball flight was better.  That's fine.  Go set yourself up a server with it.

Oh, and how would you suggest I go about introducing new features in the future, Blitz?
Blitz really hit on the point with his first post about this 2 years ago feb 2003? Loial cries "I cant see my balls damit!!!!" 

More important I also belive in the adapt and overcome mythos. Logic clearly dictates change is must, otherwise lets all play blitz all the time always on a q2 engine...... (chaos is must in combat) What is so hard about adpating a strategy and or ethos that supports bad spelling and chaos? Nothing can always go as planned dear sirs, war clearly is not logical nor lawful, mostly.   Mostly.

NO BLUE LINE IN HOCKEY IS GHEY>

EDIT i like blutz and blitz.bsp :) hugs

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2005, 09:29:46 PM »
my take is jit is doing a good job sure some things i dont agree with but the point is that its really his game and he can do what he wants if you dont like it how about you just done play. its not like you are paying for the game. maybe if everyone sent jit $30 for the right to play a game he might listen.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2005, 10:07:10 PM »

Simply allowing those of us in the community (who care) some time to discuss impending changes before you implement them. I know you're fairly active with this kind of info on the forums as of late, but I think a more dynamic structure would really be usefull.

A random idea, you host a #pball_update discussion or something on ETG a few days prior to releasing a significant change to the game. You make it well known via the website/whatnot that you're going to do this.. and then have a 45 minute chat session where you explain your reasoning/take questions/etc. Now, if people don't come to something like this and afterwards complain, I will definately defend your position.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2005, 11:32:37 PM »
Simply allowing those of us in the community (who care) some time to discuss impending changes before you implement them.
Who are us?

A random idea, you host a #pball_update discussion or something on ETG a few days prior to releasing a significant change to the game
Why not on forum? Feels a sudden shift towards...be quiet loial u dont know [poop]
we want to vent in private. well ok even if you did not,

I have not only in the last year made the lamest suggestions and called unknown to persons who do not know how cheat, cheaters, or am, I wrong?

I have said I am sorry. Why cant any one else appriciate this game and play it, without being personal? Sad...
  4thx i miss ya

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2005, 12:11:02 AM »
  From what I remember of the old time servers... I think Knack had servers up... heck I don't remember who else.  Everyone overflowed a couple times a game, only a few people could double the kill/death ratio.  I'm sure no one wants the game to return to those days.  Improvements or non-improvements have happened over several years, even with my very little participation I've seen Jitspoe asking for opinions. Usually they get very little response, this may be due to simpy not enough people seeing the posts or maybe it's just that most people don't care.
  I've seen several people volunteer to help with the develoment of the game, but unless they can bring skills to the table I'm sure it would only slow down the process instead of actually helping.  I'm one of those people, I'd like to help, but I don't know how to help.
  I really don't think the problem is that Jitspoe doesn't listen, it's just that he may not agree for whatever reason, or he thinks changing something in the game will make it better.  I don't know him very well but he seems open and willing for discussion to me.
  I also don't know about the early history of the game, but I understand this was a group effort and I'm curious how it became a one man show?  Is Jitspoe the last man standing?  Did everyone else move on?
  Anyway, overall the game rox, this is the only game I've played for so long so there must be something right about it.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2005, 12:31:20 AM »
I can pay with time and money and still I play without my say. So be it.

I have forever been named a stupid arse that knows not a thing about combat. But still I  have fun.) Why cant you?

FLamebotson - loial's new name. (Flame-bots-on)

Dear Hobo,

You have come along ways and so have I.      .....lets dance.........lets daNCE!!!........

Camperlove.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2005, 12:56:39 AM »
 Haha, you're funny loial... :)

Anyone can camp... but it takes a Hobo to properly cook the beans...

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2005, 01:41:26 AM »
Anyway, sorry for the flame.  I'm not one for disliking people, but if you perpetually hurl insults at me, sooner or later I'm going to quit liking you.

On a serious note, digi drew a parallel to changes in sports.  Now, I'm no sports historian, but I'm fairly certain that there were quite a number of evolutions and changes to the game we Americans now know as football.  There had to have been.  The thing has rules up the wazoo.  They didn't just spontaneously come into existence overnight.  Times change.  People change.  Strategies change.  New things get introduced that the old rules didn't account for.

Now, take the ball flight in paintball2.  How many of you seriously think the old ball flight would work well in the game now?  Things have changed.  Nearly everyone is playing on highspeed internet access, and people strafe jump at velocities that would exceed highway speed limits. Players can now move faster than the old balls used to fly.  The old balls moved so slow that we even had to reduce the gravity.  These days, people could practically run circles around them.  We had to do it that way back then because of velocity restrictions we didn't know how to work around.  Later I fixed that and set the ball velocities to be that of real paintballs.  Some public testing revealed that this opened up a whole new range of strategies.  Instead of having to lob balls over everything and aim at the sky the whole time, you could actually shoot through and under various obstructions, and hit targets where you were aiming!  I and others thought this was a good thing.  I'm sorry for trying to improve the game.  Please forgive me.

Now, if you truly believe the old ball flight was better.  That's fine.  Go set yourself up a server with it.

??.. for the 6 or so years I've played.. I've always moved the same. How do you figure we're suddenly moving faster?

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2005, 01:43:14 AM »
Simply allowing those of us in the community (who care) some time to discuss impending changes before you implement them.
Who are us?

A random idea, you host a #pball_update discussion or something on ETG a few days prior to releasing a significant change to the game
Why not on forum? Feels a sudden shift towards...be quiet loial u dont know [poop]
we want to vent in private. well ok even if you did not,

I have not only in the last year made the lamest suggestions and called unknown to persons who do not know how cheat, cheaters, or am, I wrong?

I have said I am sorry. Why cant any one else appriciate this game and play it, without being personal? Sad...
  4thx i miss ya

many more people on irc then on here. only people I see post that I know on irc are dt and Blitz. the rest are some random people I've never heard of. IRC would be much more effective. I didnt even use/know of the forums until a few days ago.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2005, 01:44:38 AM »
  From what I remember of the old time servers... I think Knack had servers up... heck I don't remember who else.  Everyone overflowed a couple times a game, only a few people could double the kill/death ratio.  I'm sure no one wants the game to return to those days.  Improvements or non-improvements have happened over several years, even with my very little participation I've seen Jitspoe asking for opinions. Usually they get very little response, this may be due to simpy not enough people seeing the posts or maybe it's just that most people don't care.
  I've seen several people volunteer to help with the develoment of the game, but unless they can bring skills to the table I'm sure it would only slow down the process instead of actually helping.  I'm one of those people, I'd like to help, but I don't know how to help.
  I really don't think the problem is that Jitspoe doesn't listen, it's just that he may not agree for whatever reason, or he thinks changing something in the game will make it better.  I don't know him very well but he seems open and willing for discussion to me.
  I also don't know about the early history of the game, but I understand this was a group effort and I'm curious how it became a one man show?  Is Jitspoe the last man standing?  Did everyone else move on?
  Anyway, overall the game rox, this is the only game I've played for so long so there must be something right about it.

I just read the first line of that.. so you're saying, since the game was more difficult back then it made it worse? lmfao.. good call! That's basically how I look at the changes.. he made everything easier for people who sucked. Took away the challenge.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2005, 06:23:38 AM »
by Blitz: many more people on irc then on here. only people I see post that I know on irc are dt and Blitz. the rest are some random people I've never heard of. IRC would be much more effective. I didnt even use/know of the forums until a few days ago.

I'm on irc all the time annoying the masses.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2005, 08:54:32 AM »
Digi,
  Are you upset because you can no longer trounce everyone in the game, on every map, on any day?  I know who you are, and you have also reminded me what you are, maybe if you'd learn who some of us are you wouldn't be so angry.  One advantage of the forums is that you don't have to be there 24/7 to particapate, whereas IRC is more interactive and everyone just talks over the top of everyone else.  In the forum you can review what someone has to say, even read the whole post if you want.  I also seem to remember you posting on this forum several times, even before a few days ago, even a few years ago for that matter.  I suppose someone else could have been using your name but I doubt it.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2005, 10:17:57 AM »
Digi,
  Are you upset because you can no longer trounce everyone in the game, on every map, on any day?  I know who you are

No. I'm upset because it's now EASIER to do so, smartass.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2005, 10:35:50 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:10:14 AM by Dirty_Taco »

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2005, 11:11:01 AM »
lmao, believe me, digi still trounces everyone in the game. Blitz does too, if we lose its usually my fault, xbains fault, or fyres fault. Typically we just blame the loss on fyre whether he's there or not.

LOL

good old fyre

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2005, 11:58:20 AM »
lmao, believe me, digi still trounces everyone in the game. Blitz does too, if we lose its usually my fault, xbains fault, or fyres fault. Typically we just blame the loss on fyre whether he's there or not.

lol

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2005, 07:26:32 PM »
??.. for the 6 or so years I've played.. I've always moved the same. How do you figure we're suddenly moving faster?
Strafe jumping was not nearly as prevalent back then.  Few knew how to do it, and those that did were not nearly as proficient as people are today.  The quake2 physics were new to everyone, and trick jumps that are trivial to do now were very difficult back then.  I seem to recall it taking quite a while before the castle1 1-man backdoor was even discovered.