Author Topic: New Map-ish thing: King of the Pit  (Read 7168 times)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: New Map-ish thing: King of the Pit
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 04:06:33 PM »
Put the flag there but stick a clip brush arount it :D

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 05:37:22 PM »
No. :D

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 03:17:26 AM »
Bump with map!

I fixed the yellow barrel misalignment with a Python script, made the walls a tiny bit interesting (but I'll probably work on them more), and fixed the one wrong-facing spawn. Lighting in this version is awful- anyone know how I could get believable moon/night lighting? I can't seem to make anything that looks right with the lights I'm using.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 06:02:22 AM »
Just use sun lighting with a low _sun_light value and a slightly blue _sun_color.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 11:33:52 AM »
That's what I'm doing. It doesn't look good.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 02:14:22 PM »
Not sure if this will work the way you want it to, but try a black fog.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 11:43:35 PM »
Black fog no, but a dark fog at the right density looks incredible. New version up soon.

EDIT: Up'd. This be RC1.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 01:28:33 AM by Eiii »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »
Still needs more light.  It looks dark on my laptop, and my laptop screen is even brighter than my desktop.  Maps like these cause people to crank up their gamma and make the whole game look crappy. :P

Also, you need to set a message in the worldspawn.  I'd throw a flag in the middle even if you just put it in the pit.  It's nice to have an in-map indicator that somebody is on the hill.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »
Mmkay. The message and such will all be done for the actual release, and I'll stick a flag down there- but are you sure there's no way to make a non-hill flag that still reflects the state of the game?

I'll crank up the lighting some, as well.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »
I don't think there is, but I'm on my laptop so I can't check for sure.  I played it on the beta server today, but it wasn't very popular.  I tried to get the guys to post some feedback, but I think the only English words they knew were "bad map".

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
Hey, the only current KOTH map is King of the Ship, and I'm pretty sure this is a step up from that. ;)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 12:51:22 AM »
Bump + map. I'll throw in a screenshot or two, as well.

I brightened it up 20 or so. I'm aware that it's dark- it's supposed to be dark. It takes place at night. You know, when there's no sun.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 02:00:05 PM »
I've put it up on the beta server.  I'm not sure if I like the fog.  Makes it harder to see on an already hard-to-see-on map, plus it looks out of place with such a clear night sky.  You might consider adding some lights around the ledge area as well.  Did you increass the brightness of the lights or the "sun"?  It doesn't really look much brighter to me.  You may want to take a look at the kots1 worldspawn to see the settings I used for moon light there.

Edit: I just compared the brightness of this map to midnight - you definitely need to brighten it up.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 03:01:01 PM »
Just took a look at it on a lower-quality monitor, and now I definitely agree with the brightening. I bumped up the sun by the way, but I think most lights will be changed for the next beta.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 12:47:15 AM »
I love this map btw, looks great on my LCDs but I'm sure brighter won't kill the setting, Good work Eiii.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 02:43:51 AM »
Brightened some more. This good?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »
Better.  I think it could still stand to be brightened some more.  If my hardware weren't being so stubborn, I'd hook up my old monitor to take a picture of it.  It still looked a little dark on my new monitor, which is really bright, so I imagine it's going to be difficult for some people to see on.  I'd also consider dropping the fog density down a little.

Also, the spawns facing the wall are rather annoying.  Takes a couple seconds to get oriented, and time lost is points lost in KOTH.  I'd make all the spawn points face the center, or at the very least, face the openings of the bunkers.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 12:36:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure all the spawns ARE facing the correct way- I just checked in BSP. Could you take a screenshot of the area you're talking about? I'll crank up the brightness some more as well.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 02:08:35 PM »
Here's a screenshot of what I mean.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2008, 03:29:08 PM »
yea im one of those people that have a monitor that in dark. most on propaint1 i play with gl_brightness 2 or gl_brightness 1 just so everything is clear enoguh to see! i played on yours and the only area i could see well was where the flag is. and thats with gl_brightness 2!