Author Topic: Primed Grenades  (Read 8241 times)

loial21

• Autococker
Re: Primed Grenades
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 12:20:12 AM »
will try harder

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 08:24:05 AM »
Please dont make the grens look like this  ;)

I dont know why u want to change grendes models.They look cool as they are now.

Just my subjective oppinion.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 08:24:56 AM »
Questions:
1) Will these timed grenades explode in mid-air?
2) We will be able to "put the pin back in" to cancel a priming?
3) Could we pickup/catch a thrown grenade and throw it back?
4) Can we carry more than one paint/smoke grenade?
5) Can we carry a paint AND smoke grenade?

I really love this idea.
I think mastering this type of grenade will be tough for most, short of just throwing the grenade.
This will definately have an impact on gameplay.
Definately worth a try!

BTW i'm STILL getting eliminated by paint grenades LONG after they explode...like unrealistically long.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 10:40:01 AM »
I diddn't have time to read anything other than the initial post, but primed grenades to me are an EXCELLENT compromise. Great idea!!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 12:56:28 PM »
I dont know why u want to change grendes models.They look cool as they are now.
Well, the current models are for impact grenades.  It doesn't really make sense for them to be timed.  It would be kind of like using the autococker model for the pgp. :)

BTW i'm STILL getting eliminated by paint grenades LONG after they explode...like unrealistically long.
Yeah, Picasso doesn't have shell access to the servers anymore, so he can't upload the new version that fixes this.

To answer your questions:
1) Yes, unless it leads to super cheap tactics, in which case it may need to be tweaked.
2) No.
3) If the grenade hits you, it will explode, like the old ones do.
4) No.
5) No.

At least, that's how it will be to start out.

It looks like most people are in favor of this idea, so I'd better get to work. :)

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 02:30:12 PM »
I diddn't have time to read anything other than the initial post, but primed grenades to me are an EXCELLENT compromise. Great idea!!

agreed.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 03:04:01 PM »
BUT there would be a great disadvantage.

Match scenario: castle1, 4vs4....all 3 teammates get killed --> 4vs1. The opponent team has got both flags and is cappin (near base). Im somewhere in the middle of the map. THEN I push and hold the "nade" button for 2secs (suicide) and the opponent team gets just grab points (no Captures!!!!)

what about this problem?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 03:28:10 PM »
ooo GOOD CALL.
 /me brushes up on his suicide skill....pull pin....wait, wait, wait....BLAM-O...only flag grab points!

MAYBE....
if ((a round is ended by a suicide) && (the other team has the flag))
  {
  full capture points for the flag holding team;
  }

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 03:34:33 PM »
yeah, or just have the grenade do no damage at all to the person/anyone around it.. if this kind if if suicide -> cap points was implemented.. you'd need to include _all_ forms of suicide (drowning).. and perhaps even extend it to disconnecting (although this isn't much of a problem now adays)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 06:15:45 PM »
2 seconds may sound short, but in the game it's a reasonably long time.  On a number of maps, it's ample time to get half way across the map.  Suiciding is a bit of a gamble.  By the time the grenade went off, the other team will likely have already capped, in which case, you'd simply be giving them another point.  I could see this happening on pubs, but in match scenarios, I don't know that it would be much of an issue.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2005, 11:31:13 PM »
Jitspoe, I know I  dont mean sheet but the count should be 4.5 sec once pin is pulle. What is this two second crap. I need time to speed up "crow hop" if possible to bounce gren further in to thy naughty foes fanny + it gives a great advantage to the tosser. Here is how.

1. 5 vs 2 seconds gives the grenadier a wider options of combating. Now with that said you should have a .wav file for this, the tossing of grenades and the pulling of thy pins. Once pin is pulled,good luck. Unless its somke.

2 5 vs 2 seconds gives the grenadier  a wider range of options to disengage.  ;D

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2005, 11:38:12 PM »
...?

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2005, 06:44:41 AM »
You will agree with my post jits, maybe not now but later ;). Its possible that its going to happen often. But there are good points by others to stop that. But just without the argument about drowning. You need VERY long to drown. You cant make suicide as fast as by making "nade-suicide" or disconnecting. As said in posts of others, there should be full capture points for the flag holding team when someone makes suicide with his nade or when he disconnects

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2005, 10:35:51 AM »
In past discussions about impact vs. timed grenades, people have suggested primable timed grenades.  The basic idea is this: Instead of instantly throwing a timed grenade which explodes after 2 seconds, giving the enemy ample time to get away, you can prime the grenade and hold it for a portion of those 2 seconds, during which you cannot shoot.  For example, you could prime the grenade for 1 second, and it would explode 1 second after you release it.  If you hold the grenade for the full 2 seconds, it will explode and eliminate you.  In fact, to prevent cheap tactics, I think it would be best to have it so primed grenades can always eliminate the thrower.

Please give detailed responses as to why you think primed grenades would or would not work well.  Include hypothetical scenarios if you can.

Terrible.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2005, 01:14:59 PM »
The digi god has spoken, we must all bow down to his opinion because it is superior to everyone elses!

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2005, 01:36:43 PM »
The digi god has spoken, we must all bow down to his opinion because it is superior to everyone elses!

Who said it's superior? I was just stating my opinion. Nowhere did I say it was superior. YOU'RE the one who thinks he's the god of dp. You don't even play the game in my opinion. You shouldn't have the right to change things without experience. But meh, we all have to sit back and take it. I dont really care, because in reality, no matter how easy you make the game for yourself, it'll just be EASIER for me.

I love how you threw in that god joke. Unfortunately everyone feels that way about you, not me.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 01:38:06 PM »
PS -- I'm looking forward to the gorilla launchers.  ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2005, 01:41:21 PM »
Please give detailed responses
"Terrible" doesn't help much.  Why do you think it's terrible?

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2005, 01:44:10 PM »
Please give detailed responses
"Terrible" doesn't help much.  Why do you think it's terrible?

I think there's NOTHING wrong with the original grenades. Why haven't people been complaining all this time if they're so awful? You put out impact grenades and people are complaining left and right. Doesn't that tell you something?

"Don't fix what doesn't need fixing."

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2005, 06:41:10 PM »
...?
Glad you asked.

Lets say you just primed the grenade and a teamate for one reason or another gets in the way of the intended area of effect or for what ever reason you need to disengage and dump the grenade, having 5 seconds gives you more, safer options where to lobeth thy grenade, in a most safe place.

When using a primed grenade ideally you would like the option hurling it as far or as high as possable, in effect giving the thrower a longer range.  Having a longer fuse gives you a longer range.  Which in effect allows you to now safely toss or bounce grenades further.

Sorry I thought. I know it hurts.