Author Topic: Hacking  (Read 12990 times)

digi

• 68 Carbine
Hacking
« on: November 02, 2005, 01:41:05 PM »
So, it's bad enough that it's already easier to hack in DP then in counterstrike.. and there's ZERO cheat protection.. Now jitspoe wants to make it so you can't spec the other team. What will that do? Other then make it easier for people to hack of course..?

The only way to catch someone hacking now is to spec them and demo. If you can't spec them, they can cheat even more freely then they can now.

Discuss.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Hacking
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:45:01 PM »
^ truth

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:58:01 PM »
Hack detection is already in the works.  In the meantime, for official matches, all players should be required to record demos and be able to provide them should any questionable behavior be observed.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 02:16:50 PM »
How do you go about 'requiring' something like that?

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 02:21:07 PM »
How do you go about 'requiring' something like that?

It basically comes down to a few clans enforcing this in matches. No demos, no match. Jit should post on the appropriate forum section and start a list of clans willing to require this for all matches.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 02:34:43 PM »
Hack detection is already in the works.  In the meantime, for official matches, all players should be required to record demos and be able to provide them should any questionable behavior be observed.

Yeah, people SHOULD do it..
But lets look at it realistically, no one does.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 02:58:46 PM »
You can state the requirements beforehand.  Something like, "Unwillingness or inability to provide a demo of the match will result in nullification of the match results if the unwilling party wins the match."

Actually, what we should really do is put together an official list of match rules.  Anybody want to work on this?

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 03:00:21 PM »
You can state the requirements beforehand.  Something like, "Unwillingness or inability to provide a demo of the match will result in nullification of the match results if the unwilling party wins the match."

Actually, what we should really do is put together an official list of match rules.  Anybody want to work on this?

Wouldn't really be that good of a solution.. People would be losing matches simply because they forgot to start up a demo. I've done it many times in other games/leagues but never been asked for my demo. It's hard to remember to do sometimes.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 03:00:47 PM »
Oh, and I'd be glad to help with match rules.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 03:36:14 PM »
Jitspoe, I dont know if you know about punkbuster, but its a program that takes real-time screenshots and saves them on the server. This way, if someone is hacking, you can see there screen and detect it. I cant imagine it would be *THAT* hard to make one that sends the screenshots right to you? Hell, make it and I'lll let it send them to me, and I'll review them and see whose hacking. Its just a really good idea that doesnt require all this cheat detection, just have it send screenshots to the user then let a human decide.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 04:08:17 PM »

I already suggested that to him.. and he probably thought of it anyways. But remember.. punkbuster can usually be hacked around. Many cheats work with PB.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 04:18:31 PM »
I know, PB is a screenshotter + a cheat detector. Though Im saying only to use the screenshot feature of it. Use human eyes to detect the cheats.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 05:12:56 PM »
Yeah, it's all planned.  I wouldn't go with something mainstream like punkbuster, though, since as digi mentioned, there are already hacks that work with it.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 05:29:35 PM »
The only thing im worried about, is that your going to release it with the source code, making it easier for people to bypass.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 05:31:15 PM »
bad hacks bad xxxx bad
I know discussing public use is laghable to most here, but if cheating is such a worry and rampant (i was told in this forum unless your not using q2 its virtually impossible to cheat) in matching how bad is it on the public users considering to join clan matching. Just a thought. 

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 05:53:15 PM »
The only thing im worried about, is that your going to release it with the source code, making it easier for people to bypass.

Concern mirrored here. A third party has to step up with a solution. I'm still trying to figure out raw memory mangagement in .net - something made even harder since I don't have experience with evil C pointers :(

BSoD

• Stingray
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 11:16:18 AM »
Small community of DPBers means not very much hack protection is required.. So why dont you just make something to assign us DPB Identification and ban when you see someone hacking..? Then when hack protection is implemented its not just "Kick".. but a huge reason not to hack.

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 01:51:36 PM »
Small community of DPBers means not very much hack protection is required.. So why dont you just make something to assign us DPB Identification and ban when you see someone hacking..? Then when hack protection is implemented its not just "Kick".. but a huge reason not to hack.

Please outline a consistent method of IDing players that couldn't be exploited with relative ease by most of the people here.

BSoD

• Stingray
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 04:46:08 PM »

Please outline a consistent method of IDing players that couldn't be exploited with relative ease by most of the people here.

Hardware bans such as punkbuster or Database of IPs that stores unique ids.. :)

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 05:23:09 PM »
Hardware bans such as punkbuster or Database of IPs that stores unique ids.. :)

So what I do is start fiddling with clock speeds or other hardware configuration, including swapping out drivers to ruin my ID, then go into the open source and just remove the IDing logic all together?
Storing IPs is equally as useless since the few with a static IP can just call their ISP.

The only reason a scheme like that works is when you've got something like Steam that basically forces you to give valve more money to get a new unbanned login. it