Author Topic: map idea - school  (Read 9528 times)

Pepperoni

• PGP
map idea - school
« on: March 04, 2008, 03:17:42 PM »
i think a school themed map could be about any size.

it could be a one-room school house, or it could have hallways and classrooms, a gym, cafeteria and lots of stuff.  it might turn into a camper map though with all the rooms, so you would have to figure out some way to keep that from happening.

if you wanted to add an outdoor portion a playground would allow you to incorporate some jumps

eliminated players could go to the detention room and watch the round through the window.

so is it a good idea or do you think it would suck?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: map idea - school
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »
all the times it has been attempted before have resulted in fail

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »
all the times it has been attempted before have resulted in fail
Man I thought the same thing when I read the first post.  Although the map will have the potential to look nice, the game play would be terrible in my opinion.  Give it a shot if you have some ideas, it never hurts to try.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »
I only see it working well as a dm map, though I think I have some nice ideas for some school related jumps.

Maybe a school siege?

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »
when we were learning to map, me and reed modelled the atrium of our university - was amazingly accurate too.

However, it was rubbish as a map. Having said that, we can't really judge the gameplay of the map seeing as none of its layout have actually been discussed, just ideas for rooms.

Thinking about it, I'd quite like to give it a go if I had the time. Then again, anyone remember that story in the news a while ago about that guy who made a CS map of his school and he was expelled for it because they accused him of making a columbine simulator? I guess paintball is a lot less aggressive than CS, though.

- Dag

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:13:55 PM »
I have a rough draft layout of the high school I attended but I am not even close to doing anything with it, I have hardly been playing the game at all so I'll just send it to someone to finish or someone can make their own.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 12:15:05 AM »
Be careful.  You could get arrested.

SgtFlufflz

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 12:21:33 AM »
Racist People at that school, that's all I have to say jitspoe... I've seen schools in maps and excrement but this is just out of hand... Sorry for cuss :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 12:37:46 AM »
I was looking for the article that Jitspoe posted, we had it posted here before.  A school map seems kind of lame to me anyway...

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 06:14:32 AM »
schoolv5 or something is what you are looking for.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 07:16:07 AM »
The more I think about it, the cooler I think it could be if it was done right. I wish I had bernards watch so I could give it a go. I'm imagininig it sort of like a charicature of real schools in the same vein as Bully (or whatever its called in the UK). Mucho texture work and visual tricks though. There are loads of ideas for multiple routes and neat outdoors areas, flag/cap mechanics, etc... I just don't think people should consider basing it around their own school, not only are real locations generally rubbish for DP maps, it would only really make any sense to the map maker and their friends!

- Dag

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 05:15:17 PM »
I've actually had this idea for a while.  Back in the quake1 days, I was planning to make a map called "paintball101" and have a layout similar to my high school and have all the QI developer names written on a chalk board as credits.  I think I may have started on a locker texture.

Problem is, it would be very difficult to get good gameplay out of it.  Long, narrow hallways with dead-end rooms that have tiny entrances (I don't think the player will even fit through a to-scale doorway) don't really work too well.  You could possibly make it work with an elaborate school layout that focuses on the larger areas like libraries and cafeterias.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 05:55:19 PM »
yeah thats what I was envisioning. You can't really write off maps which have corridors in, because in practice there are popular maps with these features which work well - Castle1, PP1, etc... and im not exactly a scale-nazi (within reason) so I think with that leeway and some artistic license it would be pretty neat. Like I said before, there wouldn't be things like long narrow hallways with dead-end rooms and narrow entrances, the actual logical topology of the map would be much more conventional, but with an elementary/primary school style.

- Dag

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »
Make a map of the Simson's Elementary school.  It has larger hallways and is a very basic layout of a school.

gir

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 07:08:30 PM »
I had the thought earlier of doing my school, but that would be hard. how the heck do you make a dome?

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »
it sounds like a siege game play is more suited to a school map...

btw, that link... some people are so narrow-minded.

oh yea... arrest RickD for making that church siege map ;) so tasteless ;) (i'm kidding :D ... that map is really good. the organ is a nice touch)

EDIT: I just had an idea for the "school map." It sounds kinda dumb but might work... make a miniature version of a school campus, and play as "giants" (yes, i know it's dumb but you get away with the hallways and corridors)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 03:35:19 AM »
haha Reed made Grave, not me!

I don't know how many giants went to school, I mean from what I've learned from reading The BFG, giants aren't really big on education (pun intended).

Did anyone ever play Skool Daze? <- thats the style that I'd go for in my school map.

- Dagless

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 11:41:26 AM »
Siege, definitely. You could start behind a row of houses all arounfd the map, surrounded by the back garden fences, and have the small rooms as spawn/camping spots. Narrow hallways would test speed (?) Or reactions. Could be a very cool idea, if done properly. Get someone to do it, then get DT to rip it up and re-do it and you've got a decent map.

Or is this one of the times again where I'm completely wrong and turn the thread into a flame war? Just throwing ideas about.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 12:10:40 PM »
haha Reed made Grave, not me!

I don't know how many giants went to school, I mean from what I've learned from reading The BFG, giants aren't really big on education (pun intended).

Did anyone ever play Skool Daze? <- thats the style that I'd go for in my school map.

- Dagless

oh... my mistake... arrest reed! :D

i dont mean "giants" going to school but i'm saying scale down a school campus and use buildings as barrels sorta speak :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »
It would be cool to get our best mappers, environmental modelers, texture artists, and designers together to produce a school map that is actually something worthwhile.