Author Topic: portable version?  (Read 2505 times)

Xena

• VM-68
portable version?
« on: March 19, 2008, 03:10:38 PM »
has anyone tried running dpball off a usb drive? say a 1gb or bigger usb drive.

could that be done on a modified cfg file? instead of loading from c:\dpball, run it off x:\dpball

i think that might come in handy if possible if you travel a lot or use different computers.

also, can you connect the game behind a proxy server?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: portable version?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »
Yes you could run it off of a thumb drive as the exe wil lrun from memory once loaded.

As far as running from behind a proxy, that all depends on the proxy, but I bet you mean firewall...

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »
no, not firewall... firewall i know you can for sure but proxy server... if the computer you're using restricts the type of webpages you visit and you need to use proxy server to access those restricted sites (ie. facebook and so on) is there a way around that.

do you need to change the config file to the x drive so that it runs off the usb? cause each computer may read the usb as a different drive or if you run from from usb, you bypass the configureations?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
you only need to change configs if you want to run a server.  Then you need to point to the correct server configs.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:05:28 PM »
and the other question regarding proxy?

ie schools blocking out email site... and you use something like kproxy or private proxy server to access those webpage.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:59 PM »
The config files are all referenced relatively, so it doesn't matter what the drive letter is.  And you would be using a proxy because of firewall restrictions.  It all depends on what you want to do, exactly, but it sounds like you want to run a public server behind a firewall, correct?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 11:16:20 PM »
Lol, don't run a public server of a USB Drive.  It will be to slow.  If you want to play it at work or school or something just use the start new game function.  I do that at school.  Get caught with a game on your own 100mb of space it gets locked and you cant modify, delete or open that space.  So if you have Paintball on there with 95mb of space used it gets locked and your basically screwed.

But yeh, dont run a public server at school or work, it will lag and also if you have restricted upload and download limits that will mess around easily if someone downloads off it.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »
haha, alright... i'm not attempting to run a server, just running the game and connecting TO a server but i was just throwing ideas out and probably wont do it.

it's not school (since i've finished school a few years now). it's more for work. I wont be attempting anything but i got curious. My work restricts all these webpages that has nothing related to work, ie email, dpball, google, ebay, etc...

the only way to connect to these pages (what i'm doing RIGHT now) is using a public proxy to bypass detection.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 08:35:05 AM »
[...]
the only way to connect to these pages (what i'm doing RIGHT now) is using a public proxy to bypass detection.
Man, in my school, if you even search for a proxy, the network admin would report you to the office.  Okay, a little exaggerated but if you use or attempt to use a proxy, your are in some serious crap.
If your work restricts access to web sites, why aren't proxies blocked?  Anyone who can type knows about proxies.  Also, don't they monitor what sites you guys do access?

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 09:42:54 AM »
If your work restricts access to web sites, why aren't proxies blocked?  Anyone who can type knows about proxies.  Also, don't they monitor what sites you guys do access?

lol, i dont know why either... but it working for me... although, we have used proxy server to access things that are work related...

maybe somethings are best left unanswered...

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
[...]
maybe somethings are best left unanswered...
How true.  Why ask questions about something that would inconvenience you if you don't need to ask questions and get away with it.
If you guys use them for work related stuff also, that is probably a good reason why they aren't blocked.
Side-Note:  Gaming at work = dangerous

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 10:21:19 AM »
all webpages are blocked except... the company webpages that we uses (for activation), ordering supplies, and manufaturer's webpage and even then, some manufacturer's webpages are blocked.

we can't even get into google... we would use proxy servers for gather info on clients. ie their webapge and type of business they're in so we can get a solution for them.

but i'll lock the topic now since you can't go any further with the proxy.