Author Topic: New Map: The Forbidden Valley  (Read 29355 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: New Map: The Forbidden Valley
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2008, 06:25:31 AM »
Already done in b9 Laged, you gave that Idea to me and I put it in there for you :).

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2008, 11:35:30 PM »
Well, I've wanted to change those things around, still don't know what texture, suggestions would be helpful :).  I tried a few but this one only satisfied me, its the marble ctp1 texture.

But it still doesn't fit, but looks much better than the others i tried.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2008, 04:09:24 AM »
looks good, you could make that walkway see through if you wanted. like keep the same brush but see through.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2008, 05:19:54 AM »
I wouldn't like it if it was transparent. Maybe use a wood texture and use a metal texture for "small details". I mean, like make the corners with the metal texture. I don't know how to explain it but you know what I mean :P

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2008, 05:54:48 AM »
a metal siding like thing around the hole thing?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2008, 06:00:02 AM »
I thought I gave you the .map file to look at Laged.  Edit it and show me what u mean :).

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »
This goes a bit offtopic but yeah, you gave it to me once. I reinstalled bsp and lost the .map, feel free to send the .map to me again :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2008, 01:33:13 AM »
If you use that, you should use something like this for the pillars: http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/ncstone.jpg

Could be interesting, but you may have to re-theme the entire map to make it look right.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2008, 04:33:00 AM »
Yeh, well Laged showed me what he meant so I'll upload it when I get around to it.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2008, 05:37:23 AM »
Well, re-themeing is not really what I want to do right now so here is what Laged wanted to show me, but i'll change it round if it would be better than the marble.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2008, 04:24:22 AM »
I this the reason why he wanted to change the marble is because the supports are made of wood and might not go with the marble.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2008, 05:10:05 AM »
Uhh, I might have realized already...  That's why I didn't really want to go with the marble, or re-theme the whole map.  I should get back into finishing this, ever since the subject History came onto my timetable I've had so much homework.  I still havn't fixed the edges on the bd paths, still playing around with them, but I still need a lil feedback on what Laged did and if I did something like that, how I would make it look, etc.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »
Well I didn't spend much time on that thingy I made, it will look better if you spend more time with it.
Also, I think maybe a selfmade texture would look cool there :D

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2008, 02:41:25 PM »
If only I could get wally to work properly...

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2009, 10:04:13 PM »
Last couple of weeks I spent moving house, and since I was without net for a week I decided to come back and do a little work on this.  Well, maybe a bit more than I expected.

Changes:
 - The ledges in the bases have been completely changed, havn't got around to doing anything in the mid yet about that
 - Changed textures on the ladders in mid (the wooden ones)
 - Fixed the edges in the backdoor paths (havn't done the bottom one, forgot about it before the final compile, i'll do it for next beta)
 - Due to complaints, all spawn with carbines, although I'm still thinking of making it 50/50 of vm68 and carbines.

Credit is due to Laged, he gave me the idea for the wooden ledges, and I thought it was a great one :D.

---->DOWNLOAD HERE<----

Will updated screenies on the first page and add a link later.

Another thing that I still don't like is the high backdoor part.  I thought about it for a while and I can't seem to think of a way to make it better, it just looks boring, and I forgot my original idea for it :\.  Suggestions?

edit: updated screenies on first page and added a dl link
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 03:32:35 AM by Cameron »

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2009, 11:29:24 AM »
I haven't read the whole thread so might be suggested/said already, but i'm going to post them anyways.

1.Maybe make meatl trimmings there too and roof looks stupid when it's pure junk of metal.
2.Maybe make other texture, that grey wizwood might be good.
3.Make this dirt
4.Make the edges meet like the line in the pictue

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »
1:  Yeh, I only got around to doing the bases, took me a while to do them.  I'm working on fixing up the mid with metal trimmings.  And with the roof of it, first of all when i made it I assumed some places were actually like that, but I'm going to make it a hollow pyramid type thing.

2:  Yeah.... I'm not sure why I ended up using that texture, I think jitspoe told me that I should've changed the wooden planks, but same as above, it'll have the metal trimmings.

3:  I'm not going to bother doing anything in there, because I want to completely redo that path, it just looks plain and i hate it :P.

4:  It doesn't seem natural then, they are hay bails (i think thats the texture) and it just doesn't seem right irl to have a 45 degree angle on the ends of the bails.

I'm hoping to get around to finishing b10 before I go back to school, because then I'll probably run out of time for this again :P.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2009, 02:49:55 AM »
4:  It doesn't seem natural then, they are hay bails (i think thats the texture) and it just doesn't seem right irl to have a 45 degree angle on the ends of the bails.

Oh sorry. I though it's wood. But make them bails, they're just long line. Hey bails aren't like that, i know it. Just cut them from some points and add end texture. Good to go :)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2009, 03:57:25 AM »
Oh sorry. I though it's wood. But make them bails, they're just long line. Hey bails aren't like that, i know it. Just cut them from some points and add end texture. Good to go :)
Good point, i'll change that as well :).  You have any ideas for that high backdoor path?  I started playing around but couldn't come with any, although it still needs those 2 entrances on top and bottom, and a way to switch sides in the middle, I just can't come up with a way to make it look good, and be effective for newbies and pros :P.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2009, 05:45:19 AM »
Hmm, isn't it that path in my 3rd image? But i'll take a look at the map again, i'm lazy today so not going to fix my maps, maybe :D

I took a look at the map and back door again. I couldn't really come up with anything, this far. Are you going to remake the whole back door are or just the routes?

Also took pics of things you might want to change.

1./2. I hate when the edges are sharp and blocky. Maybe clip them to be a bit rounder, looks more neat.
3. Move boxes and barrels which are on top or next to each other so, that they don't line up perfectly. If they line up, they look like a solid block.
4. IMO these ramps are horrible. I'm sure you could think something better. I think, you should use same design as on the base thing. I can make you an example if you want.