Author Topic: Shaming Cheats and Bullies  (Read 3911 times)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Shaming Cheats and Bullies
« on: November 13, 2005, 10:04:50 AM »
How about shaming cheats, bullies etc?

These are pretty heavy demands to be resting on the shoulders of the only developer of a game with a community of this size.
Little do you know jitspoe has implemented initial zbot counter-measures, probably the best speed cheating protection found in any quake2 game/mod and likely a couple small hack protections against things I'm not even aware of, as well as the swear filter which were all initiatives he took upon himself(just going back to what you were saying about bullying).

Providing even a moderate level of cheat protection to this game would require more development than the actual game itself.  There are also quite a bit of implications surrounding the fact that the game is released under the GPL license.  If you look at Q2 cheat protection clients such as Q2ACE and NoCheat you can see that these forms of cheat protections were in a very gray area in terms of abiding by GPL regulations and their protection mechanisms were more or less easily circumvented by skilled hackers (not the wall variant; the kind that can actually program and reverse engineer algorithms in assembly after circumventing the binary protection or anti-disassembling measures taken to protect the external cheat protection .dll from them).

In addition to this, even if such cheat protection was created, it would typically require a centralized server capable of performing updates to clients and servers as new cheats have been leaked to the public.  These things cost money, and I don't think that the community can provide enough donations to support the burden of on-going operational fees.  The community led cheat protection projects of other games much like Cheating-Death consist of groups of numerous developers equally if not more skilled than jitspoe and divisions of intelligence teams that are obtaining private cheats as they become 0day.  Commercial cheat protection alternatives such as PunkBuster also work in the same matter, but I can only imagine how expensive their services would be,  once again too expensive for this community.

The responsability of shaming these people typically falls in the domain of server admins and the community.
The ability to record demos of players is something that everyone has access to.  The ability to ban players is something every server admin can do.  There are plenty of people on the forum that appear to be wallhack critique experts when it comes to demos.  So why don't you start calling out the people who can't be bothered to record demos of players but instead whine and complain in server chat, then make there way to the forums and do the same.  Or how about the server admins that refuse to ban any of the players:
A) who have admitted to recent cheating
B) who have solid evidence of cheating against them
C) who constantly bully, hassle and disturb public servers in a vulgar immature way

Blitz and I took on all of these responsabilities ourself when we ran the public eR33t servers and never once had it become so time consuming to make it not worth doing.  The cheats haven't changed since much, the wallhacks used then are still used today, the only difference is a group of server admins who aren't taking the initiative upon themselves to keep their server clean, and it's very unfortunate that legit players have to be constantly subjected to the type of play that goes on in the public game community.  The solution is not giving more people op-login to the server(that'll just contribute the map-change fury).

Please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate forum as you see fit.

P.S. loial21 this is not a personal attack, please don't respond with your apologies, flames or anything irrelevant to this post.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 10:53:51 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:53:12 AM by P!nk »

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 01:49:21 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:08:25 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Shaming Cheats and Bullies
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 03:38:50 PM »
I think a global ban list might be in order now.  In the meantime, I'll try to maintain a list of confirmed banable offenses here: http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=1276.0

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 04:09:02 PM »
The only cheap/easy way justice can ever be done to this notion is through some mechanism that automatically takes screenshots of someones HUD and sends them to either server admins or jitspoe.

Beyond that we have to rely on the server admins to finish the job by banning the culprit. That it seems, will be the most difficult thing to establish.

Would be better to send to jitspoe. I really dont think server admins care, or many more people would be banned at this point.

T0M|vendetta

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 05:32:51 PM »
Well, one thing jitspoe that should be taken into consideration, is that on the gt servers, every time the server is reset, they lose the ban list. Though dont fix this until im on good terms with all the gt admins please :)

CainAssassin

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 08:22:35 PM »
rofl what did you do?

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 01:15:08 AM »
The only cheap/easy way justice can ever be done to this notion is through some mechanism that automatically takes screenshots of someones HUD and sends them to either server admins or jitspoe.

Beyond that we have to rely on the server admins to finish the job by banning the culprit. That it seems, will be the most difficult thing to establish.

Would be better to send to jitspoe. I really dont think server admins care, or many more people would be banned at this point.
true, but how to prove a reason for a ban?

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 08:32:38 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:53:03 AM by P!nk »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 07:16:09 PM »
Bain, well put.

C) who constantly bully, hassle and disturb public servers in a vulgar immature way

I can control this on my server.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 01:29:56 AM by loial21 »

DianA

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 11:43:16 AM »
so, is it possible, that Paintball doesn't start when there is a "penix.exe" in the paintball folder? Its a wallhack who is working:

"Error: Paintball found hax on your computer!"

PS: theres no way to change the "penix" name,

the wallhack wont work

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 12:21:15 PM »
diana: smokey/[-NWA-]DJ-Yella found a way to get by that. He has a .exe called "WinJect.exe" that lets you select a process (i.e paintball2.exe) , after you select the process, you then find a .dll (the penix .dll), you then press "InJect", and bam, you have penix loaded.

Smokey/Dj-Yella made the mistake of giving it to his friend (C()CKER/D@WN) who will openly distribute them. Jitspoe, if you want them msg me on irc (same name) and i'll post them, maybe it'll help with countering them?

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 12:42:52 PM »
Darktemplar/DianA.... sad, just sad... you are the first person I know to openly commit using hacks... not that you could beat me WITH them, but yet... I hope jitspoe will be able to counter this now-known hack quickly. Jitspoe, please add him to the banlist. 

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 01:15:16 PM »
I've kind of given up on the idea of relying on server admins to add bans to their server.  Pinobot was the first on the list, and he's still out there cheating on a regular basis.  I'm going to figure out some way to implement a global ban list.  Once it's implemented and all the servers update, anybody caught cheating will effectively be banned from the entire game.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 06:30:38 PM »
ty

pinobot

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 06:10:55 AM »
so, is it possible, that Paintball doesn't start when there is a "penix.exe" in the paintball folder? Its a wallhack who is working:
"Error: Paintball found hax on your computer!"
PS: theres no way to change the "penix" name,
the wallhack wont work
Better "gl_clear 0" every 3 seconds or so, that would make wallhacking more of a challenge. :P

Yes i've wallhacked but now i only use it to cam people, it's just too obvious.
Tried Ratbot too but it sucked, can't believe people actually used it, more advanced aimbots are out there but it's impossible to say how many.
A global ban won't help much, you just ask your ISP for new IP-adres. As a matter of fact, i have a dynamic IP-adres. When i unplug my modem i get another IP-adres.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 07:55:02 AM »
A global ban will help.
Sure you can have your ISP release your IP, but it would become a cat and mouse game...this has all happened before in other apps.
Plus....your ISP leases a set of IPs. All they have to do is ban the whole set. Chances of someone else that plays paintball being in that set are pretty low.

You can fight the system, or you can play and have fun...which is it going to be?
Two things are going to happen if you choose to fight the system:
1) You will lose.
2) You will make an even bigger fool of yourself.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 02:24:45 PM »
uhh yeah tom... lmfao!

i do know cocker used to hack but i told him that if he ever wanted to be something in the game he kinda should quit it.

as for me having "WinJect.exe"  no i do know its the hack bsod made and i do know that instead of downloading it and using it i instead refrenced jitspoe to the site that bsod posted.

also as for me EVER using penix i do have it to watch demos of clipz but my effing grx card is "fried" so all i see it a bright white.

thanks a gg tom.

oh BTW tommy i do belive merl caught you hacking or is this lies?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 04:02:37 PM »
Demo of Orbitz hacking