Author Topic: DP Paintball 2 on Mac  (Read 17992 times)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
Re: DP Paintball 2 on Mac
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 02:41:48 AM »
woohoo old thread!

Paintball needs to go to mac! It will be more stable as well, and I can't think of ANYONE who has a mac that wants to install windows on it - everything's much more compatible now. You have (a much better) MS office for mac, and I can't think of 1 advantage that windows has over mac for paintball - most of them even have a dedicated graphics card.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 04:00:12 PM »
My PC has 2 dedicated graphics cards...Also the Macs in our recording studio crash because they can't handle software that was designed for them :-\ Hows that for stable?

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 04:29:56 PM »
PC V. Mac I don't care who like witch one better, all I want if to have a compatible game engine for mac's so i can play the game without having to get on a PC.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 03:27:46 AM »
My PC has 2 dedicated graphics cards...Also the Macs in our recording studio crash because they can't handle software that was designed for them :-\ Hows that for stable?
Yes, but thats because they're underpowered. Care to elabourate on their specs, for instance? And what software they're running?

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 07:40:15 AM »
I don't know their specs because I don't get to mess around with them.  They are the full tower designs and are very powerful.  But Pro tools recording software crashes them.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 08:21:41 AM »
hmmm, well i know that they can crash, but mac pros have been around for a very long time. if they were to run the latest protools, you would need really good specs to run it properly with no latency issues. Probably better specs than the latest (and best) macbook pro's.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 07:14:56 AM »
If we were to have a game engine compatible with Mac's how long would it take to transfer the coding from PC to Mac?

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 05:59:52 AM »
Jitspoe, how long would it take for you to get a build compatible for macs?

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 06:06:45 AM »
a) When a very talented Mac developer finds this project and dedicates his next few months to porting it.

or

b) When someone buys jitspoe a Macbook Pro, and convinces enough people to feature-vote the Mac port to the top of the list.

So probably months, if not years.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 09:03:38 AM »
I think if paintball was compatible with mac's that you would find more people playing. some people i know have mac's.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 01:52:28 PM »
I think if paintball was compatible with mac's that you would find more people playing. some people i know have mac's.

Pretend we had a mac client all along for DP, what percentage of players do you think would be using it?

1-2% sounds like a really small number, but even them I'm probably over-estimating it. You might get a few hundred/thousand installs on the first day from all the mac fanboys excited that another free game has been ported to their platform, but after 10 minutes on a public server they'll probably never come back.

A website re-launch or a "real" release would probably attract more new players and would require a lot less effort.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 12:42:50 PM »
What’s wrong with having digital paintball compatible with Macs? Do you hate Macs that much that you are not willing to accept that no everyone has a PC or a Linux computer that the world is acutely is round and people have Mac computers? You guys have not even experimented with a Mac build to see even how many people would play using a Mac. So before you even start saying what percent of people would play and for how long try a test build with Macs.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »
What’s wrong with having digital paintball compatible with Macs? Do you hate Macs that much that you are not willing to accept that no everyone has a PC or a Linux computer that the world is acutely is round and people have Mac computers? You guys have not even experimented with a Mac build to see even how many people would play using a Mac. So before you even start saying what percent of people would play and for how long try a test build with Macs.

This is all going back to the fact that even if you were to do that for some reason (XB makes a very valid point), jitspoe would still need a mac in order to port paintball over, and he's not planning on buying one soon. Or you go and find a mac enthusiast who can program and ask them to port dp.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 01:45:41 PM »
I was writing an even longer post but hit the back key on my keyboard and lost everything... yay.

Not hating on Macs.. both my brothers use them everyday (macbook and iMac) unless they want to play one of their games or run some .exe.. then they go sit at the PC desktop.

It would take a very motivated developer months to get DP to even compile on OS X. And if they're not jitspoe, they can't even play the game because they would need the closed-source gamex86.dll code that only jitspoe has.

Glad you mentioned Linux, that client barely works (and for some it just plain won't) and jitspoe doesn't spend any time on it unless the same bug is in the dedicated server.

I watched some really smart developers work on porting early releases of warsow to Mac. There were lots of sound problems, lots of mouse input problems, timing was off with the win/linux servers so you chopped all over the place and had a ton of prediction errors, textures randomly not working, maps not loading... and that was based off the Linux client code that was pretty solid. I don't know much about their 0.5 Mac client, except there aren't as many complaints so someone must have worked extremely hard in the last 2 yrs to fix most those problems.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
In short, there is way too much work to be done for the low number of potentially new players using Macs than it's worth.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 03:23:13 AM »
I was writing an even longer post but hit the back key on my keyboard and lost everything... yay.

Not hating on Macs.. both my brothers use them everyday (macbook and iMac) unless they want to play one of their games or run some .exe.. then they go sit at the PC desktop.

It would take a very motivated developer months to get DP to even compile on OS X. And if they're not jitspoe, they can't even play the game because they would need the closed-source gamex86.dll code that only jitspoe has.

Glad you mentioned Linux, that client barely works (and for some it just plain won't) and jitspoe doesn't spend any time on it unless the same bug is in the dedicated server.

I watched some really smart developers work on porting early releases of warsow to Mac. There were lots of sound problems, lots of mouse input problems, timing was off with the win/linux servers so you chopped all over the place and had a ton of prediction errors, textures randomly not working, maps not loading... and that was based off the Linux client code that was pretty solid. I don't know much about their 0.5 Mac client, except there aren't as many complaints so someone must have worked extremely hard in the last 2 yrs to fix most those problems.

Thank you for a finally detailed long answer that I can understand! I can see it's not worth it now :/

THE-MAN

• PGP
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 04:17:25 AM »
You can just install a program called "CrossOver"
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 10:03:07 AM »
not working vary well. i can get the game to open but cant get into any server nor can i start any.

pikmin1318

• PGP
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 10:28:38 PM »
I got it to work on my mac!!!!! btw... it's FREE!!!!! :D

Makowiec

• VM-68
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 12:40:56 AM »
Listen, kid.
1. It's impossible
2. It's old topic -.-