_
« on: March 30, 2008, 12:43:45 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:58:19 AM by P!nk »

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Online version of BSP?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:49:41 AM »
A webapp is doable with a bitmap because there's just an image to keep track of- with BSP you'd need to be able to quickly keep up with (potentially) hundreds of brushes. While the idea is nice, I think the 'teaching' aspect of it could be accomplished with a few videos.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 01:19:06 AM »
It's really feasible, I was thinking it would be nice to have a simple 2D editor (all the windows minus the 3D preview) for machines that don't have/can't run BSP for people who just want to sketch an idea.  I'm not sure what the best implementation would be... the four letter word I'm thinking off would probably get me kicked from this board...

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 02:26:09 AM »
hahaha does it begin with a J? if so i'll give it a shhhhhhot!

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:32:55 AM »
-Linux people

Well, Zorchenhimer has been given the BSP source, and he's learning the language it's written in, with the eventual hope to make a linux port :D

If it will happen, it won't happen any time soon, but it was part of the project of www.splattix.org

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:34:47 AM »
meh, if you're on holiday, then just wait to get back or say something on the forums. It's not as though you NEED to edit your map all the time, is it?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 05:55:55 AM »
Problems: Compiling. Then again, if sk89q and Eiii ever get that distributed compiling system they were talking about to work, then that would be solved :-)

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 07:44:39 AM »
ViciouZ, your link doesn't work for me.

I like this idea.  How exactly will this be done?  Will you need the BSP source to be able to put it online?

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 12:29:05 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:58:16 AM by P!nk »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 02:23:42 PM »
Not to be mean, but that sounds like a really bad idea to me.  I hate doing stuff in web browsers.  I typically even write forum posts outside of the browser window then copy/paste them in because they're so prone to accidents/errors that can cause you to lose all of your data.

Just imagine...
"Awesome, I've almost completed my masterpiece.  All I have to do is ... OH @^$#! I HIT THE BACK BUTTON!"

Another thing I'm prone to do is hit ctrl+w, since v and w are next to each other in Dvorak.  Then there's the browser instability issues, massive overhead, etc.  If your computer can't run bsp... well, you probably can't run paintball2 to begin with, but that aside, there's no way a web equivalent would run.  Firefox (or whatever browser you use) would probably be using like 1 gig of memory and run like a dog.

Sirois

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »
Well, forget this thing...
You need to compile the edited map, but you would need to write that program with Ajax, which is just some kind of JS... Which has no connection to
real computer applications like the the compilers for BSP, you could do a mapping program that looks really nice, but you are not able to run the batch-routins for
compiling it... sorry...

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 01:26:39 PM »
Problems: Compiling. Then again, if sk89q and Eiii ever get that distributed compiling system they were talking about to work, then that would be solved :-)

:D :D :D :D :D
* ViciouZ prods sk89q so that he bumps into Eiii

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »
I wasn't able to get C# sockets to play nice with sk89q's PHP. :< Anyway, it's not a very productive/useful idea. Nothing wrong with compiling something yourself.

Also, if I do make it, I'd like to have it be in something other than C# so that it can run on multiple platforms.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »
It's entirely possible with that four letter word... 3D and all... and as fast as C/C++ or even faster (well, I'm not sure about the 3D). Compiling is also doable if it is rewritten in Java (although a (self-)signed certificate is needed to save the file). But, as some have discussed, there really isn't the demand. In addition, this isn't some one-day job, and I don't think anyone here would want to do it, especially if very few people will even use it.

@Sirois: Wrong four letter word!

I can do the distributed compiler myself with just PHP, but I don't see a demand for that, so I haven't bothered.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 01:50:52 PM »
I don't understand why you'd want to download the application every time you used it and have it confined to a web browser window.  Not to mention deal with the overhead of that four letter word (on top of the browser).