Author Topic: Photography...  (Read 150711 times)

eradicator

• Autococker
Re: Photography...
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2008, 12:13:16 PM »
looks real good. love the colors. very nice.

here are some from my trip to corpus this weekend.

I was in Corpus Christi two summers ago. I went on the USS Lexington and it was awesome!

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »
i wish i had gone earlier. by the time i got there, the tour was closed. :'(

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2008, 01:55:56 PM »
my photo class ends next week, so I should have some final shots up sometime afterwards.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »
coo coo.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »
Here's some light paintings that I'll be printing 30x20 :)    (except for the lightning one, that was just for fun :P) and they were all fun to do. I have a bunch more, but I get bored uploading and stuff....

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2008, 04:58:53 AM »
Light painting is fun.  Even  better with the advent of digital photography.

light painting on tin type sucked ;D

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2008, 10:33:33 AM »
haha i love that excrement. i've done a couple of those before. long exposure ftw!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »
There was some photographer that did amazing light painting.  I wish I could remember who it was now.  He would light paint models in a studio setting and the results were just surreal.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »
well, i ended up trading my old car for this new one.

i kept my wheels, and a few other little things.

tell me what you think.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »
Hey all,

some nice shots so far, I particularly love S8n's latest! Looks like it was a pretty neat event, and lots to photograph.

So, do any of you use film cameras anymore? Thats where my interest lies, personally. It's bloody expensive to run all my vintage cameras, but I'm just in love with the whole look and feel of film and older cameras. There's something romantic about old photographs, in my opinion, the magic just isn't there for me clicking through jpeg's. Of course, you miss out on the ease of post processing the images and sharing them with lots of people (I really should buy a decent scanner...).

My current collection consists of:

- a Lubitel 166B - an old russian medium format (120) Twin-Lens-Reflex camera, my first vintage camera.
 - a Holga - the lomography classic. I haven't actually had anything that i've put through this developed yet, it's waiting in envelope as we speak. For the most part, its just a plastic piece of junk that costs me 15 quid for 12 exposures. Maybe my opinion will change when I get the prints back...
 - a 1988 Polaroid Supercolor 635CL, which is probably one of my favourite possessions. Sadly, poloroid have decided to stop production of the film, so I've had to stock up, and its not cheap (£1 an exposure, 10 exp in a pack).
 - a 110-format Kodak Instamatic copy by Hanimex. Even though 110 film is crap (the negatives are so small that the prints are usually rubbish), I've leafed through enough of my folks old pictures to know that it definately has the retro appeal (for me).
 - A Mamiya/Sekor 500TL 35mm SLR. This is my mainstay, as its comparitively cheap to run and has the most comprehensive features. The M42 Pentax mount means I can still find lenses and accessories for it on ebay or the oxfam shop. You young'uns with your Macro buttons don't know you're born! Wait till you've experienced the joys of extension tubes and doublers.

The 500TL and 166B are older than me, and the polaroid has 2 years on me, and they are all in great condition - a testament to the quality of cameras from the days of yore. Having said that, my Sony DSC-W100 digicompact is the only thing that makes the 166B usable (I use it as a lightmeter and as a guide for the exposure settings for the TLR).

I've got a load of rolls waiting to be sent off to the lab; when they're back I'll see about scanning them in and posting them up here.

- Dr Rick Dagless M.D

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2008, 06:42:48 AM »
Doc,

Both myself and my father ( before he died) purchased Minolta Maxxum 7000's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_Maxxum_7000

These were absolutely state of the art back in the mid 80's.

My father focus mainly on black and white photography where as I focused mainly on Kodachrome.

Now, I love digital photography, but there is nothing like actual film prints.  I guess now its like comparing solid state audio amps with tube type amps.

I've always wanted a 500 series Hasselblad, but now they've got digital as well.  Since I don't have a darkroom or access to a dark room any more, I guess that's limited my desire to get back in to film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasselblad

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2008, 06:55:39 AM »
Took a bunch of recital pictures last week.
I usually keep all dance pictures private, but I love these two and wanted to share with you guys...

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2008, 09:18:18 AM »
i like the first one alot. good stuff man.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2008, 08:20:42 PM »

I've always wanted a 500 series Hasselblad, but now they've got digital as well.

Ahh yeah, a lecturer at my Uni was selling a pair of Hasselblad 500's and all his kit (apparently he was a part-time wedding photographer) but he was asking for a little more than I can really justify spending. They seem like fascinating camera's though, I'd still like to get my hands on one eventually. I've never used a film SLR that wasn't a focal plane shutter though, I'd be interested to see how the in-lens shutter works on the 500's.

That Minolta looks awesome, I had almost forgotten about autofocus since I've been binging on my 135mm telephoto lens. I wonder if dramatic depth of field shots ever get old? It's great to see camera's that old with features most of us take for granted with modern digicams. It's part of the reason I like the 500TL so much, having an in-viewfinder lightmeter on a camera from 1966.

Also, im not expecting anyone will have, but does anyone have any experience with Super8 reel film cameras and projectors? Especially using the modern Ektachrome 64T.

- Dag

P.S neat photo's S8n!

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2008, 09:23:55 PM »
Also, im not expecting anyone will have, but does anyone have any experience with Super8 reel film cameras and projectors? Especially using the modern Ektachrome 64T.
My first experience with Super 8 was a stop frame animation with my army guys that my father and I did together when I was about 6 years old.  I actually still have a Super 8 projector, camera ( somewhere) and a Super 8 editor with viewer.

on edit
The thing that really impressed me with the 500 series (medium format films) over standard 35mm was the incredible detail in the negatives.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »
Stop frame? that sounds really fun, I'm a bit gutted my cam doesn't have single frame shots now. I've picked up an old Canon AF310XL (a pretty basic super8 cam, but has pretty tidy autofocus and is in good shape) but due to the way its been made it doesn't recognise the ASA indicator notches on new Ektachrome 64T cartridges. It thinks its ASA-40 (instead of 64) so I've had to get a neutral density 0.4 filter for it (2/3 stops down).

I have no idea how it's going to turn out, and its about £28 for the film, process paid and postage. All for 3mins 20 seconds of video!

I'm curious if anyone has tried to digitise any super 8 (or any reel-film) short of paying for Telecine services? I.e. setting up a digicamcorder and a projector, and recording off that.

- Dag

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2008, 05:02:19 PM »
I have not but I need to get some super8 converted as well as some 3/4" and 1" video tape converted to dvd.
The guys that did the video for my wedding pulled out all of the stops:
Hitachi 3 tube fp21 camera
Sony 1" open reel and 3/4" cassette
* KnacK hopes all of this stuff is still good.......

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2008, 12:33:29 PM »
Here's a couple of B&W shots I took with the 166B when I very first started with medium format and vintage photography. To say this was my first go at it with nothing else but holiday snaps before it I think they turned out pretty well.

The city where I live is undergoing a lot of urban regeneration at the moment, this was just one of many cranes in the city centre. I took this one because I thought an industrial image would go nice with my first reel taken with an old soviet camera. You can notice at the bottom that this frame is slightly double exposed, as I hadn't quite mastered the art of "winding your film on enough":

Some steps near an underpass:

The cafe in one of my old Uni buildings:

The roof of the city's Winter Gardens (its quite a novel structure, and good for photography):

Some graffiti by a local artist, Kid Acne:

hope you like these anyway,

Dag

Edit: Swapped in the contrast compensated versions and added the Kid Acne photo.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 07:12:23 PM by DrRickDaglessMD »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2008, 01:42:41 PM »
What filter are you using, if any?  There seems to be some contrast missing in some of those shots.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2008, 06:52:10 PM »
No filter, the low contrast is from the pretty rough scans I had to make do with from the knackered uni scanner. There are corrected versions, but only the raw original scans are on my flickr. You can see a fair bit of muck on them too as sadly general access equipment at the uni gets somewhat mistreated. I've updated the original post now!

To this end, can anyone recommend a decent scanner? preferably one with 35mm and 120 medium format scanning options (though most I've seen only accept 35mm).

- Dag
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 07:13:58 PM by DrRickDaglessMD »