Author Topic: The Gateway - Spook  (Read 15977 times)

Spook

• Autococker
The Gateway - Spook
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:31:40 PM »
It's a small 2v2 or 3v3 at most map.
Supports CTF
All spawns include: Spyder, steel barrel, 200 hopper w/ 200 paint, one loaded CO2 and one unloaded.
1 Carbine in mid.

Screenshots:

At most there are only minor errors that I overlooked when I ran through. So if you find something wrong, please post a screenshot or describe it.

Download:
http://loluploads.com/159063

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
Re: The Gateway - Spook
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:53:51 PM »
like the map here are two things i found

scrnsht1: there is a small space between the roof and the wall
scrnsht2: misaligned brush
both on the red side

and in many places i can hit my head on the sky (in both bases, and the bridge and the balconies on each side)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 05:47:28 AM »
Makes me think of dustbowl in TFC

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 09:37:31 AM »
Is dustbowl a fun map? :P

I fixed the misalignments, and just so you know, the sky is supposed to be low, same with the archways, so you just can't fly through the whole map.

DaVo

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »
love that texture:) nice

vojtaso

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »
Good job spook! Where can i download this textures?
PS: If you put sky up, there will be lot of jumps. And sorry for my english guys :D

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »

Misaligned brush

Misaligned Brush

Metal looks kinda funny when everything else is rocky/sand textures and marble

ALSO: i have to agree that the low ceilings are not good. i mean its nice to see that you dont want people flying through the map, but some places it just doest fit.. take the base for example... stand on the platform where the flag is and you just hit your head. :-\

i like the map tho :)

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »
Maybe a raise in 32 units, but JUST the sky. That way the archways will still keep a nice pace going. Also, that misaligned archway brush, I found that and fixed that already :D

I will take a look at a more detailed escape for the water, I have a pretty good idea on how to do that, and I have space to do it behind that wall.

vojtaso, they are the ctp1 textures, you can find them here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=7836.0

As you can see, i barred it off, and the walls go back a bit more. That was above the grating is on an angle to give it a bit more visual appeal, It does look better, thanks for the reminder to do that.

I also raised the sky so you can move a bit more freely on the higher levels now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 01:13:50 PM by Spook »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »
Very gorgeous Spook.
But I have to take credit for giving you the name! Could have something better, but it works.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »
looks much better :)

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 08:20:55 PM »
You guys see any more problems, or is beta 2 ready to be released?

Thanks for the name, termi =] you know it was named aaaaaa.bsp before

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 08:31:27 PM »
but JUST the sky.

by all means just the sky. the arch ways are great but i don't know about you but i have never in my life hit my head on the sky.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 08:55:41 PM »
Ok, well then I guess I'll just toss out the beta2, have a look around, and ss or describe any problems with it. =]

http://loluploads.com/333819 

Also, name them all, the compile time on this map is 47 seconds so it's no hassle doing many betas to get it right.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 10:55:15 AM »
47 seconds :o

slight misalignment

im guessing you dont want people to e able to walk on those.. cos you couldnt before. so you might wanna add a clip brush of something so you cant get on

i like the new water grate thing :)

i think one path is alot quicker than the others? from base go right across bridge where carbine is, then into other base..

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »
I'll take a look at the path tonight and figure out a way to make it slower.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 06:59:19 PM »
Spook,

The map looks good, I'll give you more feedback when I play it on the beta server.

That particular texture looks best in my humble opinion, in a gritty and less lit map (see screenshots), also I attached an idea for the canal, I think it would look good if you took a stock metal texture and made a foot bridge and barrier to stop the sand from being swept away/add contrast.

Cheers

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 07:54:47 PM »
Well, here we are with beta 3, all the misalignments are fixed, but I tested the paths out, and they're all about the same time. The bridge path through mid is the same as the bottom path, because up top you have smaller archways you need to squeeze through.

Anyways, I definitely used y00tz's idea, and I must say, it accents the canal a lot more, and it looks 10x better.

Also, I did some more marble on the rails, so if there aren't any more problems, I would love to get this on the beta server for some play testing.

Download: http://loluploads.com/296227

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 06:53:59 AM »
for some reason, it looks like a CSS map.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 02:02:59 PM »
Probably because of the arches and sand/rock textures. That's very common in CS, look at de_dust, destert_atrocity, awp_india, just to name a few.

You like it overall though, coLa?

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 02:20:54 PM »
well just to let you know, it is still possible to hit your head on the sky. when you stand on the little pillar things around the flag, when you double jump off the stairs to the flag, and when you double jump off the railings on the balconies and the bridge (but you have to try to hit you head for the latter two)