Poll

dont u hate it when u get killed when u just spawned?

yes
22 (62.9%)
no
13 (37.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: player spawn protection  (Read 12157 times)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: player spawn protection
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »
yah, i think i'd prefer the other anti-spawn-camping mechanism jits had talked about before.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 05:19:09 PM »
I think the argument for this feature was presented rather poorly and thus generated a lot of negative feedback.  The idea itself probably isn't a bad one.  There are plenty of situations where spawn killing takes away from the enjoyment of the game that don't involve speed servers.  There have been several requests for spawn protection in the past and none of them have gotten such negative and almost hostile responses.

Take a server with flagcapendsround disabled (I hate these servers, personally).  Say all the competent players on your team get eliminated and the only guy left is some new player camping in a corner where nobody goes.  Meanwhile, the enemy team gathers in your base and does flag run after flag run.  20 points later, you're about to respawn and... die immediately because there are 5 guys in your base with autos waiting.

http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10132

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 06:21:44 PM »
lol, knack was quick off his feet :P

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
ok...but i just talking about when u have a camper spawn killing just to get killes not the flag......

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 06:46:52 PM »
Total:     4 voters
Positive votes:    2 votes
Negative votes:    2 votes
Positive rating:    +2 (50%) [w/ +0 bounty]
Negative rating:    −2 (50%) [w/ −0 bounty]
Rating:    +0

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 10:03:16 AM »
ok...but i just talking about when u have a camper spawn killing just to get killes not the flag......
Oh my word, LEARN TO READ! He's backing you up with an example! (and a darn decent one at that). RE-READ JIT'S POST!!

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 04:20:30 AM »
I've been playing on quite some speed servers lately. People still tend to camp in the enemy base and kill anything that spawns. This annoys even more on maps where there's just one spawning spot, such as wobluda, tatras, etc.

I personally think a 2-3 second invulnerability would help preventing spawnkilling from being attractive. With my little knowledge of coding I also don't expect this to be a very hard feature to be developed for an experienced gaming coder.

Why does this feature vote have so many negative votes? Would this change if the "spawn protection" could be enabled and disabled?

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 04:42:11 AM »
My current idea is this:

-If you are killed before 1.2 seconds have passed, your killer won't get a point.
-Spawnkills play a short negative sound for the killer instead of the normal death sounds.

and if that's not enough:

-If you are killed before 0.2 seconds have passed, your death won't count as a death.

and if THAT's not enough:

-If you are spawnkilled, spawning time is halved.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 07:01:48 AM »
If a map has only 1 player spawn for each team or player spawns in one line, it's just stupid mapped. For me it's more a map problem then. However, for our speed server we create an .ent file for each map to avoid problems like this or problems that there's not enough equipment for all players.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 08:02:15 AM »
If a map has only 1 player spawn for each team or player spawns in one line, it's just stupid mapped. For me it's more a map problem then. However, for our speed server we create an .ent file for each map to avoid problems like this or problems that there's not enough equipment for all players.

I agree with you as for the mapping part. Still I think it's easier to develop a spawn protection than 1) update all existing maps or 2) make sure every admin has the entire set of .ent files available and activated.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
Of course, it shouldn't be an argument against a spawn protection :)
I like the idea for public or speed servers, but it might be problems in matches, where waiting for spawn etc. is a tactical medium. Maybe it's possible to split these kinds of server with this: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10215

Ent files are just a temporary possible solution for speed server admins, where spawnkilling is most successful because of the high count of spawning players.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »
joonas, this still doesn't solve the problem of spawning... if you get your spawn time halved, that's just less time you have to wait before you get spawned again. Also, it's a pub, no one cares about their score. There is no solution I see worth using in your post. I'm sorry.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
Maybe it's possible to split these kinds of server with this: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10215

An option to turn it on or off would be better (+required for that feature).

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
I personally think a 2-3 second invulnerability would help preventing spawnkilling from being attractive.
It would also make defending flags near to spawn easier.

i have following idea:
1.When player spawn, he have no shield
2.If player dies 1sec after respawn or shield end, it get first time 50ms shield, every next death will double shield time (so 100,200,400ms).
3.If he doesn't die for 1sec after shield end, his bonus shield is disabled.

This would work great for speed servers. With respawn time decreasing should work also on pubs. And it won't make flags near spawns much harder to cap, will just make spawning harder with every wave.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
It would also make defending flags near to spawn easier.

I don't get your point, sorry. How would a 2 or 3 seconds invulnerability after spawning make it easier to defend a flag? I intended the "shield" as you call to disappear after these first few moments.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
I don't get your point, sorry. How would a 2 or 3 seconds invulnerability after spawning make it easier to defend a flag? I intended the "shield" as you call to disappear after these first few moments.
Well, for example on wobluda, when i grab flag on some speed server, usually i have to line spawn just to prevent spawning people from killing me. If i wouldn't be able to do so, any newbie will be able to kill me easily.. So i think it is making easier to defend flags that are near to spawn.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
An option to turn it on or off would be better (+required for that feature).

I need to tweak this. We need only a server side option that allows the serveradmin to set a spawn protection time.
Example:
sv_spawnprotection 0 --> 0 seconds (spawn protection off)
sv_spawnprotection 1 --> 1 second spawn protection
sv_spawnprotection 2 --> 2 seconds spawn protection
sv_spawnprotection 3 --> 3 seconds spawn protection

Everything else is too complicated. If we have this, a second step could be to make it visible to other players.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »
I don't get any point that makes it so that if you get spawned once, you're protected the second, third, fourth time. Why not just stop it the first time.. makes no sense, why are we giving grace to spawners?

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
I don't get any point that makes it so that if you get spawned once, you're protected the second, third, fourth time. Why not just stop it the first time.. makes no sense, why are we giving grace to spawners?
Because often when i play on speed servers i have to spawn even if i just want to take flag etc. . It's just because of map design. I have to move nearly to spawnpoint to grab flag. Often spawning is only way to grab flag because opponents are respawning too fast to let you get flag without spawnkilling.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »
I need to tweak this. We need only a server side option that allows the serveradmin to set a spawn protection time.
Example:
sv_spawnprotection 0 --> 0 seconds (spawn protection off)
sv_spawnprotection 1 --> 1 second spawn protection
sv_spawnprotection 2 --> 2 seconds spawn protection
sv_spawnprotection 3 --> 3 seconds spawn protection

I agree. Most other games have just this, and it seems to work fine.