Author Topic: Clipping trees (and other FUNC_MODEL stuff)  (Read 979 times)

Gothi[c]

Clipping trees (and other FUNC_MODEL stuff)
« on: November 23, 2005, 08:49:48 AM »
I'm making a map with a couple of trees (md2 models imported with FUNC_MODEL). Now offcourse these trees need to be clipped so you can't walk through them.

At first I thought of using regular clip brushes (which for some reason don't work for me in GTKRadiant, the brushes show up ingame with the cliptexture saying 'clip' all over it, instead of making them invisible,- yes all faces were textured with the clip texture.)
but you can shoot through clip brushes.

You can't shoot through trees (or any other solid object for that matter). Is there any sort of flag i can set to the brushes for this? (I'd rather still use the clippingbrush method rather than setting somekind of magical make_the_darn_model_solid flag because i can imagine it would lower the fps because of more complex collision checking.)

I DID search the forum (and google) before I posted this, if this was asked before, my apologies, I must have overlooked it, but before flaming me please provide the url to the correct post.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 11:15:20 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:02:57 PM by IronFist »

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Clipping trees (and other FUNC_MODEL stuff)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 06:01:49 PM »
You could do translucent for the lighting thing, if you don't want a blocky shadow. Where did you find MDL trees?

1400th post!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 12:29:17 AM by eiii »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Clipping trees (and other FUNC_MODEL stuff)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 06:28:34 PM »
Brush collision detection is much faster than the per-polygon detection that would be necessary for detecting collision with a model.  I think the best way to do this is to make your collision brushes, and apply the "clip" and "solid" flags to them, then convert them to a func_wall.  The reason the clip brushes showed up with a clip texture is because you need to actually set the clip flag -- not just the clip texture (the texture actually doesn't matter - just the flags).