Author Topic: New map: Ridgid  (Read 16850 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: New map: Dye2
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 04:10:51 AM »
You actually know how to use full stops and commas?  Maybe you should use the all of the time to help us read what you are writing.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 04:45:52 AM »
Maybe you should use "the" all of the time to help us read what you are writing.
use them all the time

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 04:53:48 AM »
1st before you start to release these garbage maps look at them and make them look nicer!
2nd don't rip peoples maps off and make them worse.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 04:58:44 AM »
i didn't make the dye2 map worse. i think it looks better than one open shard area. now each team has there own base and own house like area, and so that its not all the same i made the red diffrent than the blue in a way. so in my view i think it looks better than be for. I'm not riping the person off, when i get time i will put his name in the map because i forgot to do so be for. also the dye map was in the public domain, so there for i have full rights to do what ever i wont to it. but, by doing so i will not rip someone off.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2008, 05:42:45 AM »
use them all the time
Rofl, if you can pickup my quick typing errors maybe you should pick up on yours.  Also if its on a public domain its there to help people maybe have ideas, etc, not to change it around.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 05:49:57 AM »
Plus, having the decompiled map up on a server, which I totally disagree with, without getting the map authors permission, doesn't make it "fair game".

But that's ok.  You've already indicated that you're too lazy to worry about it and too lazy to care what others think of your work.

meh, I'm too lazy to finish this sent.......

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2008, 01:55:51 PM »
i don't use decompiled maps, they are the original maps. there not some map that someone decompiled and posted on the web.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »
Huh?  My .map files are on the web somewhere and if you took the would that be ok?  I don't think so.

P!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »
This has never really been clear to me:
The game code, is, of course, released under the GPL. With a few exceptions, since not all of it can be released for obvious reasons. But are maps copyrighted unless the mapper says they're under the GPL in the mapinfo file? Is is that way with textures and other media too?

ART-MEN

• Stingray
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »
relly good map

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 05:08:34 PM »
This has never really been clear to me:
The game code, is, of course, released under the GPL. With a few exceptions, since not all of it can be released for obvious reasons. But are maps copyrighted unless the mapper says they're under the GPL in the mapinfo file? Is is that way with textures and other media too?
The maps aren't technically part of the game.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 05:32:47 PM »
By US copyright law, all works are automatically put into copyright of the owner. Unless the creator explicitly licenses his or her material or retracts all copyright and puts it into the public domain, you have no rights to it.**

From a moral POV, the person may have released the source, but conventional courtesy dictates that you ask the creator beforehand, unless s/he provided a license with the file.

**Note: I am not positive if other countries have the same provisions. US copyright law tends to be a bit more "ahead," both in a positive and negative way. "Fair use," for example, is relatively unique to the US, I have heard.

I remember someone uploaded a map that was based off dye (though nothing like the original) to the map DB a few months ago, but I deleted it off because it was so hideously bad. I think this is that map.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 06:07:43 PM »
The rules on textures being GPL are more strictly enforced because textures get reused. A lot.

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »
You need to do three things:

1) Give credit to the original creator. Not doing this is completely ripping off that person's work. Don't be a buttmonkey.

2) Mark clearly that the original creator never gave you permission to modify their map. If someone takes your map and craps all over it, then releases it with your name on it, do you want others thinking you really let that happen?

3) Release your modified .map. What, are you afraid someone is going to take that and do the same thing you're doing? If what you're doing is fine, you should have no problem with this. That way, the original map maker can look over your modifications, marvel at your skills, and learn something.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2008, 04:42:21 AM »
i see what you are saying, but i will give creadit saying original creator.."bob" moded by..."udead. but when it all comes down to it we all could stell and mod or trash any map we have right now, because the maps are not copyrighted by law may its copyrights my your self but its not a real copyright. im not make anymore mod maps, but i will still work on dye2. do this for me, if you downloaded that dye2 map i posted in the form, delete it because the the next on will have his name in it, also if you know the guy...give me his email or like or something so i can messege him about this map.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2008, 05:22:17 AM »
How old are you? Do you not speak English? Your making me re-read your posts more and more often as time persists!

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2008, 05:30:25 AM »
Seriously, something made by a person is made Automatic Copyright UNLESS they say its free for anyone to use.  Again, If i gave you a link to my map "Evolution" that i never got around to finishing would you re-create it without my permission?  If you did I would ask why, did you ever ask me and obviously I would say NO BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T ASK AT FIRST.  This might happen here.  But I think this thread will be locked before it goes any further.

Last hints before I go mad (although i think i already did)

* Start something Original.
 * Stop working on this.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2008, 11:05:07 AM »
* Start something Original.
 * Stop working on this.

And not in that order...

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »
just because you create something doesn't automatically copyright it. if you would take this to Court, you would lose because its not a real copyright. if you think it is then show me the papers that states that this map...etc is copyrighted form date to date and i will stop, if not then shut up and stop trying to be a know it all and be all tough. this is reality, not some made up dream where your the boss and you are all ways right.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2008, 02:07:22 PM »
It may not be legally wrong but that won't stop us from coming down on you like a ton of bricks when you do it.