Author Topic: New map: Ridgid  (Read 16851 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: New map: Dye2
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2008, 02:15:33 PM »
IANAL, but unfortunately my Virginian friend,

In 1989, the U.S. enacted the Berne Convention Implementation Act, amending the 1976 Copyright Act to conform to most of the provisions of the Berne Convention. As a result, the use of copyright notices has become optional to claim copyright, because the Berne Convention makes copyright automatic.

Exclusive rights held by the owner of a work, that nobody else may use:
- to import or export the work
- to create derivative works (works that adapt the original work)
- to perform or display the work publicly

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
IANAL, but unfortunately my Virginian friend,

In 1989, the U.S. enacted the Berne Convention Implementation Act, amending the 1976 Copyright Act to conform to most of the provisions of the Berne Convention. As a result, the use of copyright notices has become optional to claim copyright, because the Berne Convention makes copyright automatic.

Exclusive rights held by the owner of a work, that nobody else may use:
- to import or export the work
- to create derivative works (works that adapt the original work)
- to perform or display the work publicly

owned

i think it looks better

exactly our point "you think"

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »
Before you go touting your worldly knowledge, I suggest you do some reading on what a copyright is.

For starters, read here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »
lol. i know what a copyright is, and for you if your so smart your would know that wikipedia is not a good sorce for info because anyone can go in and change things or post things. this thing your talking about, im not prejudice the author's honor or reputation. Title 17, United States Code, as amended by this Act, does not provide copyright protection for any work that is in the public domain in the United States.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2008, 03:02:54 PM »
I'm done talking here, i know what a copyright is and all that stuff. the map is not copyrighted and you know that. once something is in a public domain its open to everone. just go try to mess with someone else who you at lest have a chance of wining....bye and i wont be one this thread again.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »
Rofl.  Even though its on a public domain that doesn't give you rights to remake it.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2008, 03:42:52 PM »
just because you create something doesn't automatically copyright it. if you would take this to Court, you would lose because its not a real copyright. if you think it is then show me the papers that states that this map...etc is copyrighted form date to date and i will stop, if not then shut up and stop trying to be a know it all and be all tough. this is reality, not some made up dream where your the boss and you are all ways right.

More important than any legal issue is simple respect for any map maker in any game.  Regardless of giving any "credit" to a map maker, you first respectfully gain their permission which you seem unable to understand.  The creator of the Dye maps is NOT "Bob"

Your lack of etiquette and your attitude are enough for me and I stand by my first statement.  You surely won't get a map on our servers.

I agree with Cameron... It's time to lock this useless thread.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »
Didn't I make Dye32 a hundred years ago?

What's going on here?

Come on in and have a seat...wait...wrong place.

P!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2008, 04:35:05 PM »
I'm done talking here, i know what a copyright is and all that stuff. the map is not copyrighted and you know that. once something is in a public domain its open to everone. just go try to mess with someone else who you at lest have a chance of wining....bye and i wont be one this thread again.

I just thought of the perfect words to describe you: ignorant, stubborn, and delusional. Why delusional? You actually think you've won this argument, I am completely amazed. Someone said you were arrogant before, but it's definitely more than that. We basically just wasted a bunch of time, although there were some funnies, so it's ok :D

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2008, 04:48:47 PM »
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ40.html#copyright

Copyright Protection Is Automatic

Under the present copyright law, which became effective January 1, 1978, a work is automatically protected by copyright when it is created. A work is created when it is “fixed” in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. Neither registration in the Copyright Office nor publication is required for copyright protection under the present law.

17 U.S.C. § 102a

Not to mention the Berne Convention, which y00tz already did.

Addendum: Yes, you can sue actually. However, if you don't register with the US Copyright Office, you have to prove damages to win. Either way, it does not make it legal.

Nothing enters the public domain unless it is explicitly stated. Publish is NOT put into public domain, FYI.

@Cameron: If it were in the public domain, which it probably isn't, he would have full legal right to do anything with it.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2008, 06:39:57 PM »
@Cameron: If it were in the public domain, which it probably isn't, he would have full legal right to do anything with it.
So if it wasn't did he just decompile the map?

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2008, 10:42:43 PM »
So if it wasn't did he just decompile the map?

I could make a map (you all know what a great map creator I am) and post it, but that's all I've done; it's still implicitly copyrighted by me. Until I say something to the effect of "do whatever you want with this, I don't care", nobody else can really do much with it, since I've not actually put it in the public domain. It's the same reason you can't go take some random person's website logo and modify it a bit and use it as your own.

tl;dr I just repeated what sk89q said

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2008, 12:47:32 AM »
Besides the fact he stole it, another reason this map should be trashed is that its just junk. From the three seconds i played i noticed its just 3 boxes put together. But not only is it just three boxes, its three boxes with bottle necks to get to one box to the other. And then, i could be wrong, there is only two small platforms to get across the middle. Easy to line that or doors all day. And whats the point of having a map full of random walls with holes in them. Those are ugly.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2008, 12:52:36 AM »
I think i should actually download it and have a look at it, lol.  Actually i downloaded the original version but havn't seen this one.  Hmm, don't blame me if I say its horrible when I come back.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2008, 05:08:50 AM »
Wow, it is on a public domain.  Still.  Here if you want to look: ftp://www.otb-server.de/pub/Maps/map/

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2008, 05:11:09 AM »
OK, I'm back temporary. first i didn't decompile the map, heres were i got it from, "ftp://www.otb-server.de/pub/Maps/map/". also, i did not steal it.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2008, 05:12:35 AM »
That's what i just said :P.  Also there are a variety of maps there as well.  I'm starting to wonder how some really good maps got there.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2008, 05:17:39 AM »
all i did was go onto the forms and into the search and type in "map files" and i came the this thread that had a link to that map website, thats all i did. got to go, be back later

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2008, 05:19:18 AM »
I've seen that thread.  Rofl, pbcup_pforest is there.

* Cameron sees Rick in the near future looking at this closely.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2008, 10:06:01 AM »
Wow, it is on a public domain.  Still.  Here if you want to look: ftp://www.otb-server.de/pub/Maps/map/
This mapfiles are there to look at and learn with them, not to destroy them. If you want to reproduce a map, you should ask the mapper before.