Author Topic: Feature request: map fog  (Read 3932 times)

ashkenaz

• VM-68
Feature request: map fog
« on: May 06, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »
for larger maps (if you would make support for a larger map) we would need map fog, no lag, more people, you can also set an atmosphere with it, i would probably want the fog to not apply to the skybox. in other words, only things that dont have skybox checked will have fog around it.  :P

Garrett

• Autococker
Re: Feature request: map fog
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 08:55:06 AM »
There is a fog setting that can be set in BSP.  Not sure of the command.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 09:52:25 AM »
This already exists.  It doesn't reduce lag, though (in fact, there's more to render, so it will be slower).

ashkenaz

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »
ok, well then maybe renovate the code some, it was designed for multiplayer games to reduce lag

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »
Fog is merely a visual effect.  I believe you can tweak the compiler tools to hide distant objects, but making fog dense enough to cover that up would look really bad.

ashkenaz

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »
no i mean anything behind a simple fog is not rendered, like just a grey sprite. if its done, my fps either: doubles, increases a little bit, or it drops like a rock.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:25:57 PM »
A good example of what he is talking about is the 'Bridge Crossing' map in Americas Army if anyone has ever played it.  I don't have the game installed any longer or I would post a screen shot of what he is getting at.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 08:40:04 AM »
I hated that map.  I thought the 1-path maps in paintball2 were bad...

Anyway, my point is, fog by itself doesn't magically make distant things not render.  You can add fog, but it's not going to improve your framerate.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 08:41:54 AM »
Bridge Crossing was the worst map in that game.  You should find the creator when you go to work next and kick him repeatedly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 08:48:20 PM by Garrett »

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »
Anyway, my point is, fog by itself doesn't magically make distant things not render.
Then make everything that is further than the fog not rendered. It would be better than no fog.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 03:42:56 PM »
Then make everything that is further than the fog not rendered. It would be better than no fog.
Wrong the stuff past the fog isn't rendered.  If the game wouldn't render the stuff beyond the fog, the CPU usage will increase due to the fact that the game will have to constantly recalculate what needs to be rendered when moving through the fog.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 05:47:55 PM »
You'd have to rewrite qVIS (or whatever we use) to work based off of distance as well as the visibility between portals. (If that's the correct word.) It wouldn't be too tough, and I believe jits mentioned that there was actually a VIS program that worked that way at one point, but we don't have anyone to do it.