Author Topic: BEWARE!!! XP SP3!!!  (Read 20752 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: BEWARE!!! XP SP3!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 12:01:28 PM »
That is interesting.....

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 12:31:47 PM »
Heh, this topic id is "13337".

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 12:39:42 PM »
that's nota good sign.

Get y00tz to provide some sort of ex0rcism.....

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »
Try to start it through the start menu.  Start > Programs > Windows Update

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 02:03:21 PM »
Also, check the windows update service in admin tools > services.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:56:06 AM by P!nk »

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 07:20:19 PM »
Try to start it through the start menu.  Start > Programs > Windows Update
Huh?  Nope.  I actually now want to stop it from installing because my Dad shut it down and it installed SP3.  It intercoursed up.  So I had to go to a backup image, again.  Wouldn't they take it out with all of the bloody problems with it?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 09:26:39 AM »
I set it up to ask before downloading or installing, and the next time I booted, it had the little yellow shield thing so I could check what it wanted to install.  It wasn't SP3, so I let it do its thing.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 11:20:40 AM »
Huh?  Nope.  I actually now want to stop it from installing because my Dad shut it down and it installed SP3.  It intercoursed up.  So I had to go to a backup image, again.  Wouldn't they take it out with all of the bloody problems with it?

If you run that, you can uncheck things you don't want to install (basically).

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »
If you run that, you can uncheck things you don't want to install (basically).
But will it stay like that or will it check itself when teh computer is rebooted.  Because half the time my dad shuts the computer down because I like to torrent when I go to bed and he turns it off by hitting the shutdown button and i've seen heaps of updates sitting there recently.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 05:52:17 AM »
Looks like we have a fix!!

http://redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?editorialsid=9865

Ex-Microsoft Employee Takes Lead on XP SP3 Reboot Problem, Offers Free Fix

May 15, 2008 • by Becky Nagel

A former Microsoft employee appears to be coming to the rescue of those suffering from the XP SP3 endless reboot cycle that can happen on computers with AMD processors -- a problem for which Microsoft has yet to announce a solution.

As first noted by Computerworld, on Wednesday author and Microsoft MVP Jesper Johansson -- who until 2006 was a senior security strategist at Microsoft -- released a home-spun tool that automatically checks for a configuration error that may be the cause of the reboot problem.

"If you have an AMD-based computer, and all you want to do is prevent the problem before installing Service Pack 3, then try the new tool I just wrote," he stated in this blog post yesterday. "It will first check whether you have an AMD-based computer. If you do it will check whether the IntelPPM driver is set to load. If it is it will offer you an option to disable it." Johansson also offers instructions for using the tool on multiple computers simultaneously.

Johansson started blogging about the endless reboot issue last week when he encountered it, and has been sharing his troubleshooting process on his blog since then. In the absence of extended technical information on the issue from Microsoft, his extremely detailed post is quickly becoming the definitive technical source for both IT professionals and end users looking for a possible work-around.

Johansson states that the reboot issue appears to be happening on both Intel-based and AMD-based machines and can be caused by a number of factors. While the errors that start the reboot process appear to relate to XP SP3, the effect -- endless reboots -- ties back to how Windows XP itself was designed to react to crashes.

"With some configurations, SP3 causes the computer to crash during boot, and Windows XP, by default, is set up to automatically reboot when it crashes," he explained in his post. "That is why you end up in the endless rebooting scenario."

Johansson hypothesized -- and Microsoft has since echoed -- that many of the errors are being caused by OEMs installing the wrong operating system image on certain desktops.

"The problem is that HP, and possibly other OEMs, deploy the same image to Intel-based desktops that they do to AMD-based desktops," he wrote. "The image for both Intel and AMD is the same all have the intelppm.sys driver installed and running...Ordinarily, having intelppm.sys running on an AMD-based computer appears to cause no problems. However, on the first reboot after a service pack installation, it causes a big problem. The computer either fails to boot, as in my case, or crashes with a STOP error code of 0x0000007e. If you see that error code you almost certainly have this problem."

HP is blaming the upgrade itself, saying that even if an OEM doesn't install intelppm.sys, XP SP3 does.

In his post, Johansson details how to manually disable the intelppm.sys driver on AMD PCs; the tool released Wednesday automates this process. The posts also offers other solutions if the tool doesn't work, and refers readers both to Microsoft's article on uninstalling XP SP3 and Microsoft technical support (currently free for XP SP3).

See the article at the link at the top for all of the url's to the fixes.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »
Thanks a ton KnacK :)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 09:43:06 AM »
Anything for my fellow brethren.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 09:39:33 PM »
After I used the work around you linked and upgraded my HP with an AMD, I finally got an email from HP support with a link to the fix they're providing now: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-60484-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1843651&os=228&lang=en

wafflez205

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 10:02:12 PM »
i think microsoft is trying to destroy the world be realeasing poor products. the 360 wasnt so bad but it has its share of major flaws. RROD!

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 04:24:37 AM »
i think microsoft is trying to destroy the world be realeasing poor products. the 360 wasnt so bad but it has its share of major flaws. RROD!

You obviously have not read all of the articles that I have posted......

wafflez205

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »
nope. not at all

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 09:09:27 PM »
not supposed to admit it haha.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker