Author Topic: BEWARE!!! XP SP3!!!  (Read 20754 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: BEWARE!!! XP SP3!!!
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »
Still More Issues:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=698&tag=nl.e019

Another problem with Windows XP Service Pack 3 has reared its ugly head, this time causing headaches for users of Symantec products.  Unfotunately, it appears that other users are being affected as well and that the problem appears eerily similar to an issue that Microsoft had with Service Pack 2.  The two processes to watch for processor hogging on are fixccs.exe and cscript.exe.  The problem can cause Device Manager to appear blank and can also produce thousands of errant registry entries.

Symantec blames Microsoft for XP SP3 registry corruption (Infoworld)

The service pack also appears to have caused issues with Windows Home Server’s remote access feature.  Thankfully, there are some people diligently looking out for XP users, even though it appears that Microsoft is being a bit slow to correct the latest problems.  All of this is in addition to the initial reports of endless reboot loops on some AMD based machines, an issue that HP blamed on Microsoft.

Users Report More Trouble With Windows XP SP3 (PC World)

Windows XP SP3’s Aches, Pains, and User Complaints (PC World)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 still rocky, reboot loop (Slipperybrick)

I blogged the day after XPSP3 released that I had installed it without error and since then, everything seems to have gone well for the Dell Inspiron laptops that got the install.  I was able to image them with LanDesk and get them deployed, where they have been successfully used for their end purpose.  Still, it seems like Microsoft should have the resources to get these bugs tested out by the time they call their patches “final.”  Have you had issues with SP3?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 07:30:20 AM »
Well my boss brought me his personal pc this morning.  It was hanging at mup.sys in safe mode then doing the endless reboot dance.

Sure enough, he isntalled SP3 last night.

I'm in the process of removing it through the recovery console.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »
Eww.

Oh, my computer just started doing that the other day (freezing at mup.sys) after I told it to run chkdsk on reboot.  Do you think it could be related to SP3?

(I've made some progress, btw.  But I still cant boot windows normally)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »
I had to boot to an install disk, run the recovery console, then remove sp3 via the console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Good step by step.

SOme people claim thatthe mu.sys hang could be caused by hardware error.

Do this:

Reboot your pc, as soon as it hangs at mu.sys, pull all of your usb devices from the pc and see if it continues.  Some guys say that works, then they reboot again and all is fine.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 11:09:25 PM »
All I have plugged in is the power and ethernet.  I've had SP3 installed sense shortly after it was released, and this is just happening now.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2008, 03:47:53 AM »
So this excrement still isn't fixed yet?  I keep getting Windows Update asking and asking to install it.  Sadly any update I do requires SP3 so I'm not exactly happy.  Don't know why.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2008, 06:22:06 AM »
All I have plugged in is the power and ethernet.  I've had SP3 installed sense shortly after it was released, and this is just happening now.

If you try to start in safe mode, does it stop at mu.sys?

So this excrement still isn't fixed yet?  I keep getting Windows Update asking and asking to install it.  Sadly any update I do requires SP3 so I'm not exactly happy.  Don't know why.

Do you have an Intel or AMD pc, is it home brew, and where did you get your version of XP from?

Also, if installing SP3 does bomb. removing it is straight forward using the directions above.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »
It was freezing at mup.sys, until I booted off my XP CD and ran a chkdsk (what i had told it to do in the first place), then I could boot into safe mode.  I uninstalled SP3, and it booted up ok.  Some errors, mainly visual, but it worked.  Tried to reinstall it (my virus scan software requires SP3), and it runs out of disk space while downloading (via windows update).  I try to restart and it wouldn't start up normally.  Booted up into safe mode, and started a "Disk Cleanup".

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2008, 05:40:44 PM »
Intel Pentium 4, uhh, XP was an upgrade from 2000, but fresh installed.  And the computer came from some store, except for the graphics card.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2008, 06:27:15 PM »
You *should* be fine cameron. If not, its easy to back out of.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2008, 05:23:42 AM »
Don't let XP Service Pack 3 hose your system

By Scott Dunn

From the moment Microsoft released it, Service Pack 3 for Windows XP has been the subject of almost daily reports of bugs, incompatibilities, and general headaches.

You can install SP3 with confidence — providing you take certain precautions — or, if you prefer, use Windows' Automatic Update settings to keep the service pack off your system.

Multiple problems plague SP3 adopters

Windows Secrets has been reporting problems with Windows XP's Service Pack 3 almost from the instant the patch collection was first distributed. In fact, so many readers have contacted us with questions or complaints about SP3 — the last major update to Windows XP — that we've synthesized everything you need to know about this update in a single column.

Here are the most glaring SP3-related problems:

• Internet connectivity fails when using black hole routers, which drop packets (see Susan Bradley's May 1 column in our paid content and Microsoft's Knowledge Base article 314825).

• False positives are generated by Norton Internet Security and other security applications (see my May 2 Top Story).

• Device Manager settings go missing, especially in connection with using Norton Antivirus (see Susan Bradley's column in the May 29 newsletter as well as KB 953791).

• Repeated rebooting occurs on machines using an AMD processor (see Susan Bradley's May 22 column and KB 953356).

• You can't install any new updates (see KB 943144).

• Third-party visual styles encounter problems (see the Support Alert Newsletter of June 19).

Making an upgrade decision that works for you

In light of these and other problems, you may wonder whether you ever want SP3 at all, especially given that many of its enhancements focus on networking and IT-level administration. Here's the case for SP3:

Think security: In addition to new features, SP3 — like most service packs — includes numerous security updates that were available individually in the past.

Consider support: If you think you might require Microsoft's assistance to install SP3, you need to add the service pack before April 2009, when the company will end such support. And because overall support for SP2 expires in early 2010, you'll need to have SP3 installed by that date if you want general support for XP.

Be prepared: Before you install SP3, take a few precautions. First and foremost, perform a full system backup. Microsoft has digested all recommended pre-install steps in KB 950717, which also includes troubleshooting information if all does not go well.

How to remove SP3 from your Automatic Updates

If you decide you don't want SP3, Microsoft offers a tool for suppressing the automatic installation of the service pack. The Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit won't prevent you from downloading SP3 manually from the company's site, nor will it stop you from installing the patches from a CD or DVD. All it does is stop the service pack from being installed via Windows' Automatic Updates.

In addition, the Service Pack Blocker postpones the installation for only a year from SP3's release date last April.

Surf over to Microsoft's Service Pack Blocker download page and click the Download button for SPBlockerTools.exe. Click Yes to accept the license agreement and type in the path to the folder where the files will be stored (click the Browse button and navigate to the folder if you want to avoid typing).

Now open the folder containing the extracted files and double-click SPBlockingTool.exe. A command prompt window appears for a few moments and displays the statement "Action successfully completed." Unfortunately, that doesn't tell you very much. The action the message refers to is the addition of a Registry entry instructing Windows Update not to send you SP3. (The same setting on Vista blocks SP1.)

If you want to see the code that is added, do the following:

Step 1. Choose Start, Run. Type regedit and press Enter.

Step 2. In the Registry Editor, navigate in the left pane to this entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ WindowsUpdate

Step 3. With the WindowsUpdate icon selected in the left pane, look in the right pane for a key named DoNotAllowSP.

If you later decide you want Automatic Updates to offer you Service Pack 3, simply select the DoNotAllowSP key and press Delete (or click Edit, Delete).

If you're concerned about editing the Registry (which involves risks of its own), the Service Pack Blocker can also undo the block:

Step 1. Choose Start, Run. Type cmd and press Enter.

Step 2. At the command prompt, either type the path to the SPBlockingTool.exe file, or drag the file into the command prompt window and let Windows do the typing for you.

Step 3. At the end of this command, type a space followed by /U and press Enter.

Once again, you'll see the "Action successfully completed" message and Windows Automatic Update will no longer be blocked from installing the service pack on your system.

The other tool included with the download, SPreg.cmd, is a batch file useful for administrators who want to block the service pack on remote computers; this utility requires that the machine name be specified in the command line.

Even though most of SP3's problems should now be in the past, these precautions can help ensure that you aren't one of the service pack's installation victims.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2008, 08:01:23 AM »
I honestly think that sp3 was released screwed up intentionally to try to make people go ahead and do the Vista switch. They don't feel the need to keep working on it. They would rather people spend the money to switch to the greatest and latest. boo.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2008, 02:35:15 PM »
weird. i haven't had even the slightest hiccup from sp3. not on any pc i've installed it on.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2008, 03:47:39 PM »
I have the little yellow sheild icon sitting on my taskbar, and its the SP3 update, how can I make the icon go away and reject the update for good?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »
You can't. SP3 is largely harmless, it's just that there was a big deal made about it's incompatibility with certain processors or whatever it was. :P

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
So is it ok to go through with?

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2008, 03:55:26 PM »
Sadly any update I do requires SP3 so I'm not exactly happy.

actually i think if you go to http://update.microsoft.com/ and let it check for updates, then you can tell it to disregard sp3 and look for any other available updates. i could be wrong tho.

So is it ok to go through with?

i would, and then if you have problems, try one of the solutions posted here.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2008, 03:57:17 PM »
lol, so basically if it effs up I just set fire to my tower....

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2008, 05:19:25 PM »
yep, that's the idea. i've never seen that solution fail. ;D

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »
yep, that's the idea. i've never seen that solution fail. ;D
I have. I had a xps laptop from dell with vista on it. After weeks of it annoying me I took it out to the garage, hit it about a hundred times with a hatchet, threw it in a hole in the back yard, poured a half of a can f gas on it and lit it. The darned thing was sitting on my kitchen table the next morning like something from Stephen King's pet cemetery.