Author Topic: Is camping wrong?  (Read 3311 times)

pinobot

• VM-68
Is camping wrong?
« on: December 02, 2005, 09:10:29 PM »
Every time when camp i get people screaming thing like " @#$ camper".
So i find i good spot and i want to milk it for what it's worth, is that wrong somehow?

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 09:22:51 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:52:06 AM by P!nk »

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Is camping wrong?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 09:49:28 PM »
Camping is an issue in this game. It's not bad, but here's why so many people hate it:

In a 'normal' FPS (with 'health' and all that), a camper usually only gets an advantage on his opponent by getting in the first couple of hits.
In this game, the "first couple of shots" are liable to kill the person.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 12:38:09 AM »
You won't improve camping.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 10:05:49 AM »
To the new:
There may be some very tempting area that seem like a good place to sit and wait for the enemy. But often I see the new player grow roots in thier camping spot while other players grab & cap, or just mow them down.

Brewsky

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 10:40:49 AM »
this is such a tired subject. camping or whatever you want to call it, is just one of many tactics that can be used. however just as in real paintball, in this game if you are moving frequently (and smart about where you move) you are less likely to get hit.  just like real paintball people want to hold positions or be sneaky. like s8n basically said, if you dont use camping or holding certain positions in moderation, your gonna get shot da fck up. as far as people who complain about it, they either dont have the skill to overcome your "camping abilities" or they are simply having a bad day.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 12:32:45 PM »
i think camping as in staying in the same spot all match is just stupid... you are likely to lose.. but if you go and grab the flag, and so does your opponent, and you know he is liable to take a certain route back, camping in that situation may be ok

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 05:13:49 PM »
yes. camping is wrong.  The point of this game is to Capture the flag, how do you expect to do that while camping?  i mean yeah you can camp and try to win every round by eliminatingthe entire ohter team but thats a newbie way of doing it.  As DiGi said, you wont get better from campingbecause it takes no skill.  Refering to what pink said as well, caping works in games when there are multiple hits involved in killing, dp is one shot one kill.  Not to mention the people who are better at this game know ALL and i do mean ALL camping spots in EVERY map, so it wont do you any good if you're looking to suprise someone who is trying to grab and cap because they can grab and avoid you or just newb by sneaking up and pgping.  Overall i believe camping is a tool to be used simply when going up against more than 3 enemies alone, other than that its just merry.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 01:26:12 AM »
The point of the game isn't to capture the flag. The first priority is not to die, or kill your enemy.

Also, merry should be homosexual or something.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 03:06:35 AM »
Camping as a single person is not a very effective strategy, the game is just too fast... team based "camping" or whatnot can be, though...

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 02:28:05 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:06:10 AM by Dirty_Taco »

pinobot

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 02:47:45 PM »
yes. camping is wrong. The point of this game is to Capture the flag, how do you expect to do that while camping?
I think it makes a lot of sense to keep a few teammates near the flag to defend it.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 03:44:26 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:01:32 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 01:16:02 PM »
Camping and defending are two different things, in my book.  Not only do you want to get the enemy flag, but you want to prevent the enemy from getting your flag.  Camping is where someone sits out in some remote location on the map waiting for an unsuspecting player to come by, or when somebody sits in the enemy base in order to pick off players as they respawn (spawn camping).  Defending is where somebody is strategically positioning himself in order to prevent enemies from grabbing the flag.

That being said, I would advise against new players trying to defend.  More often than not, it ends up hurting the team.  If everybody is eliminated in the middle of the map except for Joe Newbie who's hiding in a corner by the flag, the other team will most likely be able to grab the flag and kill him before he has a chance to react, or worse yet, capture on him, giving the other team 5 points instead of just 1.  The best thing a new player can do is rush out and either kill or die.

The other problem with newbies defending is that they start relying on 1-path maps where they can sit in one location and an enemy must pass by them in order to get to the flag.  Then when a multi-path map comes up, they sit on one path wondering how people are capping on them and start complaining that the map sucks.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 01:33:55 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:01:28 PM by IronFist »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 04:56:34 PM »
"If camping is wrong, i dont wanna be right. "

McAlpine--PbDc

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 09:44:44 AM »
I think camping should only be used as a last resort, e.g. if there is 5+ of them left and only you left on your team and they are closing in. I don't think it should be a tactic to just camp and shot peoplle when they try to get the flag...

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 10:09:45 AM »
GuYs listin 2 him he is pbdc he knows.

a boy can only dream to join a clan that good

pinobot

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 05:32:58 PM »
The verbal abuse i have to take from some players when i defend the flag.
It's not like i'm crouched in a dark corner, i just stand there.
The stupidest thing someone said after being shot about ten times was :"get some skills." :P

scribe

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 07:24:16 PM »
VERY SIMPLE.

No.