Author Topic: Aldi Market - New Map  (Read 7264 times)

Pimp

• VM-68
Aldi Market - New Map
« on: December 06, 2005, 12:26:37 PM »
the time has come where we (bitmate and me) finished a new map, its called aldi (thats a very cheep market in germany and switzerland). Its a siege map, like grave or siegecastle (the best siege  ;)) and it plays in the night, thats all i can say.

PLEASE give me a feedback and tell me whats great and what i can do better, would be very nice.

i have to textures for the flags: http://pasceli.pa.funpic.de/textures/pimp

and if u havent got a ub_texture: http://pasceli.pa.funpic.de/textures/ub_textures

here u can grab the beta version: aldi_test.bsp

and the screens:

Playah

• 68 Carbine
Re: Aldi Market - New Map
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:24:29 PM »
oh looks very nice ;D.....maybe jits should test it with some others on pub?!

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 01:26:24 PM »
If jitspoe would be kind enough to show what to do maps/ beta etc..... i would be glad to host or jitspoe might
looks good

SeZZ

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 01:35:45 PM »
looks very good pimp but where is the http://www.brandchannel.com/images/FeaturesProfile/profile_img1_aldi.gif

do it sexy ;)

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 01:37:03 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:01:14 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 02:26:08 PM »
Just make sure to put it in the beta dir.

I'll check it out when I get home.  From the screenshots it looks like you might want to make the lights brighter.  In that first screen shot, it almost looks like they're not even emitting light.

We also have Aldi's in the US, but I'm not sure if they're the same.  They are really cheap, though.

SeZZ

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 02:54:53 PM »
rofl jits r u serious? aldis in usa? woah god damend germany pwnz lol

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 05:56:22 PM »
Very nice pimp, I will play this when I get home and upload it to OminousBlue if you want to use a match server or get someone to let you test it on the pub.

I look forward to more maps like this - although they may lag those slower folks.
You or Jits let the public know when a good time for testing please. This looks fun and I got plenty of gamma :)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 07:05:14 PM »
we got aldi in the UK too :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 12:46:21 AM »
Missing aldi/cementwall.  I assume that's just the ub_ texture, but you should use it out of the ub directory instead of aldi.  No point in having the same texture in two places.

The layout looks interesting, but there's some tweaking to be done to improve the r_speeds.  First of all, there are some textures that are scaled down.  Don't do this.  Not only does it make the texture look excessively tiled, but it causes the compiler to break the map up into more polygons.  The lightmap is scaled along with the texture, so it's wasting texture memory and bloating the size of the file, too.  See the first screenshot below for how the scaled texture is broken up more than the others.

Second, have you done a full vis?  The vis is kind of funky.  In one spot it looks good, take one step, and you're seeing the entire other side of the map.

I think hint brushes could help you out a lot here.  Also, you've got 1-unit thick brushes on the ground to alternate textures, something like this:

Code: [Select]

That's also a waste of polygons because it has to draw the side of them, too.  It's more work, but it's better to make the brushes all flush along the top, like so:

|               |
      |               |
______|_______________|__________

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 04:27:32 AM »
thanks for ur help, i have scaled down the parking-lines on the floor and the missing texture should now be in the ub_texture folder. I haven't it compiled full, only a fastvis.. i will do a final compile now and put it on later.

and the "chests" inside are also with a 1px brush,
something like this: (the *** are the 1px brush for the ground in the chest)

|         |
   |         |
   |         |
   |_________|
__|___****__|_______

does i have to change this too?

i don't really know how to work with hint brushes.. i've read something about but i dont really understand what to do..

and after the final compile i hope there arent so much r_speed things..

edit: -here is the final compiled version aldi_b2.bsp
-and im trying to learn something about hint brushes :D

edit2: -i've tried to place hint brushes, two pics as attachement, is it right like this?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 09:41:06 AM by Pimp »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 10:29:35 AM »
Sweet, Map Looks Great

-Termin8oR

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 12:24:52 PM »
Yeah, hints like that will probably help.  As will a full vis.

You'll probably want to make the walls a little higher outside -- if you jump, you can see over them through the sky.  Also, I'd use a different texture for the doors and that guard thing.  Nobody makes doors out of tiles. :)  I'd use a different texture for the trailer as well.

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 09:46:20 AM »
i think thats the finnished version, have fun...

http://www.gymmuenchenstein.ch/pasci/maps/aldi.ZIP

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 10:23:26 PM »
Ok, the texture you were using for the road markings is still scaled way down and causing the polygons to be broken up a lot more than they need to be.  The hint brushes and/or full vis has helped with the rspeeds a lot,t hough, but I think you can get them down even more by scaling the textures back up.  Textures should usually be scaled to 1 or higher.  They look blocky now, but we'll be making high res textures for everything eventually, so it'll look much better in the future.

Also, it's still trying to use a texture from the "aldi" directory (aldi/cementwall, I think).

Is a trick jump the only way to get to the vent/ladder?  I'd advise against that.   Map routes should be as accessable to new players as possible.  They have a hard enough time just trying to shoot people -- no need to give them an even further disadvantage.

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 10:59:53 PM »
Is a trick jump the only way to get to the vent/ladder?  I'd advise against that.   Map routes should be as accessable to new players as possible.  They have a hard enough time just trying to shoot people -- no need to give them an even further disadvantage.

Yeah, even trying to trick jump, I still cannot seem to get up there nor up on the roof on the other side, but I haven't spent enough time exploring yet. . .

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 03:00:42 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:05:19 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 09:33:24 AM »
After experimenting a bit more, I was finally able to get up to the vent.  Tough jump.  I like it :D.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 09:59:28 AM »
I still can't get it.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 10:06:47 AM »
lol... It's simply practise.