Author Topic: Make a Wiki  (Read 2895 times)

Apocalypse

• Autococker
Make a Wiki
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:23:16 PM »
I have heard Jits say many times that he doesn't have enough time to design a wiki for paintball and your not sure what program to use but I made this post to give you an idea. First off I also want to let you know I'd be gald to help in any way possible with the wiki. Now to my idea I was thinking that some of the more experienced players and people who are good at making this type of thing and have time such as y00tz (though he may not have much time) approved by Jistpoe to work on finding the best program and then designing the wiki. I'd love some feedback and if Jits approves we could either use this thread or Jits could make a thread for applications.
Thanks,
Apocalypse

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Make a Wiki
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:57:19 PM »
Well, we have the wiki over here, but it will be replaced eventually with a premade wiki program. So zorch did a theme for dokuwiki.

http://zorch.viciouz.co.uk/dp/2/

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
Although the idea is great but people don't even read the stickies in the forums.  Its hard enough to see someone actually read the stickies or search the forums so I my opinion, a new wiki might be a lost cause.  Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to try.  I would be able to help out too.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 06:45:01 PM »
zorch needs to check his excrement >.>, that site may or may not validate, but that really doesn't matter when it breaks in a browser that much of the world still uses (IE6)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:05:19 PM »
Validate?  You kidding?  I still need to get it to render correctly in IE.  :P
That wiki is nowhere near complete.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:02:51 PM »
I already PMed Jitspoe a few days ago about donating a wiki I wrote a few days before, but he said he'd prefer using MediaWiki.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 11:48:12 PM »
I got the same response when I sent him the link a while back.  Apparently, the dokuwiki he has setup (for testing purposes) runs extremely slow.  [Link]

I have a feeling it might be the server or something similar.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 08:53:41 AM »
Well, we have the wiki over here, but it will be replaced eventually with a premade wiki program. So zorch did a theme for dokuwiki.

http://zorch.viciouz.co.uk/dp/2/
I know about the current wiki I have an article in there but why do you think Jits hasn't linked it to the main page?
Because it's a piece of excrement of course he doesn't like it either he has said many times he wanted to use media wiki and put some good content on it and so on.
About him saying no to you guys how long ago was this he may have changed his mind if it was a while but if it wasn't I might as well lock this thread.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 09:34:12 PM »
It was more than just docuwiki being slow - it lacked some features I wanted, too.  Like I don't think you could include files, or parts of files.  There's a lot of content I'd like to have in the wiki, and it would be nice if it were easily reusable and handled a lot of things automagically.  I don't want to turn down efforts to help, but at the same time, I don't want to get stuck with something that we'll have to abandon down the road due to lack of functionality or something that requires a lot of extra effort for tasks that are automated with alternative solutions.  The reason I keep leaning toward mediawiki is because it has a huge amount of development behind it and has undergone rigorous testing with massive sites like wikipedia.