Poll

Should I create a mod off of Dp or Tremulous?

Tremulous
1 (10%)
Source
0 (0%)
Quake III
3 (30%)
Other
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: June 20, 2008, 06:15:04 PM

Author Topic: Creating A Mod  (Read 3373 times)

IronFist

• Autococker
Re: Creating A Mod
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »
Oh it is very nice looks like it would run extremely smoothly also I can normally decipher what they engines are written in but from now on what it is written in for example C or C++(hopefully not) or something else so if I do not know the language I don't go to look at it.

It shouldn't matter. If you know C++, you won't take long to figure out C. If you know C, then spend 1-2 days here:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I think you're leading us on a wild goose chase. I've do this quite often in the past (map releases, curious programs written in visual basic), so I'm not trying to attack you there. I think you're hoping that by vocalizing your ideas, they'll manifest themselves easier.

Just pick an engine and do it for fun. It's probably going to be more about the learning experience than actually producing some killer game. Your inspiration won't last long if you're hit with setbacks (you need to review a lot of math, you don't have media you really want to have, you don't have the time to invest in the project, etc.), so you might as well shoot low until you're sure you can really handle it. Getting proper vehicle physics alone into quake 2/3 is quite a project unto itself.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
Re: Creating A Mod
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »
It shouldn't matter. If you know C++, you won't take long to figure out C. If you know C, then spend 1-2 days here:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I think you're leading us on a wild goose chase. I've do this quite often in the past (map releases, curious programs written in visual basic), so I'm not trying to attack you there. I think you're hoping that by vocalizing your ideas, they'll manifest themselves easier.

Just pick an engine and do it for fun. It's probably going to be more about the learning experience than actually producing some killer game. Your inspiration won't last long if you're hit with setbacks (you need to review a lot of math, you don't have media you really want to have, you don't have the time to invest in the project, etc.), so you might as well shoot low until you're sure you can really handle it. Getting proper vehicle physics alone into quake 2/3 is quite a project unto itself.
I supose you are right I will just take out the vehichles. I'm going to take IronFists advice, I've locked voting but I'll leave the thread open incase anyone wishes to continue a debate about which engine is the best.