Author Topic: A Guide to Catching Hackers...  (Read 4930 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
A Guide to Catching Hackers...
« on: December 12, 2005, 10:41:54 AM »
Since I can see we are going to have a flood of potential hacking accusations. I thought it wise to give an explaination on how to demo suspected hackers.

1) Demo in FIRST PERSON view (clicking your fire button while in the suspects CAM will cycle through the three possible views). We need to see exactly what the suspect sees.

2) Demo as much of the suspect's play as possible. A whole game, a whole match, or even more. The more play we have of the suspect, the better we can evaluate.

3) Demo silently, without in-game commentary or accusation. The easiest way to make a suspected hacker stop hacking for the moment is to make them aware that you suspect them. Simply record your demo (as an observer if possible) and make your post. We'll handle the rest.

4) Do not post screenshots. Simply post the demo, and list any key rounds or places you feel are conclusive. This way we can key on those areas, and also view the entire demo for things missed. This keeps the posts small and fast without load times for useless images.

If anyone else has any valuable tips on catching hackers feel free to post them here.

SeZZ

• Stingray
Re: A Guide to Catching Hackers...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 10:45:41 AM »
nice one s8n

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 10:46:51 AM »
I basically agree with all of it. I mean thats how I was caught :-p. Anyways, I've got a couple demos of PiCaSSo if anyone wants them to watch them over. I feel they are pretty conclusive that he is using a wall hack(he was on q2 at the time also(not saying all q2 users hack either)) But nicely done once again S8N.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 01:50:51 PM »
Is it hard to tell good recon in a wall hack accusation?

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 01:57:08 PM »
Loial, how many people type recon in pub games really? Only recon that is givin is usually in matches.  But, you can still tell if they wall hack or not in a match wether they have voice recon or not.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 02:04:14 PM »
As in the Clipz case, I went to his team mates and asked them if they were giving him recon. In most cases I think even the suspected cheater team would be interested in exposing a suspected cheater, and cooperate.

But, you are correct, good recon can make you look like you are wallhacking, to some extent.
Recon will always be considered when researching a possible cheat suspect.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 02:20:19 PM »
Loial, how many people type recon in pub games really? Only recon that is givin is usually in matches. But, you can still tell if they wall hack or not in a match wether they have voice recon or not.
vent or ts I ment, sorry so cryptic

*oops you mentioned that

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 03:19:23 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:05:44 AM by Dirty_Taco »

charlie

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 05:33:45 PM »
blitz_bob_pbcup.dm2 ....S8N watch that with the wallhack on and right at the beginning, look at Bobs spray where hes expecting Blitz to jump from that ladder thing, and then realised hes stopped so he stops spraying. But of course, you'll deny that cause you're er33t.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 05:45:26 PM »
What bob did is common to anyone on a rush in pbcup. Notice how he's rushing without refilling co2, so he can't spray and waste the few shots he has when there's no on there. If I was there or on the route there from the L doing a jump he would've either hit me in the first couple shots, or seen me. Stopping shooting after not seeing me with a limited amount of co2 is just common sense.

Also common sense: why would bob send me demos of him playing if he was wallhacking? He did this willingly, and watching the whole thing anyone can tell there's no cheating going on..

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 05:51:40 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:51:24 AM by P!nk »

BSoD

• Stingray
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 06:07:50 PM »
Tip from a hacker: Its almost a human instinct to try and look at an enemy, so if you see someone looking at a wall then looking away (A lot, not just once) it could be that he's looking at the enemies through the walls then realizing he shouldnt see em ;)

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 08:01:17 PM »
Way to state the obvious BSoD.

Seems like people are becoming even more clueless as the days pass, if that's even possible.

BSoD

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 08:08:15 PM »
You wouldnt believe how many people don't know do that James :P

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »
Way to state the obvious BSoD.

Seems like people are becoming even more clueless as the days pass, if that's even possible.
Takes one to know...wait thats been mentioned

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 08:20:55 PM »
wtf loial...  nothing but a pest...

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 08:24:37 PM »
wtf loial...  nothing but a pest...
WHat I mentioned this before with Taco, and speaking of pessimism toward someone....turn that frown up sidedown and maybe just maybe, you will understand where I am comming from/

pinobot

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 09:17:04 PM »
....turn that frown up sidedown and maybe just maybe, you will understand where I am comming from/
sesame street ?

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 09:17:45 PM »
....turn that frown up sidedown and maybe just maybe, you will understand where I am comming from/
sesame street ?
IDK heard it at work.

Sandman

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 10:13:37 PM »
3) Demo silently, without in-game commentary or accusation. The easiest way to make a suspected hacker stop hacking for the moment is to make them aware that you suspect them. Simply record your demo (as an observer if possible) and make your post. We'll handle the rest.
 Handle the rest...How exactly is that?