Author Topic: 550 Error  (Read 2252 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
550 Error
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:11:09 AM »
Ehh, woke up this morning to find my website had been so called "hacked" by teh person who did it.  Sorta screwed around with my .php files so i decided to start from scratch with the CMS's.  When I came across a few directories though i kept getting a 550 Error.  Its starting to occur even more and the only active directory i can use is /files/ which was untouched, probably due to the fact that there are no php/html or anything files in there.

I'm using FileZilla on Windows, sometimes says stuff like "I removed the file/folder" nd stuff like that but it doesn't.  I tried on linux with lftp and it actually gives me teh 550 error.  Google wasn't really a help to me as well, checked a few forums, etc and only found people fixing it by actually using a remote session on the server.  I would really like to remove these folders/files as I want to rebuild my site again.  They are just in the way and I can't overwrite, rename or anything to them.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: 550 Error
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
Can you telnet into the server and do it from the command line?  That will get rid of any possible extranious error messages that you might be getting.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »
Can you change the read/write permissions?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:41:54 PM »
Can you change the read/write permissions?
Meaning chmod?  It depends if I can get inside the folder.  If the folder just brings up some error when I try to open it no, but if i can see whats inside it then yes.
Can you telnet into the server and do it from the command line?  That will get rid of any possible extranious error messages that you might be getting.
Well, this is a linux server so would that still work?  If it does i'll try it after school.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:42:37 PM »
On the folder itself, I mean.  If it's a specific exploit/hack/worm, you might be able to find information on how to repair your server.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:33:45 PM »
How did they get in? Is this virtual hosting? You'd probably have to SSH in... but it depends what kind of hosting you're using here.

The FTP user might be different from the user that PHP runs under, and the person may have changed the permissions in a way so that you can't access it.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »
Well this is just some Webspace that I got a friend to setup for me.  Eg: Subdomain.  So I don't exactly have that much control over it.  Well when I looked through the folders I found some wierd c33.php or something in my upload script directory, dunno how it got there cos I disabled uploades for .php and they edited the index.html file in there as well.  I think through there they had full access to everything in the FTP directory and screwed around with all of the .php files etc.  What I don't understand is how that affects deleting a directory.

PHP User?  Nah, I created those directories when I started rebuilding.  Then when I found that as soon as the files were uploaded they wouldn't CHMOD to 644 or 755 for me I realised that error.  If so then I have no clue on how to get into the PHP as there is no control panel on the server right now, used to be but got moved to another server in Australia and anything I put on there has to have no need for databases of any sort.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 02:31:47 AM »

Thats the crap I get in FileZilla trying to remove a directory that had DokuWiki installed in it at one stage before it was installed.  I sorta murdered my linux last night by updating and killing the graphics driver and now I can't boot gdm.  So hopefully I can get that back as well.  Thank god that reports are written and I have no homework for 4-5 weeks :).

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:12:28 PM »
For your Linux, if you run out of patience with trying to fix your xorg.conf and graphics driver, try this out: http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
It's helpful for those times when you're on Linux and stuck with some ATI card from the deepest depths of Hell.

Try SSH on the server, or ask an admin on the server to "chown -R user:user /home/user/*" directory or wherever you're storing the files.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 12:12:59 AM »
TinMan, very helpful :).  I was able to find that there were .htaccess files in each of the folders I couldn't remove.  So if i removed those I could remove the folder.  Although I found I could SSH but I tried that exact command to the folder with the files that wouldn't remove in the image above and it wouldn't work.  Asked a friend if he could have a go at it and found that those files are getting used by the server or something.  He moved the folders out of the FTP directory for me but still would like to know how to remove them.  I think they were part of DokuWiki.  And I don't really want to go installing that again unless  I can actually remove them.

With the vid card for linux I'm not exactly going to be able to get to that in a rush because my mum got pissed at me last night for having a fight with my brother and got my dad to put a BIOS password on there.  I know the bd pass but if dad found out then I have no clue what would happen :P.