Author Topic: Turning Google Sketchup models into maps  (Read 2460 times)

wallpainter08

• Stingray
Turning Google Sketchup models into maps
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »
Does anyone know any way to turn Google Sketchup models into maps.  I tried to use the bsp that Jitsope suggested...but I got a headace before I even opened it.

If u could tell me that would be great because I have about three great maps that will be done if i can somehow export it into DP.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Turning Google Sketchup models into maps
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:39:22 PM »
I don't know that there's a(n easy) way to do that, especially if you find just opening BSP difficult.

wallpainter08

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »
I am able to do many different types of things on the computer...I just did not want to learn all about bsp.  But whatever it may...(even if it is diffucult) I would still like to know.  Just to give it a try.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »
Well, in order to learn an alternate, undocumented, and custom method, you will need to know at least the basics.

wallpainter08

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 05:22:19 AM »
I know how to work and modfiy everything on my computer including basic and advanced things (c++,c)...I just did not want to learn all about bsp when I knew about a couple of other modelling softwares.

SO if you know, no matter how hard it may be, I need to know so I can turn this intoo a map

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 07:36:29 AM »
Well, Sketchup and BSP are so disparate in their mechanics, I don't think you'll ever get them to work interchangably.

Sketchup exports only .kmz and .skp format files, none of which are compatible with BSP. BSP isn't that hard anyway, if you can work Sketchup then you can at least have a good go at BSP. There are lots of tutorials in the stickies to help you, and a lot of us on hand to give you BSP advice.

At the very least, your Sketchup versions can be used as advanced concept sketches for designing your map, the sort of thing I personally find very helpful to the map making process.

- Dagless

wallpainter08

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 07:47:11 AM »
Ok, I guess I'll give BSP another try...this time reading throughly...but if anyone is really good and quick with BSP, but needs an idea, I can post or pm you some pictures you can work off of.