Author Topic: "No signal" error..  (Read 3477 times)

Laged

• 68 Carbine
"No signal" error..
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:16:31 PM »
When I play digital paint or any other game for too long my computer goes crazy. First the whole computer lags a lot and I can't even move the mouse. Then the screen goes something like this, I tried to take a screenshot from it. I didn't manage to get the whole screen but thats almost half of it.

If I keep playing or watching videos after that my computer starts doing the same in about half an hour. The only difference is that the screen doesn't go like that, it simply goes black and says "No signal". When it does that my computer is still on, the screen just doesn't show anything but black.

My computer is pretty old but it is enough for the minimum requirements for the games I play. A friend of mine told that it might be because my video card overheats, if so, how can I fix it without buying a new video card?

Oh right, my actual video card is a crappy CONNECT 3D RADEON 9600 Series 128M.

Anyway I'm buying a new laptop soon so I won't buy a new video card to this comp but it would be nice to fix this problem somehow.

Thanks in advance.
- Laged

IronFist

• Autococker
Re: "No signal" error..
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:24:32 PM »
It sounds very much like your graphics card is overheating. Take the side off the case while it is running and see if the video card fan is still operating. Also, you might need to go in there and clear out some dust bunnies.

I had the same problem with my Radeon 9800, which I punished to the point where even slight heat escalation resulted in video problems (I could also take screenshots of it, so it was clear it wasn't something magical happening between just the video output and my monitor).

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow. Too tired to try it now.
I cleared the dust from there about 2 months ago, I will do it again.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »
and take the cover off and put a outside fan on it to see if that helps

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »
Rofl, just get a fan inside teh computer somewhere.  I have about 6 in mine :).

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 03:25:38 AM »
Eerm, Cameron, how can you put 6 of these inside your computer?:O

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 04:13:11 AM »
I was talking about 6 inbuilt fans.  2 to cool the inside, 1 on the processor, 1 on the sound card, 1 on the vid card and i think is another one somewhere.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 11:33:32 AM »
Oh right, are those expensive to buy?

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »
Oh right, are those expensive to buy?

No, you can get cheap ones on newegg for $3-5 depending on what you want. The only thing is, unless you actually have a lot of empty places to put fans, you will have to start dremel tooling your case to fit all those in there. If you do decide to do dremel, go with 120mm fans so that you don't have to put in as many. Make sure you get proper airflow (for every fan that runs air in, have one run air out, and make sure it goes a direction, like front-to-back in the case).

I would just take the side off the case and point that fan you have up there at it. Your system will get filled with dust a bit faster, and will look ghetto, but it works.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 01:29:28 PM »
Kk, haven't tried yet but I will soon. I'll tell you what happens.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 02:30:20 PM »
Newegg is GOD!

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »
They're prices are more expensive then tigerdirects, but with big orders, the no tax makes a bit cheaper =\

I've had bad luck with newegg anyway, 2 dead motherboards, and hopefully this third one works when it comes next week.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 03:39:51 PM »
$3 to 5 bucks?  CHEAP FANS.  I bought about 2 of those for the fans that take the air in and outside of the box and it started rattling after a week.  It sounds horrible but only does it when its booting.  Partly because I have to whack the side of the box pretty darn hard and it shuts up.  I've got a nice $30 on my processor and it works perfectly.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »
My friend is constantly blowing money on newegg. But its good for me becuse I have a reference to all that is good and all that I shouldn't invest in.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »
My computer went "no signal" again.
Take the side off the case while it is running and see if the video card fan is still operating. Also, you might need to go in there and clear out some dust bunnies.
I opened the computer and the fans were operating.
I cleared it from the dust I found, I'll let you know if the error still happens.

I won't use the cover for a while to see if it helps. I haven't placed a new fan yet but I will if it keeps doing the same.

Oh, I almost forgot, I took a pic with my mobile phone when I was clearing the comp from dust:

More fans needed?
Thanks for the help.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 11:39:19 AM »
Does the video card even have a fan?

The ultimate solution to your problem is to get an nVidia card. :P

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »
Well not sure if the video card has it's own fan but I think those fans are enough.
And yeah, an nVidia card would probably fix it all but I'm buying a new laptop (which has an nVidia GeForce 8700M GT 512Mb BTW) soon. That's why I won't probably buy a new video card to this, old, comp.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 04:50:23 PM »
How does Paintball2 run?  You might try getting ATITool and underclocking it before you play.

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 05:04:44 PM »
Paintball2 runs fine for a while but when my computer gets hot the error happens.
Well it hasn't happened today after I cleared the comp and took the case off.
I'll see if the error keeps happening, if it does i might get ATITool.
Thanks.