Author Topic: Blender Improvement? (EDIT: Details about PB vid.)  (Read 2862 times)

Fanoto

• PGP
Blender Improvement? (EDIT: Details about PB vid.)
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:31:15 AM »
Sorry for yet another topic, but was simply wondering something. I stumbled upon the flag .md2 file and looked at it through Blender. Seemed fairly simply, cloth itself three segments and was wondering if the quality was improved, and implemented into the whole game thing or whatever, would the high quality of the animation slow down the game or game play or not because it's prerecorded? Thanks in advance for your responses. (Didn't modify anything, simply stumbled upon the model, it is still in it's original state.)

-Fanoto

P.S. - Sorry for the second topic, but didn't think this fit under the other.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:18:56 PM by Fanoto »

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Blender Improvement?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:40:40 PM »
If you upped the polies it would probably have a negative effect on performance for some people, but not for most.  Are you implying you want to make a higher poly version?  If you have modeling/texturing skills, I suggest perusing our feature vote list.

Fanoto

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »
If you upped the polies it would probably have a negative effect on performance for some people, but not for most.  Are you implying you want to make a higher poly version?  If you have modeling/texturing skills, I suggest perusing our feature vote list.
I was originally just interested in the flag, but a higher poly version would be pretty sweet. I would really want to help, but I thought with the Q2 engine we were limited with graphics, polys and such.

Fanoto

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:18:06 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but anywhom...I've been wondering about just how far the engine can be pushed, cause I've began making my own models and junk. As I was working, I was also wondering about a video. So today, I setup a scene, added the basic models, baked cloths for test, etc. I have a neat idea in mind, but have yet to start on the camera movements and lighting. Below, I've rendered a single frame from a simple front on view. This is simply an example, I plan to add on the flag textures from the game to the basic colored flags, get a nice dim-ish lighting, have a paint splat on the helmet, all the junk. Also, you may notice a very light pixelation on the helmet and flags, but I plan to add subsurf before final draft. Comments?

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Blender Improvement? (EDIT: Details about PB vid.)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 06:24:57 AM »
I'm confused, where do you plan on using this video, in the game?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:07:26 AM »
The flag models are just really old (1998).  It would certainly be possible to create higher-poly models.  The limitation wouldn't be so much on the engine as it would be on people's machines.  I've actually had some ideas for better flags - with texture scripts it would be possible to create little cloth ripples without using a bunch of polygons.  If you make high-poly versions, use the skm format so you don't have vertex wobble.

Fanoto

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:48:52 PM »
I'm confused, where do you plan on using this video, in the game?
No, I was simply working on a few possible promo video ideas, this is simply the first I've started on.

The flag models are just really old (1998).  It would certainly be possible to create higher-poly models.  The limitation wouldn't be so much on the engine as it would be on people's machines.  I've actually had some ideas for better flags - with texture scripts it would be possible to create little cloth ripples without using a bunch of polygons.  If you make high-poly versions, use the skm format so you don't have vertex wobble.
Yeah, for the actual in-game models I was looking for something like that, just couldn't remember what the format was called. Would exporting an HL2 .smd be compatible or should I keep looking?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 08:30:35 AM »
You can convert .smd to .skm.